-   -   Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/63074-desktop-zoom-not-working-fedora-8-a.html)

Tim 04-02-2008 09:23 PM

Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

Robin Laing:
>> The CTRL+ALT+(NUM +/-) are for the whole screen. Not just a window.
>>
>> Handy if you are looking at a web page that has small graphics on them
>> or just aging eyes like I do and need to see things bigger than normal.
>>
>> It is related to the x-server.
>>
>> FWIW, it isn't working on my F8 machine with a Nvidia video card.
>>
>> I just looked at my xorg.conf file and I do not have an other resolution
>> in it. I will have to play with the resoultion in the xorg.conf file.

Aaron Konstam:
> This does not work for me in f7.

What's your xorg.conf file like? Those hotkeys switch between different
screen modes listed in your xorg.conf file (e.g. 800x600, 1024x800,
etc.). If you don't have a list of choices, it's not going to switch.

The modern behaviour of X is to not have a list of them in the
configuration file, but for it to automatically use the highest mode
compatible with your monitor and display adaptor, determined when
starting up X.

For things like LCD monitors, it's typically only going have just one
fixed resolution. And you may find it easier to use something else as a
screen magnifier. e.g. I had a play with using compiz's zoom feature a
few days ago, I could hold down a super key and use the mouse wheel to
zoom in and out.

I haven't tried the screen magnifier that's part of the assistive
technologies preferences, I don't know how that does its trick.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Aaron Konstam 04-02-2008 09:55 PM

Les 04-03-2008 03:55 PM

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:02 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 07:53 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > Robin Laing:

> > Aaron Konstam:
> > > This does not work for me in f7.
> >
> > What's your xorg.conf file like? Those hotkeys switch between different
> > screen modes listed in your xorg.conf file (e.g. 800x600, 1024x800,
> > etc.). If you don't have a list of choices, it's not going to switch.
> >
> > The modern behaviour of X is to not have a list of them in the
> > configuration file, but for it to automatically use the highest mode
> > compatible with your monitor and display adaptor, determined when
> > starting up X.
> >
> > For things like LCD monitors, it's typically only going have just one
> > fixed resolution. And you may find it easier to use something else as a
> > screen magnifier. e.g. I had a play with using compiz's zoom feature a
> > few days ago, I could hold down a super key and use the mouse wheel to
> > zoom in and out.
> >
> > I haven't tried the screen magnifier that's part of the assistive
> > technologies preferences, I don't know how that does its trick.
> I need to send my brain in for a memory adjustment. Of course know of
> that feature for changing the resolution of the screen. I have used it
> for years. I need to slap myself a few times and maybe that will help.
>
> And Tim was right again . It is tied to the screen modes listed in
> xorg.conf. I have none listed so ctrl-alt-+ does not work. My computer
> is a laptop with a LCD monitor. I will have to try it on my f8 desktop
> when I get home.
> --
I'm using an LCD, so I guess that settles my hash. Thanks.
Regards,
Les H

Aaron Konstam 04-03-2008 04:02 PM

Rex Dieter 04-03-2008 04:17 PM

William Perkins wrote:

> There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
> you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
> This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
> feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
> Fedora-7.

worksforme, on both F-7 and F-8

-- Rex

Aaron Konstam 04-03-2008 09:00 PM

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 11:17 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> William Perkins wrote:
>
> > There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
> > you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
> > This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
> > feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
> > Fedora-7.
>
> worksforme, on both F-7 and F-8
>
> -- Rex

What is worksforme and where can it be fond?

Tim 04-03-2008 10:03 PM

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 15:00 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> What is worksforme and where can it be fond?

It's a special class of operating condition, and it's fond of his
computer. ;-)

It means that on his system it just works as he expects without any
noticeable problems.

Aaron Konstam 04-04-2008 02:25 PM

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 08:33 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 15:00 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > What is worksforme and where can it be fond?
>
> It's a special class of operating condition, and it's fond of his
> computer. ;-)

Ok, I was zapped again. Anyway I learnt something :-^

Robin Laing 04-04-2008 05:45 PM

Les wrote:

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:02 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 07:53 +1030, Tim wrote:

Robin Laing:

I'm using an LCD, so I guess that settles my hash. Thanks.
Regards,
Les H

I have used this on LCD monitors at work and laptops.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist Voice: 1.403.544.4762