Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

Default Yum and Fedora 16 -update

On 08/02/12 18:27, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> Currently I'm using Fedora 14, but after upgrading my PC I decided to
> try and install Fedora 16 from the KDE spin, (no problem). The problem
> arises when trying to do yum updates, I get multiple errors, some of
> which stop Fedora 16 from shutting down. Sadly, based on this
> experience, and previous experience trying to upgrade to Fedora 15 I'm
> considering looking into another Linux distribution. My patience with
> these problems, (2+ days already), is rapidly wearing thin! Piecemeal
> updating by trial and error makes for a less than friendly release!
>
> Looks like I may have to wait for Fedora 17 for a yum friendly release.

Looks like updating the base libraries first alleviates many of these
problems. It would appear yum doesn't try to create an install order
which can then cause problems.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 08/02/12 19:31, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 08/02/12 18:27, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>
>> Currently I'm using Fedora 14, but after upgrading my PC I decided to
>> try and install Fedora 16 from the KDE spin, (no problem). The problem
>> arises when trying to do yum updates, I get multiple errors, some of
>> which stop Fedora 16 from shutting down. Sadly, based on this
>> experience, and previous experience trying to upgrade to Fedora 15 I'm
>> considering looking into another Linux distribution. My patience with
>> these problems, (2+ days already), is rapidly wearing thin! Piecemeal
>> updating by trial and error makes for a less than friendly release!
>>
>> Looks like I may have to wait for Fedora 17 for a yum friendly release.
>
> Looks like updating the base libraries first alleviates many of these
> problems. It would appear yum doesn't try to create an install order
> which can then cause problems.

For example to update foomatic I needed to just select foomatic-db for
update and let dependencies then load the other parts

Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 08/02/12 19:31, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 08/02/12 18:27, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>
>> Currently I'm using Fedora 14, but after upgrading my PC I decided to
>> try and install Fedora 16 from the KDE spin, (no problem). The problem
>> arises when trying to do yum updates, I get multiple errors, some of
>> which stop Fedora 16 from shutting down. Sadly, based on this
>> experience, and previous experience trying to upgrade to Fedora 15 I'm
>> considering looking into another Linux distribution. My patience with
>> these problems, (2+ days already), is rapidly wearing thin! Piecemeal
>> updating by trial and error makes for a less than friendly release!
>>
>> Looks like I may have to wait for Fedora 17 for a yum friendly release.
>
> Looks like updating the base libraries first alleviates many of these
> problems. It would appear yum doesn't try to create an install order
> which can then cause problems.

This method as now allowed me to complete all the updates with hardly
any problems!!