Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Punch Cards.

Frank Cox wrote:

Someone mentioned flow charts. I'm pretty sure I still have my flow chart
diagramming stencil in a drawer if I got ambitious enough to go looking for it.
It's a plastic ruler with cut-outs for all of the different shapes (boxes,
curves, etc.) that you put on a flow chart diagram which you can trace off of
the ruler instead of having to draw them by hand. I never was much of an
artist....

I still have a couple of them myself. You can also use dia to create
flow charts. But it is a bit harder when you have a large one.

Mikkel

Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Les

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:20 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:56:54 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
> > I can remember writing a BASIC program that let you type in, and
> > edit code, and would them write it to mag tape.
>
> Someone mentioned flow charts. I'm pretty sure I still have my flow chart
> diagramming stencil in a drawer if I got ambitious enough to go looking for it.
> It's a plastic ruler with cut-outs for all of the different shapes (boxes,
> curves, etc.) that you put on a flow chart diagram which you can trace off of
> the ruler instead of having to draw them by hand. I never was much of an
> artist....

I'm with you. Flowcharting software is much easier and more readable.
Too bad more programmers don't use it.

But today the "RAD" movement dispenses with design of any kind, formal
or informal, at least as it is taught. And please lets all kill the
phrase "Self Documenting Code". If it were self documenting, it
wouldn't be called code.

Regards,
Les H

Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Terry Polzin

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 12:41, Les wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:20 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:56:54 -0500
> >
> > "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> > > I can remember writing a BASIC program that let you type in, and
> > > edit code, and would them write it to mag tape.
> >
> > Someone mentioned flow charts. I'm pretty sure I still have my flow
> > chart diagramming stencil in a drawer if I got ambitious enough to go
> > looking for it. It's a plastic ruler with cut-outs for all of the
> > different shapes (boxes, curves, etc.) that you put on a flow chart
> > diagram which you can trace off of the ruler instead of having to draw
> > them by hand. I never was much of an artist....
>
> I'm with you. Flowcharting software is much easier and more readable.
> Too bad more programmers don't use it.
>
> But today the "RAD" movement dispenses with design of any kind, formal
> or informal, at least as it is taught. And please lets all kill the
> phrase "Self Documenting Code". If it were self documenting, it
> wouldn't be called code.
>
> Regards,
> Les H
We all could probably find our old flowcharting templates and maybe a few
examples of punch cards laying around. What about an IBM system 360 or 370
system reference card with all the neat conversion tables? Or even better
yet old tab machine wiring diagrams for machines like the 519, 557. 548, 402,
403, 407, & 085. I've still got those from High School. Fun times!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Gerhard Magnus

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:20 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:56:54 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
> > I can remember writing a BASIC program that let you type in, and
> > edit code, and would them write it to mag tape.
>
> Someone mentioned flow charts. I'm pretty sure I still have my flow chart
> diagramming stencil in a drawer if I got ambitious enough to go looking for it.
> It's a plastic ruler with cut-outs for all of the different shapes (boxes,
> curves, etc.) that you put on a flow chart diagram which you can trace off of
> the ruler instead of having to draw them by hand. I never was much of an
> artist....

I worked in a "computer room" once, a long time ago -- do they still
have these? The hard drives were as big as washing machines and rattled
as if they were on spin cycle. The two IBM 370s displayed their Program
Status Words in flashing lights! In one back corner was what we called
"the data processing museum" that featured the company's older
equipment, including a card punch the size of a small car. This behemoth
appeared solid except for an input card hopper at the top and an output
tray at the bottom and was programmed by moving wires around on huge
boards that slid into one side.

When the company went out of business the IT guy offered to give me one
of the IBM 370s. But it was far too big to fit in my apartment.

Jerry

Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM
"Alan"

> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 12:41, Les wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:20 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

>> > Someone mentioned flow charts. I'm pretty sure I still have my flow
>> > chart diagramming stencil in a drawer if I got ambitious enough to go
>> > looking for it. It's a plastic ruler with cut-outs for all of the
>> > different shapes (boxes, curves, etc.) that you put on a flow chart
>> > diagram which you can trace off of the ruler instead of having to draw
>> > them by hand. I never was much of an artist....
>>
>> I'm with you. Flowcharting software is much easier and more readable.
>> Too bad more programmers don't use it.
>>
>> But today the "RAD" movement dispenses with design of any kind, formal
>> or informal, at least as it is taught. And please lets all kill the
>> phrase "Self Documenting Code". If it were self documenting, it
>> wouldn't be called code.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Les H
> We all could probably find our old flowcharting templates and maybe a few
> examples of punch cards laying around. What about an IBM system 360 or
> 370
> system reference card with all the neat conversion tables? Or even better
> yet old tab machine wiring diagrams for machines like the 519, 557. 548,
> 402,
> 403, 407, & 085. I've still got those from High School. Fun times!

But do you have any lace cards?

This list is making me feel old. (I started with fortran on cards in
1972. And we had to carve each of the cards from buffalo hides. While the
buffalo were moving. And we were grateful!)

Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Les Mikesell

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

I worked in a "computer room" once, a long time ago -- do they still
have these? The hard drives were as big as washing machines and rattled
as if they were on spin cycle.

They do still have computer rooms and for some reason they just keep
sucking more and more power to run and more air conditioning to cool.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
"Michael Weiner"

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

I worked in a "computer room" once, a long time ago -- do they still

have these? The hard drives were as big as washing machines and rattled

as if they were on spin cycle.

They do still have computer rooms and for some reason they just keep sucking more and more power to run and more air conditioning to cool.
http://www.computersciencelab.com/ComputerHistory/HistoryPt4.htm

Enjoy the walk back!!!!
Michael Weiner

Old 04-02-2008, 07:11 PM
"Dick Seabrook"

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

I worked in a "computer room" once, a long time ago -- do they still

have these? The hard drives were as big as washing machines and rattled

as if they were on spin cycle.

They do still have computer rooms and for some reason they just keep sucking more and more power to run and more air conditioning to cool.
http://www.computersciencelab.com/ComputerHistory/HistoryPt4.htm

Enjoy the walk back!!!!
Michael Weiner

Thanks for the link!* I used to operate one of those 7094s back in the 60s.

Dick S.
--
Dick Seabrook ~ Anne Arundel Community College
http://enterprise.aacc.edu/~rhs ~ Speed the Net!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:20 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I still have my flow chart diagramming stencil in a
> drawer if I got ambitious enough to go looking for it. It's a plastic
> ruler with cut-outs for all of the different shapes (boxes, curves,
> etc.) that you put on a flow chart diagram which you can trace off of
> the ruler instead of having to draw them by hand.

I've still got one of them, too. I don't know what they made it out of,
but even after twenty years it still pongs like it was dipped in vomit.
Thanks to that, I rarely used it. And it was generally quicker just to
sketch by had without fiddling with the stencil.

> I never was much of an artist....

Me either, but I still draw most of my things free hand (generally
electronics, these days), and put up with the wavy lines and
non-grid-aligned layout. Ahh the fun of making circuit boards that ICs
had to go into, hand drawn using a Dalo pen, with the holes drilled
using a hand drill... Hmm, it doesn't quite fit...

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Robin Laing

<mailto:lesmikesell@gmail.com>> wrote:

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

I worked in a "computer room" once, a long time ago -- do they still
have these? The hard drives were as big as washing machines and
rattled
as if they were on spin cycle.

They do still have computer rooms and for some reason they just keep
sucking more and more power to run and more air conditioning to cool.

http://www.computersciencelab.com/ComputerHistory/HistoryPt4.htm

Enjoy the walk back!!!!
Michael Weiner

Thank you for the link.

It was nice to see the TTY there. I remember having a Star Trek program
on paper tape. Let it roll down the outside of the residence building
at school. It was over 10 stories long.

We were the lucky ones in the second year. We had a TI terminal that
had a cassette tape in it. No more punch cards or paper tape for us.

PDP 8's and PDP 11's with the bootloader mylar tape were fun as well.

Now I feel old again.

--
Robin Laing