Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Patrick Dupre

Default error 15

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Mark Panen wrote:

On 09/02/2012 14:25, Patrick Dupre wrote:

Hello,

After a fresh install, fedora 16 does not boot
error 15 file not found.
How can I debug this?

Thank.

Did you make your /boot partition on the first partition?

No, it is in sda6

--
---

Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Mark Panen

On 09/02/2012 14:34, Patrick Dupre wrote:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Mark Panen wrote:

On 09/02/2012 14:25, Patrick Dupre wrote:

Hello,

After a fresh install, fedora 16 does not boot
error 15 file not found.
How can I debug this?

Thank.

Did you make your /boot partition on the first partition?

No, it is in sda6

it need to be in the first partition.

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/2012 14:34, Patrick Dupre wrote:

>>> Did you make your /boot partition on the first partition?
>>
>> No, it is in sda6
>>>

> it need to be in the first partition.

I'm not aware of the specific limitations on what type of partition
can be used as a boot partition (MSDOS partition only, GPT, GTP/MSDOS
hybrid), but I know it doesn't need to be the first partition,
however, unless you are going to use another bootloader (I've
bootstrapped GRUB from NTLDR), you do need to install GRUB to the boot
sector of the drive (not the /boot partition).

Richard

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM

On 02/09/2012 12:25 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After a fresh install, fedora 16 does not boot error 15 file not found.
>
> How can I debug this?
-=-

you do not mention if this is at beginning of boot or if other files
have run.

i had a strange similar occurrence after a kernel update.

every time i tried to boot new kernel, fist response line was
'file not found', while old kernels would boot, as well as 3 other
installs.

i checked to insure that grub.conf was correct. after a minor change,
which should not have caused problems, i still could not boot new kernel.

i decided to try a swag and ran 'grub-install /dev/sda' then reboot.

much to my pleasure, new kernel booted. what ever was wrong, i do not
know, but i have had no more boot problems.

ymmv.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 20:08 +0000, g wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 12:25 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After a fresh install, fedora 16 does not boot error 15 file not found.
> >
> > How can I debug this?
> -=-
>
> you do not mention if this is at beginning of boot or if other files
> have run.
>
> i had a strange similar occurrence after a kernel update.
>
> every time i tried to boot new kernel, fist response line was
> 'file not found', while old kernels would boot, as well as 3 other
> installs.
>
> i checked to insure that grub.conf was correct. after a minor change,
> which should not have caused problems, i still could not boot new kernel.
>
> i decided to try a swag and ran 'grub-install /dev/sda' then reboot.
>
> much to my pleasure, new kernel booted. what ever was wrong, i do not
> know, but i have had no more boot problems.
>

> ymmv.

Seems to me that grub-install is the command to install grub1 not grub2.