FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Reindl Harald
 
Default kernel 3.2 / 2.6.42 disable ipv6

why is this ignored in the latest kernels?

i do not like to see any ipv6-configuration/IP as long the WAN
is ipv4 only and this may be a long time

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ uname -r
2.6.42.3-1.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Feb 3 18:53:22 UTC 2012

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/disable-ipv6.conf
options ipv6 disable=1
options net-pf-10 disable=1

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 3C9:2B:65:95:9F
inet6 Adresse: fe80::3ed9:2bff:fe65:959f/64 Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung
UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:60360 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:51227 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
RX bytes:14755533 (14.0 MiB) TX bytes:18462073 (17.6 MiB)
Interrupt:20 Speicher:fe700000-fe720000

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Rich Boyce
 
Default kernel 3.2 / 2.6.42 disable ipv6

Hi,

On 07/02/12 21:43, Reindl Harald wrote:
> why is this ignored in the latest kernels?

I don't know, but...

> i do not like to see any ipv6-configuration/IP as long the WAN
> is ipv4 only and this may be a long time

... this is how I do it (Fedora 16):

sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

The first command disables it immediately, the second after a reboot.

HTH,
Rich
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Reindl Harald
 
Default kernel 3.2 / 2.6.42 disable ipv6

Am 08.02.2012 10:28, schrieb Rich Boyce:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/02/12 21:43, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> why is this ignored in the latest kernels?
>
> I don't know, but...
>
>> i do not like to see any ipv6-configuration/IP as long the WAN
>> is ipv4 only and this may be a long time
>
> ... this is how I do it (Fedora 16):
>
> sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
> echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> The first command disables it immediately, the second after a reboot.

thanks, this works!
"systcl -p" makes changes in /etc/sysctl.conf active immediately

well, my /etc/sysctl.conf is growing and growing :-)

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Reindl Harald
 
Default kernel 3.2 / 2.6.42 disable ipv6

Am 08.02.2012 10:33, schrieb Reindl Harald:
>
>
> Am 08.02.2012 10:28, schrieb Rich Boyce:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 07/02/12 21:43, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> why is this ignored in the latest kernels?
>>
>> I don't know, but...
>>
>>> i do not like to see any ipv6-configuration/IP as long the WAN
>>> is ipv4 only and this may be a long time
>>
>> ... this is how I do it (Fedora 16):
>>
>> sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
>> echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>>
>> The first command disables it immediately, the second after a reboot.
>
> thanks, this works!
> "systcl -p" makes changes in /etc/sysctl.conf active immediately
>
> well, my /etc/sysctl.conf is growing and growing :-)

hm - but it seems not to work perfectly

"sysctl.conf" is applyied not at the first begin of the boot-process
so it seems samba as example is starting while the option is not
set, restart it after boot hash fnished removes the ipv6-listening

[root@rh:~]$ netstat -l | grep smb
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1123/smbd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1123/smbd
tcp 0 0 :::445 :::* LISTEN 1123/smbd
tcp 0 0 :::139 :::* LISTEN 1123/smbd

[root@rh:~]$ service smb restart
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart smb.service
[root@rh:~]$ netstat -l | grep smb
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5430/smbd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5430/smbd


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org