Old 02-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Default manual network setup, manage multiple wifi access

Hi all,

I would like to manually setup my network on my laptop, not with
NetworkManager.

I am especially looking for a way to manage Wifi network.

Just for example, on Debian/Ubuntu, I use:

# /etc/network/interfaces
iface home inet dhcp
wireless-essid rktmb
wireless-key foobar

iface work inet dhcp
wpa-ssid wifiatwork
wpa-psk ababababab

And then, in CLI:

$ sudo ifup wlan0=home
or
$ sudo ifup wlan0=work

to up the Wifi.

For convenience (we use Fedora/CentOS for all Linux boxes), I'm going to
switch to Fedora 16 on my laptop, but really want to up the network via CLI.

What could be the Fedora equivalent?
Would you have some documentation link about that?

Thank you.

--
RMA.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to manually setup my network on my laptop, not with
> NetworkManager.
>
> I am especially looking for a way to manage Wifi network.

Have you looked at wicd?
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

> Just for example, on Debian/Ubuntu, I use:
>
> *# /etc/network/interfaces
> *iface home inet dhcp
> * *wireless-essid rktmb
> * *wireless-key foobar
>
> *iface work inet dhcp
> * *wpa-ssid wifiatwork
> * *wpa-psk ababababab
>
> And then, in CLI:
>
> *$ sudo ifup wlan0=home
> or
> *$ sudo ifup wlan0=work
>
> to up the Wifi.
>
> For convenience (we use Fedora/CentOS for all Linux boxes), I'm going to
> switch to Fedora 16 on my laptop, but really want to up the network via CLI.
>
> What could be the Fedora equivalent?
> Would you have some documentation link about that?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> RMA.

Dale Dellutri

Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 AM
edik landave

Mihamina

Make sure your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/wlan0 (or eth1, whatever your interface may be) has the boot at enable option

On CLI as root:

iwconfig mode Managed

iwconfig ssid myessid

dhclient wlan0 (or whatever your interface may be)

That would make it work but if you have a DE use NetworkManager since you don't need to be root to issue the commands && once you've logged in to an essid i. e home, work, coffe-shop whatever it will remember for the next time.

Edik

Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby