Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Fedora User

Default Yum requires "clean all" to work

I don't see any other posts like this so it is reasonable to assume
that this is not a bug. For over a week now, "yum update" doesn't see
any updates unless I do a "yum clean all" first.

I was tempted to start deleting stuff in /var/lib/yum. My saner side
stopped that misadventure. Yum check is clean.

Anyone have a better clue?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 AM
suvayu ali

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 02:47, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mellertson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dumb question - is you system time/date correct? Before downloading
> the package list, yum checks the time stamp, and if it is older then
> the data it already has, it does not update its list. When you do a
> clean all, it erases the data, and has to download it again. It then
> checks the package information against the installed packages to see
> if there is a newer version.

Another possibility might be the OP's metadata_expire is set to a long value.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Fedora User

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:47:51 -0600
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mellertson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dumb question - is you system time/date correct?

Not dumb. Yes. My system time and date are correct.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Fedora User

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 03:27:10 +0100
suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 02:47, Mikkel L. Ellertson
> <mellertson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dumb question - is you system time/date correct? Before downloading
> > the package list, yum checks the time stamp, and if it is older then
> > the data it already has, it does not update its list. When you do a
> > clean all, it erases the data, and has to download it again. It then
> > checks the package information against the installed packages to see
> > if there is a newer version.
>
> Another possibility might be the OP's metadata_expire is set to a
> long value.

I have not included a metadata_expire value. It should default to 90
minutes. I am really stumped. I cannot recall a hard poweroff that
would correlate to this behavior (often the cause of corruption).

Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 20:34 -0500, Fedora User wrote:
> I don't see any other posts like this so it is reasonable to assume
> that this is not a bug. For over a week now, "yum update" doesn't see
> any updates unless I do a "yum clean all" first.
>
> I was tempted to start deleting stuff in /var/lib/yum. My saner side
> stopped that misadventure. Yum check is clean.
>
> Anyone have a better clue?

Don't know why it's happening, but "yum clean metadata" is quicker and
should have the same effect.

poc