Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 AM
sean darcy

Default preupgrade grub2 failed: now can't boot

preupgrade failed for some reason to install the grub2 bootloader.
/boot/grub2 exists.

I made an F16 livecd. edited /boot/grub/grub.conf:

default=0
timeout=2
title 3.2.2
kernel /vmlinuz-3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64
root=UUID=017cd53d-21ae-43b5-b8ce-b23b15092273 ro rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0
rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

initrd /initramfs-3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img

all taken from grub2/grub.cfg.

It booted, but then died with a dracut prompt - and I had no clue what
to do then.

Running grub2-install from the livecd doesn't work. Ubuntu seems to have
a tool "boot-repair" on their livecd, but I can't find anything like
that on Fedora.

So,

How do I boot the using grub - so I can run grub2-install natively?

OR how do I install grub2 from the livecd - or otherwise?

sean

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
sean darcy

[...]

Used the ubuntu boot-repair program. That installed the grub2
bootloader. Didn't go any further with the ubuntu tool since I wasn't
sure how it fit with fedora.

But now how do I get up the grub2/grub prompt described in the wiki??

sean

Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
sean darcy

[...]

So now:

grub2-install --no-floppy /dev/sdg
/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.
core.img won't fit in it..
/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are
UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..

/sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

What do I do now! Embedding area???

sean

Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Greg Woods

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 19:48 -0500, sean darcy wrote:

> grub2-install --no-floppy /dev/sdg
> /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.
> core.img won't fit in it..
> /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
> installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are
> UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> /sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
>
> What do I do now! Embedding area???

This is the area at the beginning of the disk, before the first
partition. Grub2 needs the first partition to start at 2048, but default
partition layouts from Grub-1 systems start at 63. I have run into this
several times and it is a royal pain. There may be some games you can
play with gparted (shrink the partition, then move it), or you can do
like I did, which is to dump the first partition, change it to start at
2048 (shrinking it a bit), making a new file system on the new
partition, and restoring it.

--Greg

Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 07.02.2012 02:49, schrieb Greg Woods:
> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 19:48 -0500, sean darcy wrote:
>
>> grub2-install --no-floppy /dev/sdg
>> /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.
>> core.img won't fit in it..
>> /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
>> installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are
>> UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
>> /sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
>>
>> What do I do now! Embedding area???
>
> This is the area at the beginning of the disk, before the first
> partition. Grub2 needs the first partition to start at 2048, but default
> partition layouts from Grub-1 systems start at 63. I have run into this
> several times and it is a royal pain. There may be some games you can
> play with gparted (shrink the partition, then move it), or you can do
> like I did, which is to dump the first partition, change it to start at
> 2048 (shrinking it a bit), making a new file system on the new
> partition, and restoring it.

WTF

and how you will upgrades older systmes in the future if GRUB1 is dropped?
jesus christ here are runnign 20 virtual machines installed 2008 and
there is no need for GRUB2 at all nor for GPT

nice that my new physical F14 setups last summer started at 2048 but
this does not change existing systems

Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Alan Cox

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:49:19 -0700
Greg Woods <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 19:48 -0500, sean darcy wrote:
>
> > grub2-install --no-floppy /dev/sdg
> > /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.
> > core.img won't fit in it..
> > /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
> > installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are
> > UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> > /sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
> >
> > What do I do now! Embedding area???
>
> This is the area at the beginning of the disk, before the first
> partition. Grub2 needs the first partition to start at 2048, but default
> partition layouts from Grub-1 systems start at 63. I have run into this
> several times and it is a royal pain. There may be some games you can
> play with gparted (shrink the partition, then move it), or you can do
> like I did, which is to dump the first partition, change it to start at
> 2048 (shrinking it a bit), making a new file system on the new
> partition, and restoring it.

Welcome to grub2 - it's as you've discovered completely awful (and a look
through the huge pile of crap scripts Fedora has spewed to try and hide
it is even more painful). You can do two things

1. Replace it with the old grub, which will need you to hand set up the
/boot/grub* files as before and just work.

2. Mess around backing up the entire system, repartitioning and the like.

3. Tell it to STFU and use blocklists, in which case it'll work fine in
my experience but has the same limits as grub1 (*don't* try things like
defragging /boot or putting /boot on btrfs)

The fact Fedora didn't properly test such basic upgrades in FC16 is a
symptom of how bad the Fedora QA has become unfortunately.

Alan

Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
sean darcy

[...]

Wow! Not to belabor the obvious, but why doesn't preupgrade check this
at the beginning. Or reinstall grub1. Anything would be better than
leaving you with an unbootable brick.

I've created a grub1 stanza that boots F16. In fact, the ubuntu grub2
wiki shows how to chainload grub2 from grub1 - which is pretty neat but
probably useless. Interestingly, the kernel upgrade to 3.2.3 changed
grub.conf as well as grub.cfg!

Can I just stay with grub1? I really don't want to mess with gparted
wizardry on my boot partition. Unless there are some really clear
instructions on how to move the beginning address. As I remember, you
shrink by moving the ending address.

sean

Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 PM
linux guy

I went through the same thing back in early January. My sympathies.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 18:23:55 -0500,
sean darcy <seandarcy2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can I just stay with grub1? I really don't want to mess with
> gparted wizardry on my boot partition. Unless there are some really
> clear instructions on how to move the beginning address. As I
> remember, you shrink by moving the ending address.

I am still using grub1 and it works just fine. Once it gets messed up
it might be a pain to put back again though.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 AM
don fisher

[...]

Is there any way so install grub2 on a disk? I have seen there is
supposed to be a grub-rescue application that will make a bootable
rescue disk. I cannot find this on Fedora-16.

My goal is to copy updated distribution I have made to other machines. I
wish to partition the drive, copy my executing system to the drive, and
make it bootable. Should not this be easy?

Don