Old 04-02-2008, 05:48 PM
"max bianco"

Default FC6 mount ntfs-3g problem.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:16 -0400, max bianco wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Charles Sullivan <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > How can I mount a USB external drive (SimpleTech 320 GB) as a normal
> > > user?
> > >
> > > If as a normal user I run 'mount /[mount_point]', there's no error message
> > > but the device is not mounted. As root the same command mounts the
> > > device and I am thereafter able to read and write to it as a normal user.
> > >
> > Thats because by default only root can use the mount command. So the
> > question is which group can you add yourself too that has that
> > permission? or is it simply a matter of the command not being in the
> > users path? I am running F8 not FC6 so others can maybe provide better
> > that.
>
> If it was just a permissions problem, 'mount' would give an error
> message. Likewise if it wasn't in the user's path (it's possible though
> unlikely that $PATH gets him a different version of 'mount'; using
> '/bin/mount' would get round that).
>
> poc

He is saying that mount works as root and not a regular user but once
its mounted it works for the user, usually that is a permissions
issue. I know F8 you get an error message but he is on FC6.

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

max bianco wrote:

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan

If it was just a permissions problem, 'mount' would give an error
message. Likewise if it wasn't in the user's path (it's possible though
unlikely that $PATH gets him a different version of 'mount'; using
'/bin/mount' would get round that).

poc

He is saying that mount works as root and not a regular user but once
its mounted it works for the user, usually that is a permissions
issue. I know F8 you get an error message but he is on FC6.

Max

I thought that it was listed in fstab with the user(s) option, the
way his is, that the mount command was run as root, as long as you
ran "mount <mount point>" or "mount <device>". On the other hand,
using the format "mount <device> <mount point>" requires root
permissions. But I have not used entries in /fstab for removable
devices for a while - I use HAL instead.

Mikkel