Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Android anyone?

I've just acquired a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone,
and am somewhat disappointed at the lack of Fedora facilities
for communicating with the phone.

Is there any documentation explaining eg how to transfer contacts
to and from an Android phone?
The only Fedora documentation I have found is concerned with development,
presumably on the phone.
I'm looking for something much lower down the intellectual ladder.

I've seen it suggested that the android-tools package
is the Linux version of the Windows program Kries
(which works out "out of the box" on the phone)
but it seems to be aimed at an entirely different audience.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Alan Cox

> Is there any documentation explaining eg how to transfer contacts
> to and from an Android phone?

Your phone wants to share all that data with google. Google then provides
that as a web service via the portable contacts API/CalDAV to any tool
that can eat it (eg sunbird probably can do the contacts side)

> The only Fedora documentation I have found is concerned with development,
> presumably on the phone.
> I'm looking for something much lower down the intellectual ladder.

funambol is probably what is aimed lower down the ladder and for real
deployment including large sites.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Anthony R Fletcher

On 07 Feb 2012 at 09:43:17, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Is there any documentation explaining eg how to transfer contacts
> > to and from an Android phone?
>
> Your phone wants to share all that data with google. Google then provides
> that as a web service via the portable contacts API/CalDAV to any tool
> that can eat it (eg sunbird probably can do the contacts side)

Look at the Fedora package googlecl

Description : This package provides command-line access to some Google
services via their GData APIs.

It will allow you to manipulate calendar events, contacts, etc, which
will then sync back to your phone.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Timothy Murphy

Alan Cox wrote:

>> I'm looking for something much lower down the intellectual ladder.
>
> funambol is probably what is aimed lower down the ladder and for real
> deployment including large sites.

Thanks for the suggestion.

After some investigation, I went to <https://my.funambol.com/>
and registered (giving the number of my Android phone).
Now when I clicked on Home=>Applications on the phone,
I found a new icon Funambol Sync .
On clicking on this, I was invited to Sync All,
which I clicked on.
This failed the first time,
but the second it sync-ed in succession
Contacts, Calendar, Pictures, Videos, Files .
Now I find I have all the contacts from the SIM card,
which had not been visible on the phone.

[I've explained what I did, as it seemed less than obvious to me.]

I've also downloaded and installed the Linux (64-bit) funambol*.bin
on my CentOS-6 server,
which seems to run fine (ie a number of funambol applications are running)
though I'm not entirely clear how to use it.
I shall continue my study of this new world.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Timothy Murphy

Anthony R Fletcher wrote:

> Look at the Fedora package googlecl

> Description : This package provides command-line access to some Google
> services via their GData APIs.
>
> It will allow you to manipulate calendar events, contacts, etc, which
> will then sync back to your phone.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've yum-installed the googlecl package,
and will investigate its functionality.