Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 PM
tom

Default Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down inflames

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, bruce wrote:

i recall my 1st use of a time share on the local university's machine..

my 7th grade math teach was taking colleges courses, in like 1972.. and she
had access to a tele-type machine with the dialup phone couple hooked to the
machine...

the machine created rollup punched out paper spools that we had written our
"basic" programs on....

i thought punch cards were a step up when i got into college later on!

i say all this as i cruise on a 4G-Mem/250G-Drive/17" laptop on a fast
wireless network!

my god i'm old!!!

<<snip>>

Not really. I know two oldsters who saw the transition from assember to
FORTRAN et al. One of them (who got out of computing as a profession early
on) had difficulties wrapping his head around macroassemblers, or at
least that is what my brother who knows that individual better reports.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 PM
"Emanuel Machado"

Punch cards were also my introduction to computing in college. All the
technology, the lights, the noise...

Very exciting, in a dull sense,

And then there was the Sinclair Spectrum.

> my god i'm old!!!

I even remember gazing at a computer room with my mouth watering, impressed
with all the people wearing white lab coats!!

And then there was the geek.

Emanuel

----
Emanuel Machado, PhD.
Senior Engineer, Project Leader

Cytonome, Inc.
27 Drydock Ave
Boston, MA 02210
Voice: (617) 330-5030 ext. 237
Fax: (617) 330-5031
Website: www.cytonome.com

Email: Emanuel-Machado@cytonome.com

Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM
"bruce"

as an aside...

the issue of recalling how to read/write to old data formats is only going
to get harrier as we all go forth!!

remembering how to read something from a data format that's 20 years old
ain't going to get any easier!