FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Tim
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

Robin Laing:
>> The CTRL+ALT+(NUM +/-) are for the whole screen. Not just a window.
>>
>> Handy if you are looking at a web page that has small graphics on them
>> or just aging eyes like I do and need to see things bigger than normal.
>>
>> It is related to the x-server.
>>
>> FWIW, it isn't working on my F8 machine with a Nvidia video card.
>>
>> I just looked at my xorg.conf file and I do not have an other resolution
>> in it. I will have to play with the resoultion in the xorg.conf file.


Aaron Konstam:
> This does not work for me in f7.

What's your xorg.conf file like? Those hotkeys switch between different
screen modes listed in your xorg.conf file (e.g. 800x600, 1024x800,
etc.). If you don't have a list of choices, it's not going to switch.

The modern behaviour of X is to not have a list of them in the
configuration file, but for it to automatically use the highest mode
compatible with your monitor and display adaptor, determined when
starting up X.

For things like LCD monitors, it's typically only going have just one
fixed resolution. And you may find it easier to use something else as a
screen magnifier. e.g. I had a play with using compiz's zoom feature a
few days ago, I could hold down a super key and use the mouse wheel to
zoom in and out.

I haven't tried the screen magnifier that's part of the assistive
technologies preferences, I don't know how that does its trick.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 12:55 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 18:23 -0400, William Perkins wrote:
> >> There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
> >> you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
> >> This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
> >> feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
> >> Fedora-7.
> >>
> >> This is show stopper for us. Our vision impaired users are screaming bloody
> >> murder about not being able to use this feature with Fedora-8. We have
> >> had to install Fedora-7 in place of Fedora-8 on those systems, and we will
> >> have to do this Fedora-7 install on all of our servers in order to have
> >> all systems using the same distribution version of Linux.
> >>
> >> We understand a change to the Xorg software was made to the Fedora-8
> >> version to accommodate users of multiple displays. This change apparently
> >> broke the Zoom feature and on the Fedora-8 distribution the Zoom feature
> >> was disabled. Apparently there is a patch to the X windows server that
> >> can be used to re-enable the Zoom feature, but there appears to be no
> >> information available that documents how you get this patch and implement
> >> the feature.
> >>
> >> We will be testing Fedora-9 when it is released to see if the Zoom feature
> >> has been fixed. Otherwise, we will continue to use Fedora-7 as long as we
> >> can until an alternative software distribution can be found, Our having
> >> to use Fedora-7 over Fedora-8 puts a real crimp in our development effort.
> >>
> >> Bill
> >>
> > Thhere is something srang going on. ctrl-+ and ctrl - will magnify and
> > shrink a window. Are you talaking about this or are you referring to the
> > capabilities you get from: System->Personal->Associative Technologies?
> > --
>
> The CTRL+ALT+(NUM +/-) are for the whole screen. Not just a window.
>
> Handy if you are looking at a web page that has small graphics on them
> or just aging eyes like I do and need to see things bigger than normal.
>
>
> It is related to the x-server.
>
> FWIW, it isn't working on my F8 machine with a Nvidia video card.
>
> I just looked at my xorg.conf file and I do not have an other resolution
> in it. I will have to play with the resoultion in the xorg.conf file.
>
> --
> Robin Laing
>
This does not work for me in f7.
--
================================================== =====================
Is this going to involve RAW human ecstasy?
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Les
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:02 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 07:53 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > Robin Laing:
> > >> The CTRL+ALT+(NUM +/-) are for the whole screen. Not just a window.
> > >>
> > >> Handy if you are looking at a web page that has small graphics on them
> > >> or just aging eyes like I do and need to see things bigger than normal.
> > >>
> > >> It is related to the x-server.
> > >>
> > >> FWIW, it isn't working on my F8 machine with a Nvidia video card.
> > >>
> > >> I just looked at my xorg.conf file and I do not have an other resolution
> > >> in it. I will have to play with the resoultion in the xorg.conf file.
> >
> >
> > Aaron Konstam:
> > > This does not work for me in f7.
> >
> > What's your xorg.conf file like? Those hotkeys switch between different
> > screen modes listed in your xorg.conf file (e.g. 800x600, 1024x800,
> > etc.). If you don't have a list of choices, it's not going to switch.
> >
> > The modern behaviour of X is to not have a list of them in the
> > configuration file, but for it to automatically use the highest mode
> > compatible with your monitor and display adaptor, determined when
> > starting up X.
> >
> > For things like LCD monitors, it's typically only going have just one
> > fixed resolution. And you may find it easier to use something else as a
> > screen magnifier. e.g. I had a play with using compiz's zoom feature a
> > few days ago, I could hold down a super key and use the mouse wheel to
> > zoom in and out.
> >
> > I haven't tried the screen magnifier that's part of the assistive
> > technologies preferences, I don't know how that does its trick.
> I need to send my brain in for a memory adjustment. Of course know of
> that feature for changing the resolution of the screen. I have used it
> for years. I need to slap myself a few times and maybe that will help.
>
> And Tim was right again . It is tied to the screen modes listed in
> xorg.conf. I have none listed so ctrl-alt-+ does not work. My computer
> is a laptop with a LCD monitor. I will have to try it on my f8 desktop
> when I get home.
> --
I'm using an LCD, so I guess that settles my hash. Thanks.
Regards,
Les H

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 07:53 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Robin Laing:
> >> The CTRL+ALT+(NUM +/-) are for the whole screen. Not just a window.
> >>
> >> Handy if you are looking at a web page that has small graphics on them
> >> or just aging eyes like I do and need to see things bigger than normal.
> >>
> >> It is related to the x-server.
> >>
> >> FWIW, it isn't working on my F8 machine with a Nvidia video card.
> >>
> >> I just looked at my xorg.conf file and I do not have an other resolution
> >> in it. I will have to play with the resoultion in the xorg.conf file.
>
>
> Aaron Konstam:
> > This does not work for me in f7.
>
> What's your xorg.conf file like? Those hotkeys switch between different
> screen modes listed in your xorg.conf file (e.g. 800x600, 1024x800,
> etc.). If you don't have a list of choices, it's not going to switch.
>
> The modern behaviour of X is to not have a list of them in the
> configuration file, but for it to automatically use the highest mode
> compatible with your monitor and display adaptor, determined when
> starting up X.
>
> For things like LCD monitors, it's typically only going have just one
> fixed resolution. And you may find it easier to use something else as a
> screen magnifier. e.g. I had a play with using compiz's zoom feature a
> few days ago, I could hold down a super key and use the mouse wheel to
> zoom in and out.
>
> I haven't tried the screen magnifier that's part of the assistive
> technologies preferences, I don't know how that does its trick.
I need to send my brain in for a memory adjustment. Of course know of
that feature for changing the resolution of the screen. I have used it
for years. I need to slap myself a few times and maybe that will help.

And Tim was right again . It is tied to the screen modes listed in
xorg.conf. I have none listed so ctrl-alt-+ does not work. My computer
is a laptop with a LCD monitor. I will have to try it on my f8 desktop
when I get home.
--
================================================== =====================
According to my best recollection, I don't remember. -- Vincent "Jimmy
Blue Eyes" Alo
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

William Perkins wrote:

> There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
> you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
> This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
> feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
> Fedora-7.

worksforme, on both F-7 and F-8

-- Rex

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 11:17 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> William Perkins wrote:
>
> > There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
> > you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
> > This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
> > feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
> > Fedora-7.
>
> worksforme, on both F-7 and F-8
>
> -- Rex
>
What is worksforme and where can it be fond?
--
================================================== =====================
George Orwell 1984. Northwestern 0. -- Chicago Reader 10/15/82
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Tim
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 15:00 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> What is worksforme and where can it be fond?

It's a special class of operating condition, and it's fond of his
computer. ;-)

























It means that on his system it just works as he expects without any
noticeable problems.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 08:33 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 15:00 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > What is worksforme and where can it be fond?
>
> It's a special class of operating condition, and it's fond of his
> computer. ;-)
>
Ok, I was zapped again. Anyway I learnt something :-^
--
================================================== =====================
Incumbent, n.: Person of liveliest interest to the outcumbents. --
Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Robin Laing
 
Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

Les wrote:

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:02 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 07:53 +1030, Tim wrote:

Robin Laing:



I'm using an LCD, so I guess that settles my hash. Thanks.
Regards,
Les H



I have used this on LCD monitors at work and laptops.


--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist Voice: 1.403.544.4762
Military Engineering Section FAX: 1.403.544.4704
Defence R&D Canada - Suffield Email: Robin.Laing@DRDC-RDDC.gc.ca
PO Box 4000, Station Main WWW:http://www.suffield.drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Medicine Hat, AB, T1A 8K6
Canada

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org