Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Kevin Kofler

Default Ati 9200 AGP not working

Jim <mickeyboa <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
> Installed kmod-fglrx and I'm having problems, it appears to me, that the
> Ati 9200 agp isn't supported by this kmod-fglrx driver, Am I right or
> wrong ??

You're right. Fglrx hasn't supported R2xx series cards such as this one for
months.

Don't install fglrx, this card works out of the box! The Free radeon driver
supports it for both 2D and 3D and has done that for ages. So remove all traces
of fglrx, and if it still doesn't work, reinstall Fedora and don't even go
anywhere near fglrx.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Jim

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Jim <mickeyboa <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

Installed kmod-fglrx and I'm having problems, it appears to me, that the
Ati 9200 agp isn't supported by this kmod-fglrx driver, Am I right or
wrong ??

You're right. Fglrx hasn't supported R2xx series cards such as this one for
months.

Don't install fglrx, this card works out of the box! The Free radeon driver
supports it for both 2D and 3D and has done that for ages. So remove all traces
of fglrx, and if it still doesn't work, reinstall Fedora and don't even go
anywhere near fglrx.

Free radeon driver

Kevin Kofler

"The Free radeon driver supports it for both 2D and 3D and has done that for ages."

You mean the kmod-fglrx driver is no good ??
Where is this "Free radeon driver"
I downloaded the Ati-driver-installer.8.28.8.run from AMD but it is giving me problem of finding the kernel.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 AM
Kevin Kofler

Jim <mickeyboa <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
> You mean the kmod-fglrx driver is no good ??
> Where is this "Free radeon driver"

Included in Fedora.
Again, THIS CARD WORKS OUT OF THE BOX. You do NOT need a third-party driver!

> I downloaded the Ati-driver-installer.8.28.8.run from AMD

And this is the quickest way to hose your system by overwriting system
libraries.
See: http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Jim

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Jim <mickeyboa <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

You mean the kmod-fglrx driver is no good ??
Where is this "Free radeon driver"

Included in Fedora.
Again, THIS CARD WORKS OUT OF THE BOX. You do NOT need a third-party driver!

I downloaded the Ati-driver-installer.8.28.8.run from AMD

And this is the quickest way to hose your system by overwriting system
libraries.

See: http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video

Kevin Kofler

Kevin thank you very much for the info.

Jim

Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 16:55:10 -0400,
Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "The Free radeon driver supports it for both 2D and 3D and has done that
> for ages."
>
> You mean the kmod-fglrx driver is no good ??

Yes.

> Where is this "Free radeon driver"
> I downloaded the Ati-driver-installer.8.28.8.run from AMD but it is giving
> me problem of finding the kernel.

It is xorg-x11-drv-ati, but should already be installed if you have X
installed. It's possible that ATI's install scripts removed it so you
probably should still check.