Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM
linux guy

Default Cronometer (GPL) goes web based, loses GPL ?

I am a long time user of Cron-o-meter. Its a Java GLP application for
nutritional monitoring. It works great.

http://cronometer.com/

As long as I've know it (4 years), cronometer has been a GPL
application that you installed on your local computer. As a matter of
fact, cronometer has and still does maintain a sourceforge account.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cronometer/

However, Cronometer is now available as an online application. The
provider has set up a web site that serves the application to users
via browsers connected to the internet

The online version of Cronometer has extra functionality, not included
in the local version.

"The original version of CRON-O-Meter is still available for download.
However, we highly recommend using the web version instead as it has
more features, a bigger database, and you can access your data from
anywhere. For those that prefer the stand-alone version, you can
download it below." http://cronometer.com/download/

Even more functionality is available for the online version via a
premium membership.

No source code has been made available for the web served application.

Has the cronometer provided broken the rules of the GPL by enhancing
it and turning it into a web application and not providing the course
code back to the user base ?

If so, where and how should this be reported ?

Thanks !

Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
James Wilkinson

linux guy wrote:
> Has the cronometer provided broken the rules of the GPL by enhancing
> it and turning it into a web application and not providing the course
> code back to the user base ?
>
> If so, where and how should this be reported ?

The generally accepted answer (including by the FSF) is no: if they’re
just providing their enhanced version as a web application on their own
servers, they aren’t exactly distributing the program, so the source
code doesn’t need to be made available.

The Affero GPL is a variant of the GPL which explicitly requires that
the source code to the web application *is* made available to its users.

See also http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-affero-gpl.html (note that this
talks about version 3 of both the GNU GPL and the Affero GPL, but there
is also a version 2 of the Affero GPL which is a modified version of the
GNU GPL version 2).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | 'Short for "Sic Transit Gloria Humanorum", which is Latin
aprilcottage.co.uk | for "There goes the neighbourhood!"'

Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:49:30 -0700
linux guy wrote:

> Has the cronometer provided broken the rules of the GPL by enhancing
> it and turning it into a web application and not providing the course
> code back to the user base ?

The copyright owner of the software (generally the person who wrote it) can do
anything with it that he chooses. He can't retroactively revoke the GPL from
copies already distributed, but he can re-license his own work in any way that
he chooses from any date forward.

If he accepted outside contributions from others pursuant to the GPL then he
will have to either get those outsiders to grant permission to re-license the
work, or just not use those contributions with the newly-licensed software.

Either way, though, it's up to him to determine how he wishes to license his
own software.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Joe Zeff

The copyright owner of the software (generally the person who wrote it) can do
anything with it that he chooses. He can't retroactively revoke the GPL from
copies already distributed, but he can re-license his own work in any way that
he chooses from any date forward.

Also, even if the web-based version isn't GPL the downloadable
stand-alone version still would be as long as its source code is still
available. At least, that's how I understand it, but ICBW of course.