Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Jean Jacques

Default Cannot boot up after kernel upgrade

Hi guys,
My Fedora16 cannot*boot up*after kernel version upgraded to 3.2.3-2.fc16.x86_64 it stopped at "start up*display manger".Is there anyone meet the same problem there?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Jean Jacques <chaoyzj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My Fedora16 cannot*boot up*after kernel version upgraded to
> 3.2.3-2.fc16.x86_64 it stopped at "start up*display manger".
> Is there anyone meet the same problem there?

Are you using a proprietary video driver like the Nvidia or ATI ones?
This sounds a lot like what happens when one of those stops working.

-T.C.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Jean Jacques

Yes I run the driver under 3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64 normal now.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Jean Jacques <chaoyzj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I run the driver under 3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64 normal now.

Which driver? How did you install it?

-T.C.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Jean Jacques

Nvidia and installed it by run*NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run file which is downloaded from Nvidia website.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Jean Jacques <chaoyzj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nvidia and installed it by run*NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run file which is
> downloaded from Nvidia website.

Unfortunately, installing the download directly from Nvidia tends to
cause problems on kernel upgrades. I strongly suggest you uninstall
that version and use the version from RPMFusion [1] instead. It's
designed to work with Fedora and handle kernel updates appropriately.

Otherwise, you may need to reinstall the version you installed to get
it to work properly.

-T.C.

[1] http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Jean Jacques

OK. Thanks a lot.I will try.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 05 February 2012 21:59:57 T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Jean Jacques <chaoyzj@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nvidia and installed it by run NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run file which
> > is downloaded from Nvidia website.
>
> Unfortunately, installing the download directly from Nvidia tends to
> cause problems on kernel upgrades. I strongly suggest you uninstall
> that version and use the version from RPMFusion [1] instead. It's
> designed to work with Fedora and handle kernel updates appropriately.
>
> Otherwise, you may need to reinstall the version you installed to get
> it to work properly.

In addition to what T.C said, note that uninstalling the nVidia's .run
installation is a nontrivial task (at least it was last time I did it, maybe
things are better these days). There are several system libraries that the
.run installation overwrites with nVidia versions, and the uninstall process
doesn't (or didn't use to) replace those back. Unless you do this manually,
after uninstallation you might still be left with a broken system. In any case
you should manually check if the uninstall process did replace everything to
its original state.

I don't remember the details anymore, though. There are various instructions
on the web and in this list's archives about the filenames etc. Google is your
friend.

As a point for the future --- when you are faced with the need to install
various 3rd party stuff like binary drivers for this or that, it is always a
good idea to first get informed what is the Right Way (tm) to do it in Fedora.
That will help you avoid situations like painting yourself into a corner and
similar. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 AM
Jean Jacques

I found it too. I think the best right way is to*re install*system.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:04 PM
don fisher

Nvidia and installed it by run NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run file which is
downloaded from Nvidia website.

Unfortunately, installing the download directly from Nvidia tends to
cause problems on kernel upgrades. I strongly suggest you uninstall
that version and use the version from RPMFusion [1] instead. It's
designed to work with Fedora and handle kernel updates appropriately.

Otherwise, you may need to reinstall the version you installed to get
it to work properly.

-T.C.

[1] http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
I have perhaps a similar problem with a radeon drover in the 3.2.3-2
kernel. The 3.1.9-1 kernel works fine. The new kernel spews out garbled
messages, something about failing to locate some number of pages. In the
old days of the serial port, you could pipe these messages to another
machine. Any suggestion on how to capture the messages, and what to do
about the kernel distribution. Does it need a driver from RPMFusion? I
did not see one.

Thanks
don