Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Gene Smith

Default Amarok hangs with recursive search enabled

On Friday before applying a f16 update I was using Amarok. I don't use
it often but it seemed to be working OK. Then after the upgrade, on
restarting amarok, it asked my location (US) for Amazon store which I
entered (don't remember being asked that before). Anyhow, after the
upgrade, Amarok would run for a short time and then hang with lots of
disk activity going on but continue play a song. After killing it I
noticed a amarokcollection indexer running in the background which I
also killed.

After starting it a back a few more times with the same result (Amarok
hangs with the collection program running hard) I found that I had to
disable recursive directory searches to prevent this in Amarok preferences.

I think maybe amarok uses mysql but not sure. After this same upgrade
that I applied on Friday, indexing a large LXR database with mysql took
a *very* long time, as I mentioned in an previous post. Both of these
problems seems to start after the Friday update that included a mysql
update and possibly an amarok upgrade too. (LXR is a add-on sourceforge
program that consists of perl scripts and is not part of Fedora.)

-gene

Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:20:39 -0500, GS (Gene) wrote:

> I think maybe amarok uses mysql but not sure. After this same upgrade
> that I applied on Friday, indexing a large LXR database with mysql took
> a *very* long time, as I mentioned in an previous post. Both of these
> problems seems to start after the Friday update that included a mysql
> update

Which version-release is it? Please don't let readers guess.

> and possibly an amarok upgrade too. (LXR is a add-on sourceforge
> program that consists of perl scripts and is not part of Fedora.)

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/search/mysql

By now, all Fedora users ought to have heard about the Fedora Updates
System. Use it frequently. Comment on Test Updates early.
Can you reproduce with the current Test Update for MySQL?

There are also convenient web page such as:
http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/amarok
http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/mysql
You can skim over those pages to search for existing issues and
use the convenience link to report problems.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Gene Smith

I think maybe amarok uses mysql but not sure. After this same upgrade
that I applied on Friday, indexing a large LXR database with mysql took
a *very* long time, as I mentioned in an previous post. Both of these
problems seems to start after the Friday update that included a mysql
update

Which version-release is it? Please don't let readers guess.

Currently installed versions:

mysql-5.5.19-1.fc16.x86_64
mysql-embedded-5.5.19-1.fc16.x86_64 <--amarok uses this by default
amarok-2.5.0-1.fc16.x86_64

Well, maybe I accused/spoke too soon. It appears, based on contents of
/var/log/yum.log that these versions, which are currently installed,
have been on f16 from the beginning (amarok) or updated early Jan (mysql).
So whatever is causing my LXR and/or amarok slowness/lockup is not due
to new versions of these.

and possibly an amarok upgrade too. (LXR is a add-on sourceforge
program that consists of perl scripts and is not part of Fedora.)

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/search/mysql

By now, all Fedora users ought to have heard about the Fedora Updates
System. Use it frequently. Comment on Test Updates early.
Can you reproduce with the current Test Update for MySQL?

I've used the testing repos in the past but prefer to usually just stay
with stable.

There are also convenient web page such as:
http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/amarok
http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/mysql
You can skim over those pages to search for existing issues and
use the convenience link to report problems.

None of these seems to relate to the problem(s) I see. Thanks.

Tried to revert back to previous update before Fri. using yum history
rollback xxx but errors earlier this week with "libvpx" caused it to
fail and --skip-broken didn't help.