Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Googlecl

I have yum-installed googlecl
following a suggestion on this newsgroup,
but I have been unable to work out how to use it,
or indeed what it is supposed to do.

According to the README.txt in /usr/share/doc/
"If you have no idea what this project is or is about,
poke around on our home page at http://code.google.com/p/googlecl."

I have done that, and I still have no idea
what the project is or is about.

Could some kind soul explain to me gently
exactly what commands he/she gave,
and what effect they had ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Frank Elsner

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 16:31:40 +0000 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have yum-installed googlecl
> following a suggestion on this newsgroup,
> but I have been unable to work out how to use it,
> or indeed what it is supposed to do.
>
> According to the README.txt in /usr/share/doc/
> "If you have no idea what this project is or is about,
> poke around on our home page at http://code.google.com/p/googlecl."
>
> I have done that, and I still have no idea
> what the project is or is about.

So obviously you don't neeed it.

--Frank Elsner

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Joe Zeff

According to the README.txt in/usr/share/doc/
"If you have no idea what this project is or is about,
poke around on our home page athttp://code.google.com/p/googlecl."

Am I the only one on this list who reads that as, "We can't be bothered
to write comprehensible documentation, so it's up to you to figure it
all out on your own."

Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Rick Stevens

following a suggestion on this newsgroup,
but I have been unable to work out how to use it,
or indeed what it is supposed to do.

According to the README.txt in /usr/share/doc/
"If you have no idea what this project is or is about,
poke around on our home page at http://code.google.com/p/googlecl."

I have done that, and I still have no idea
what the project is or is about.

Could some kind soul explain to me gently
exactly what commands he/she gave,
and what effect they had ...

They're command-line tools for google apps like picasa and such. You
probably don't need them unless you want to do things such as posting
videos to Youtube, copy a bunch of photos to picasa, or add entries to
your Google calendar via shell scripts. I'd guess 90% of people have
no use for these...they'd rather use the GUI equivalents via their
browsers.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 AM
NOSpaze

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 16:31 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have yum-installed googlecl
> I have done that, and I still have no idea
> what the project is or is about.

Tim, I don't use it for a long time. But I still have some notes, which
could for that reason be outdated. I've used it mainly to maintain my
calendar and check it from everywhere. Here they are:

Blogger
google blogger post --tags "GoogleCL, awesome" --title "Test Post" "I'm posting from the command line"
google blogger post blogpost.txt
google blogger list title,url-site # List posts
google blogger delete --title "Test Post"
google delete --title "Silly post number [0-9]*" # Delete posts matching regex
google tag --title "Dev post" --tags "Python, software" # label an existing post

Calendar
google calendar add "Dinner party with George today at 6pm" # add event to calendar
google calendar today # List events for today only.
google calendar list --date 2010-06-01,2010-06-30 # List events.
google calendar delete --title "Dinner party with George" # Delete an event.
google calendar today list --cal .* | egrep '[.*]' # List all calendars

Contacts
google contacts add "J. Random Hacker, jrandom@example.com"
google contacts list name,email --title "J. Random Hacker"
google contacts delete --title "J. Random Hacker"

Docs
google docs delete --title "Evidence"
google docs list title,url-direct --delimiter ": " # list docs
google docs upload the_bobs.csv ~/work/docs_to_share/*
gdata-python-client >= 1.3.0 ONLY
google docs edit --title "Shopping list" --editor vim
google docs get --title "Homework [0-9]*"

Picasa
google picasa create --title "Vermont Test" --tags Vermont vermont.jpg
google picasa get --title "Vermont Test" /path/to/download/folder
google picasa list title,url-direct --query "A tag"
google picasa post --title "Vermont Test" ~/old_photos/*.jpg # Add to an album
google picasa tag --title "Vermont Test" --tags "places"
google picasa delete --title "Vermont Test" # delete entire album

Youtube
google youtube post --category Education --devtags GoogleCL killer_robots.avi
google youtube delete --title "killer_robots.avi"
google youtube list # list my videos
google youtube tag -n ".*robot.*" --tags robot

Greets!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Timothy Murphy

Rick Stevens wrote:

>> According to the README.txt in /usr/share/doc/
>> "If you have no idea what this project is or is about,
>> poke around on our home page at http://code.google.com/p/googlecl."
>>
>> I have done that, and I still have no idea
>> what the project is or is about.
>>
>> Could some kind soul explain to me gently
>> exactly what commands he/she gave,
>> and what effect they had ...
>
> They're command-line tools for google apps like picasa and such. You
> probably don't need them unless you want to do things such as posting
> videos to Youtube, copy a bunch of photos to picasa, or add entries to
> your Google calendar via shell scripts. I'd guess 90% of people have
> no use for these...they'd rather use the GUI equivalents via their
> browsers.

Thank you.

I see that this program is far from my needs or desires.
I just want to transfer contacts from Fedoar/KDE PIM to my Android phone,
and vice versa.
Is this possible under Fedora, or do I have to go over to Windows?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Genes MailLists

On 02/10/2012 07:08 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I see that this program is far from my needs or desires.
> I just want to transfer contacts from Fedoar/KDE PIM to my Android phone,
> and vice versa.
> Is this possible under Fedora, or do I have to go over to Windows?

Just use google sync like most people.

With thunderbird you can use the googlesync addon to sync contacts
with gmail.

KDE/PIM I don't use but hopefully any modern addressbook would have
sync ability - if KDE/PIM has no sync ability then of course it wont
work - you can of course use thunderbird to do it and export it for
re-import ... and vice versa ...

that said if the tool doesn't do what you need you're using the wrong
tool no?

gene

��y�tם��^���au��.�Ǭ�+-��������I�)z��ib� ���7����xZ�^om5�7��4E�� &m�-�����������m=����� ��h

Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Timothy Murphy

Genes MailLists wrote:

>> I see that this program is far from my needs or desires.
>> I just want to transfer contacts from Fedoar/KDE PIM to my Android phone,
>> and vice versa.
>> Is this possible under Fedora, or do I have to go over to Windows?

> Just use google sync like most people.

What do you mean by "use google sync"?
Are you talking about a Fedora program?
According to "man google" there is no option "sync".
Perhaps if you just wrote down the command you give or might give
(under Fedora), and the effect you expect it to have,
I would find it simpler to follow.

Actually, I have some success with
--------------------------------------
[tim@blanche ~]$ sudo google contacts list --title '.*' --user
timothygayleardmurphy@gmail.com
Please log in and/or grant access at
https://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthAuthorizeToken?oauth_token=4%2Fe1gGv73PZ9L9rg xCwT7gLrAJEYtd&hd=default

Please enter the verification code on the success page: ***
Timothy Murphy,tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
--------------------------------------

> KDE/PIM I don't use but hopefully any modern addressbook would have
> sync ability - if KDE/PIM has no sync ability then of course it wont
> work - you can of course use thunderbird to do it and export it for
> re-import ... and vice versa ...

Unfortunately, KAddressBook does not at present appear to be working,
though it does have a facility to import CSV data,
so I guess I could use that to transfer my contacts list from Google.

Actually, I keep all my contacts at present under OpenLDAP,
which KAddressBook is able to access when it is working.

> that said if the tool doesn't do what you need you're using the wrong
> tool no?

I was advised to use googlecl on this newsgroup.
It probably is part of what I need,
but its documentation is very bad, even by Fedora standards.
I find the statement in /usr/share/doc/googlcl*/README.txt
"If you have no idea what this project is or is about,
poke around on our home page at http://code.google.com/p/googlecl."
slightly offensive, apart from being useless since the home page
is even worse.

Sadly, my experience is that any documentation associated with Google
is likely to be difficult to follow and time-consuming,
as the authors appear to want to show how clever they are
instead of communicating basic information.