-   -   Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on systemd (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/630581-yum-fedora-16-focus-systemd.html)

Paul Allen Newell 02-09-2012 05:26 AM

Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on systemd

On 2/8/2012 12:51 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
As far as systemd goes, more thought should have been done (IMAO) on
making the transition as smooth and transparent as possible. You
shouldn't expect the average non-techy user to know how to do
whatever's needed to find out if all of the services that were started
at boot still are or that any services that had been explicitly
disabled weren't re-enabled. Yes, a professional sysadmin with dozens
of servers to keep running can be expected to check, but the average
home user with one Linux box isn't going to expect to need that.

I was real tempted to color some test red to highlight, but I did
resist. Being an "average home user" when it comes to doing sysAdmin
stuff, I have been reading all the posts on this list and getting real
scared over trying to figure out what is no longer being done that I
need to do.

Is there anything resembling a single doc/html/post/whatever that can be
used as a reference point to try to begin to understand what all this
entails (hopefully that assumes systemd is something new to learn rather
than "of course you understand" which glosses over the "understand" issue).

Thanks in advance,
Paul

ps: for what it is worth, migrating from F14 Gnome to F16 Xfce has been
relatively painless short of one Totem crash which seems to be bigger
than just Gnome or Xfce (Bug 751692). Once that is resolved, I can
commit to the migration.

A bunch of relearning "where things are" but that isn't horrible.

Paul Allen Newell 02-10-2012 06:03 AM

Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on systemd

Is there anything resembling a single doc/html/post/whatever that can
be used as a reference point to try to begin to understand what all
this entails (hopefully that assumes systemd is something new to learn
rather than "of course you understand" which glosses over the
"understand" issue).

Thanks in advance,
Paul

I am grateful for all the responses on F17 "new/moved filesystems".

I didn't get any replies on this and wanted to repost. If the answer is
"go figure out yourself", that's cool ... I am just hoping for some
guidance in understanding this issue

Once again,
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Claude Jones 02-10-2012 12:34 PM

Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on systemd

Is there anything resembling a single doc/html/post/whatever that can
be used as a reference point to try to begin to understand what all
this entails (hopefully that assumes systemd is something new to learn
rather than "of course you understand" which glosses over the
"understand" issue).

Thanks in advance,
Paul

I am grateful for all the responses on F17 "new/moved filesystems".

I didn't get any replies on this and wanted to repost. If the answer is
"go figure out yourself", that's cool ... I am just hoping for some
guidance in understanding this issue

did anyone suggest this: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd
I have found it useful

--