Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Robin Laing

Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 18:23 -0400, William Perkins wrote:

There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
Fedora-7.

This is show stopper for us. Our vision impaired users are screaming bloody
murder about not being able to use this feature with Fedora-8. We have
had to install Fedora-7 in place of Fedora-8 on those systems, and we will
have to do this Fedora-7 install on all of our servers in order to have
all systems using the same distribution version of Linux.

We understand a change to the Xorg software was made to the Fedora-8
version to accommodate users of multiple displays. This change apparently
broke the Zoom feature and on the Fedora-8 distribution the Zoom feature
was disabled. Apparently there is a patch to the X windows server that
can be used to re-enable the Zoom feature, but there appears to be no
information available that documents how you get this patch and implement
the feature.

We will be testing Fedora-9 when it is released to see if the Zoom feature
has been fixed. Otherwise, we will continue to use Fedora-7 as long as we
can until an alternative software distribution can be found, Our having
to use Fedora-7 over Fedora-8 puts a real crimp in our development effort.

Bill

Thhere is something srang going on. ctrl-+ and ctrl - will magnify and
shrink a window. Are you talaking about this or are you referring to the
capabilities you get from: System->Personal->Associative Technologies?
--

The CTRL+ALT+(NUM +/-) are for the whole screen. Not just a window.

Handy if you are looking at a web page that has small graphics on them
or just aging eyes like I do and need to see things bigger than normal.

It is related to the x-server.

FWIW, it isn't working on my F8 machine with a Nvidia video card.

I just looked at my xorg.conf file and I do not have an other resolution
in it. I will have to play with the resoultion in the xorg.conf file.

--
Robin Laing