Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Default Android-tools

Timothy Murphy wrote:

What exactly is the package for?
Is there any documentation (or blog) just describing
exactly how someone uses the package,
ie the commands given and the effect they have?

Does the program assume some application is running on the phone?
If so, what application is this?

By reading the "yum info android-tools" output, I discerned that the
package is for debugging Android devices. If you are developing Android
applications it might be helpful. If you are an end-user looking for
something to send text messages with it, it won't help you.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Timothy Murphy

Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> package is for debugging Android devices. If you are developing Android
> applications it might be helpful. If you are an end-user looking for
> something to send text messages with it, it won't help you.

Thank you for the enlightenment.
I see that the program is indeed not for me.

I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,
and vice versa.
But this appears to be impossible?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Dick Roark

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> package is for debugging Android devices. If you are developing Android

> applications it might be helpful. If you are an end-user looking for

> something to send text messages with it, it won't help you.

Thank you for the enlightenment.

I see that the program is indeed not for me.

I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,

and vice versa.

But this appears to be impossible?

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Have you tried moving the addresses to the SD card (assuming your phone has one) and them transferring them to the computer vis USB?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 01:38:07 +0000
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,
> and vice versa.
> But this appears to be impossible?

If you can export contacts in VCARD format you can then import
the VCARD file from the Contacts app on the phone, but beware
they will all be invisible till you search for and find the
settings buried down in some menu I've forgotten how to find
that says to make locally stored contacts visible as well as
contacts synced from google.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Michael Cronenworth

I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,
and vice versa.
But this appears to be impossible?

Can you not sync with Google and then sync using "Contacts" in Gnome 3?

I do not have an Android phone, but my Google IM (GTalk) contacts show
up for me in the Contacts app in Gnome 3.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Timothy Murphy

Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> On 02/09/2012 07:38 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,
>> and vice versa.
>> But this appears to be impossible?
>
> Can you not sync with Google and then sync using "Contacts" in Gnome 3?

Thanks for your response.
But by "sync" do you mean transfer from Google to the phone?
Actually, my first wish - I didn't make this clear -
is to transfer contacts from the phone to my computer or to google.
I don't know how to do this.
Also, I'm a KDE user, though I guess anything in Gnome
probably have an equivalent somewhere in KDE.

Incidentally, I've always assumed that the word "sync" meant
to make the data in two places, eg phone and computer, the same.
But it seems to be used in this context simply to mean
"transfer from A to B".

Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Timothy Murphy

Dick Roark wrote:

>> I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,
>> and vice versa.
>> But this appears to be impossible?

> Have you tried moving the addresses to the SD card (assuming your phone
> has one) and them transferring them to the computer vis USB?

Thanks for your response.

Actually, I haven't yet inserted an SD card into the phone,
though the phone does have that facility.
I do see some comments on transferring data to the SD card,
so your suggestion may well be the way to go.
I shall pursue the matter.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Genes MailLists

On 02/10/2012 07:21 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
>> On 02/09/2012 07:38 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,
>>> and vice versa.
>>> But this appears to be impossible?
>>
>> Can you not sync with Google and then sync using "Contacts" in Gnome 3?
>
> Thanks for your response.
> But by "sync" do you mean transfer from Google to the phone?
> Actually, my first wish - I didn't make this clear -
> is to transfer contacts from the phone to my computer or to google.
> I don't know how to do this.
> Also, I'm a KDE user, though I guess anything in Gnome
> probably have an equivalent somewhere in KDE.
>
> Incidentally, I've always assumed that the word "sync" meant
> to make the data in two places, eg phone and computer, the same.
> But it seems to be used in this context simply to mean
> "transfer from A to B".

It does keep the 2 in sync - sounds lke you turned off the sync part
in your phone - otherwise all your contacts would be visible in gmail
contacts via browser. If thats the case just turn sync back on on your
phone and you're done.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Thanks for your response.
But by "sync" do you mean transfer from Google to the phone?
Actually, my first wish - I didn't make this clear -
is to transfer contacts from the phone to my computer or to google.
I don't know how to do this.

No. You can sync your phone with Google. That means, literally, that
your phone will sync your contacts, and whatever else, with your Google
account. This will make all your data visible from a web browser on
google.com (gmail for contacts, calendar, etc.). If you make changes on
google.com and sync with your phone those changes will be reflected on
your phone.

Also, I'm a KDE user, though I guess anything in Gnome
probably have an equivalent somewhere in KDE.

A quick Google search turned this up:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=61649

Incidentally, I've always assumed that the word "sync" meant
to make the data in two places, eg phone and computer, the same.
But it seems to be used in this context simply to mean
"transfer from A to B"

No, I literally meant sync. Not "sync".

Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Timothy Murphy

Genes MailLists wrote:

>> Incidentally, I've always assumed that the word "sync" meant
>> to make the data in two places, eg phone and computer, the same.
>> But it seems to be used in this context simply to mean
>> "transfer from A to B".
>
> It does keep the 2 in sync - sounds lke you turned off the sync part
> in your phone - otherwise all your contacts would be visible in gmail
> contacts via browser. If thats the case just turn sync back on on your
> phone and you're done.

I haven't turned anything on or off on the phone.
Do you have an Android phone?
I have been advised that I should go to Settings=>Advanced on the phone,
but there is no such item on my phone in the Settings menu.
(The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2, running Android 2.3.3 .)
I'm running the application Funambol Sync .

For some reason, keeping contacts under Fedora/KDE is a nightmare for me.
I want to have one contacts list which I can reach on any computer,
so I keeping my contacts under OpenLDAP on my server.
If there is an alternative I would be interested to hear of it.

Sadly, Windows scores 9/10 in this area, while Fedora scores 1/10 .