Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Marvin Kosmal

Default Error in password file?

On 2/8/12, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> When I execute pwck to verify integrity of password files and received
> the following:
>
> sudo pwck
> user 'adm': directory '/var/adm' does not exist
> user 'uucp': directory '/var/spool/uucp' does not exist
> user 'gopher': directory '/var/gopher' does not exist
> user 'avahi-autoipd': directory '/var/lib/avahi-autoipd' does not exist
> user 'oprofile': directory '/home/oprofile' does not exist
> user 'saslauth': directory '/var/empty/saslauth' does not exist
> user 'pulse': directory '/var/run/pulse' does not exist
> invalid password file entry
>
> How should this be fixed?
>
> Don
>
> --

Hi

I don't believe every user has a directory..

I think you are "Good to GO!"

Marvin

Old 02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 14:43 -0800, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
> On 2/8/12, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> > When I execute pwck to verify integrity of password files and received
> > the following:
> >
> > sudo pwck
> > user 'adm': directory '/var/adm' does not exist
> > user 'uucp': directory '/var/spool/uucp' does not exist
> > user 'gopher': directory '/var/gopher' does not exist
> > user 'avahi-autoipd': directory '/var/lib/avahi-autoipd' does not exist
> > user 'oprofile': directory '/home/oprofile' does not exist
> > user 'saslauth': directory '/var/empty/saslauth' does not exist
> > user 'pulse': directory '/var/run/pulse' does not exist
> > invalid password file entry
> >
> > How should this be fixed?
> >
> > Don
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi
>
> I don't believe every user has a directory..
>
> I think you are "Good to GO!"
>
> Marvin

I don't know if you are good to go but when I run: sudo pwck
on my machine except the last entry is:
pwck: no changes

instead of: invalid password file entry

so that is the output that would worry me. It seems you have an invalid
entry in the passwd file. It would be nice if the program gave you a
hint which entry it is complaining about.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Marvin Kosmal

On 2/9/12, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 14:43 -0800, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
>> On 2/8/12, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
>> > When I execute pwck to verify integrity of password files and received
>> > the following:
>> >
>> > sudo pwck
>> > user 'adm': directory '/var/adm' does not exist
>> > user 'uucp': directory '/var/spool/uucp' does not exist
>> > user 'gopher': directory '/var/gopher' does not exist
>> > user 'avahi-autoipd': directory '/var/lib/avahi-autoipd' does not exist
>> > user 'oprofile': directory '/home/oprofile' does not exist
>> > user 'saslauth': directory '/var/empty/saslauth' does not exist
>> > user 'pulse': directory '/var/run/pulse' does not exist
>> > invalid password file entry
>> >
>> > How should this be fixed?
>> >
>> > Don
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> Hi
>>
>> I don't believe every user has a directory..
>>
>> I think you are "Good to GO!"
>>
>> Marvin
>
> I don't know if you are good to go but when I run: sudo pwck
> on my machine except the last entry is:
> pwck: no changes
>
> instead of: invalid password file entry
>
> so that is the output that would worry me. It seems you have an invalid
> entry in the passwd file. It would be nice if the program gave you a
> hint which entry it is complaining about.
>
> --
> ================================================== =====================
> Of course you can't flap your arms and fly to the moon. After a while
> you'd run out of air to push against.
> ================================================== =====================
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

HI

I gave my answer based on three boxes I have they yield similar
results. Not all users will have a directory.

I stand by my answer..

YMMV.

Marvin

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

Yes, users do NOT have to have a home directory (especially users that
are primarily there as "owners" of daemons and such and have a shell
of /sbin/nologin).

The "invalid password file entry" error probably indicates a blank line
at the end of either /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow, so that's the first
place I'd look. Try

$ sudo vipw -p (edits /etc/passwd safely)
$ sudo vipw -s (edits /etc/shadow safely)

and check to make sure there aren't any blank lines in the files. Not
sure if pwck chokes on NIS-style entries (e.g. a username of "+")

Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Marvin Kosmal

On 2/9/12, Rick Stevens <rstevens@corp.alldigital.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 09:31 AM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:

>>> I don't know if you are good to go but when I run: sudo pwck
>>> on my machine except the last entry is:
>>> pwck: no changes
>>>
>>> instead of: invalid password file entry
>>>
>>> so that is the output that would worry me. It seems you have an invalid
>>> entry in the passwd file. It would be nice if the program gave you a
>>> hint which entry it is complaining about.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ================================================== =====================
>>> Of course you can't flap your arms and fly to the moon. After a while
>>> you'd run out of air to push against.
>>> ================================================== =====================
>>> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net
>>>

>> HI
>>
>> I gave my answer based on three boxes I have they yield similar
>> results. Not all users will have a directory.
>>
>> I stand by my answer..
>
> Yes, users do NOT have to have a home directory (especially users that
> are primarily there as "owners" of daemons and such and have a shell
> of /sbin/nologin).
>
> The "invalid password file entry" error probably indicates a blank line
> at the end of either /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow, so that's the first
> place I'd look. Try
>
> $ sudo vipw -p (edits /etc/passwd safely)
> $ sudo vipw -s (edits /etc/shadow safely)
>
> and check to make sure there aren't any blank lines in the files. Not
> sure if pwck chokes on NIS-style entries (e.g. a username of "+")
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say... oh, somewhere in there. -

Thanks for the come back..

I did the vipw -p and vipw -s and they all look identical ..No blank lines..

TIA

Marvin

Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

The question is are there any blank lines at the end? That can be
difficult to see in an editor. When using vipw, try entering ":$"

(without the quotes, just colon-dollarsign). That should put you on
the last line of the file, which should contain data. If that's a
blank line, there's your answer.

Using "cat" can also tell you something. If you (as root) do "cat
/etc/passwd", make sure that the command prompt appears IMMEDIATELY
after the data. If there's a blank line between the output and the
prompt, you have a blank line at the end of the file.

Samples:
Good (no blank line at end of file):
[root@prophead server]# cat /tmp/wook
1
2
3
4
[root@prophead server]#

Bad (blank line at end of file):
[root@prophead server]# cat /tmp/wook
1
2
3
4

[root@prophead server]# vi /tmp/wook

("/tmp/wook" is just a scratch filename I used)

Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

Additional note, I just used vipw to add a blank line to the end of
/etc/passwd and got the same error the OP got when I ran pwck, but with

a "delete line?" prompt. I didn't accept that and used vipw to delete
the blank and pwck ran clean.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Marvin Kosmal

On 2/9/12, Rick Stevens <rstevens@corp.alldigital.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 03:01 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Thanks for the come back..
>>>
>>> I did the vipw -p and vipw -s and they all look identical ..No blank
>>> lines..
>>
>> The question is are there any blank lines at the end? That can be
>> difficult to see in an editor. When using vipw, try entering ":$"
>> (without the quotes, just colon-dollarsign). That should put you on
>> the last line of the file, which should contain data. If that's a
>> blank line, there's your answer.
>>
>> Using "cat" can also tell you something. If you (as root) do "cat
>> /etc/passwd", make sure that the command prompt appears IMMEDIATELY
>> after the data. If there's a blank line between the output and the
>> prompt, you have a blank line at the end of the file.
>>
>> Samples:
>> Good (no blank line at end of file):
>> [root@prophead server]# cat /tmp/wook
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> [root@prophead server]#
>>
>> Bad (blank line at end of file):
>> [root@prophead server]# cat /tmp/wook
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>>
>> [root@prophead server]# vi /tmp/wook
>>
>> ("/tmp/wook" is just a scratch filename I used)
>
> Additional note, I just used vipw to add a blank line to the end of
> /etc/passwd and got the same error the OP got when I ran pwck, but with
> a "delete line?" prompt. I didn't accept that and used vipw to delete
> the blank and pwck ran clean.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - A squeegee, by any other name, wouldn't sound as funny. -

Hi

I am still getting the no directory thing.

But. The second time you run pwck it gives the message..

pwck: no changes

So, I am back to my original statement..

OP is "GOOD TO GO"....

I get all those no directories and don't believe they need directories..

YMMV

Marvin

Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

No they don't. Those are the users associated with daemon processes
and they don't have to have a home directory.

If you don't get the "invalid passwd entry" message, then the files are
good. The "pwck: no changes" indicates that pwck didn't have to do
anything to the file (e.g. deleting a blank line, etc.)