Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
"max bianco"

Default FC6 mount ntfs-3g problem.

2008/4/2 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> max bianco wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> >

> > > If it was just a permissions problem, 'mount' would give an error
> > > message. Likewise if it wasn't in the user's path (it's possible though
> > > unlikely that $PATH gets him a different version of 'mount'; using
> > > '/bin/mount' would get round that).
> > >
> > > poc
> > >

> > He is saying that mount works as root and not a regular user but once
> > its mounted it works for the user, usually that is a permissions
> > issue. I know F8 you get an error message but he is on FC6.
> >
> > Max
> >

> I thought that it was listed in fstab with the user(s) option, the way his
> is, that the mount command was run as root, as long as you ran "mount <mount
> point>" or "mount <device>". On the other hand, using the format "mount
> <device> <mount point>" requires root permissions. But I have not used
> entries in /fstab for removable devices for a while - I use HAL instead.

I am not sure what his fstab should look like but as far as using the
mount command I have always found that you have to be root or have
permission explicitly granted. I plug in my external drive and it just
automounts for me, i don't remember doing anything special to get this
to work, but apparently this was not the case in FC6, i have never
used FC6. Hopefully he will let us know what happened.

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

max bianco wrote:

2008/4/2 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:

I thought that it was listed in fstab with the user(s) option, the way his
is, that the mount command was run as root, as long as you ran "mount <mount
point>" or "mount <device>". On the other hand, using the format "mount
<device> <mount point>" requires root permissions. But I have not used
entries in /fstab for removable devices for a while - I use HAL instead.

I am not sure what his fstab should look like but as far as using the
mount command I have always found that you have to be root or have
permission explicitly granted. I plug in my external drive and it just
automounts for me, i don't remember doing anything special to get this
to work, but apparently this was not the case in FC6, i have never
used FC6. Hopefully he will let us know what happened.

Max

FC6 would auto mount as well. But if you have an entry in /etc/fstab
for the device, it will not get auto-mounted. In this case, he is
using the users option, so anyone should be able to mount it. (The
fstab entry was published earlier in the thread.) The difference
between user and users is that with users anyone can unmount, but
with user, only the person that mounted it can unmount.

Mikkel

Old 04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
"max bianco"

2008/4/2 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> max bianco wrote:
>

> > 2008/4/2 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> >

> > > I thought that it was listed in fstab with the user(s) option, the way
> his
> > > is, that the mount command was run as root, as long as you ran "mount
> <mount
> > > point>" or "mount <device>". On the other hand, using the format "mount
> > > <device> <mount point>" requires root permissions. But I have not used
> > > entries in /fstab for removable devices for a while - I use HAL instead.
> > >

> > I am not sure what his fstab should look like but as far as using the
> > mount command I have always found that you have to be root or have
> > permission explicitly granted. I plug in my external drive and it just
> > automounts for me, i don't remember doing anything special to get this
> > to work, but apparently this was not the case in FC6, i have never
> > used FC6. Hopefully he will let us know what happened.
> >
> > Max
> >

> FC6 would auto mount as well. But if you have an entry in /etc/fstab for
> the device, it will not get auto-mounted.

shouldn't it mount if the "noauto" is removed from fstab?

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Rick Stevens

max bianco wrote:

[...]

noauto prevents automatic mount at boot (e.g. "mountall" or "mount -a").
It has nothing to do with the automounter.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

max bianco wrote:

I am not sure what his fstab should look like but as far as using the
mount command I have always found that you have to be root or have
permission explicitly granted. I plug in my external drive and it just
automounts for me, i don't remember doing anything special to get this
to work, but apparently this was not the case in FC6, i have never
used FC6. Hopefully he will let us know what happened.

Max

FC6 would auto mount as well. But if you have an entry in /etc/fstab for
the device, it will not get auto-mounted.

shouldn't it mount if the "noauto" is removed from fstab?

Max

If you remove the noauto, the init scripts will try to mount the
drive. The problem is, if the drive is not plugged in, the system
will not be able to mount it, and may not boot. (It is a USB drive.)
If there is an entry in /etc/fstab, then the hotplug auto-mounting
will not work.

If I remember correctly, auto-mounting in FC6 works better if the
partition has a name. If the NTFS partition was names SHAREd, then
the drive partition would get mounted on /media/SHARED. This also
works in later versions. Changing the permissions and mount options
different than using fstab, and involves learning a different set of
rules. But tools are being developed to make it easier.

Mikkel

Old 04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
max

max bianco wrote:

[...]

Why would the box fail to boot? Assuming the drive does not contain any
system files needed at startup shouldn't it just make a note of the
missing drive in a log and keep going. You hinted at something related
to it being a USB drive.....

If I remember correctly, auto-mounting in FC6 works better if the
partition has a name. If the NTFS partition was names SHAREd, then the
drive partition would get mounted on /media/SHARED. This also works in
later versions. Changing the permissions and mount options different
than using fstab, and involves learning a different set of rules. But
tools are being developed to make it easier.

If FC6 supports automounting the drive then why was an entry in fstab
needed in the first place?

Am i missing something that should be obvious here?

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

max wrote:

max bianco wrote:

[...]

The OP said it was a USB drive. The problem is that the system has
no way of knowing what is on the drive, and will cause the system to
boot into the single user mode so you can fix the problem if the
drive is not there.

If I remember correctly, auto-mounting in FC6 works better if the
partition has a name. If the NTFS partition was names SHARED, then the
drive partition would get mounted on /media/SHARED. This also works in
later versions. Changing the permissions and mount options different
than using fstab, and involves learning a different set of rules. But
tools are being developed to make it easier.

If FC6 supports automounting the drive then why was an entry in fstab
needed in the first place?

Am i missing something that should be obvious here?

Max

Because options other then the default ones are wanted. The
auto-mounting in FC6 does not support that very well. Even changing
the mount point so it isn't off of /media can be a problem. I don't
remember off hand how you did that in FC6. (Was FC6 using HAL?)

Mikkel

Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 17:31 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> max wrote:
> > Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> >> If you remove the noauto, the init scripts will try to mount the
> >> drive. The problem is, if the drive is not plugged in, the system will
> >> not be able to mount it, and may not boot. (It is a USB drive.) If
> >> there is an entry in /etc/fstab, then the hotplug auto-mounting will
> >> not work.
> > Why would the box fail to boot? Assuming the drive does not contain any
> > system files needed at startup shouldn't it just make a note of the
> > missing drive in a log and keep going. You hinted at something related
> > to it being a USB drive.....
> >
> The OP said it was a USB drive. The problem is that the system has
> no way of knowing what is on the drive, and will cause the system to
> boot into the single user mode so you can fix the problem if the
> drive is not there.

I have an external USB drive permanently attached. If for some reason
it's turned off, the boot process will log some errors and continue.
This is my fstab line:

LABEL=/xtra /xtra ext3 defaults 1 2

Note that it's ext3. ntfs-3g via FUSE may complicate things, I don't
know.

poc

Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
max

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

max wrote:

max bianco wrote:

[...]

I see......i was thinking that the files needed for the system to start
would be verified or accounted for early in the boot process but I
obviously don't know enough about the boot process to comment further....

If I remember correctly, auto-mounting in FC6 works better if the
partition has a name. If the NTFS partition was names SHARED, then
the drive partition would get mounted on /media/SHARED. This also
works in later versions. Changing the permissions and mount options
different than using fstab, and involves learning a different set of
rules. But tools are being developed to make it easier.

If FC6 supports automounting the drive then why was an entry in fstab
needed in the first place?

Am i missing something that should be obvious here?

Max

Because options other then the default ones are wanted.
The default is to automount the drive when hotplugged but the OP wants
to do it manually?

I seem to be suffering from a serious lack of knowledge and imagination....
HI HO HI HO Its off to google i go(to learn more about the boot process,
i don't think any amount of googling will tell me the OP reason for not
letting the drive automount...if you don't want it mounted then unplug
it or if it is always there then let it mount at boot time)!!

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I have an external USB drive permanently attached. If for some reason
it's turned off, the boot process will log some errors and continue.
This is my fstab line:

LABEL=/xtra /xtra ext3 defaults 1 2

Note that it's ext3. ntfs-3g via FUSE may complicate things, I don't
know.

It could also be that my experience is out of date. I have not tried
this since I was bitten by it on a system I was troubleshooting. Or
it could be that using the LABEL=<label> form is more tolerant then
the <device> form. I guess I need to do some experimenting when I
have time.

Mikkel