Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 AM
max

Default Punch Cards.

Da Rock wrote:

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 13:59 -0400, max bianco wrote:

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

Tim wrote:

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 13:28 -0700, David L. Gehrt wrote:

The disk drive were pretty good EXCEPT the spindle bearings were made of
some space age material prone to disintegration after a short period of
use. I knew DEC was going to be in trouble when the repair guy stated
that the problem we had with those bearings was because we were running
UNIX not DEC's VMS OS.

I've heard similar bulldust about using Linux being the cause of some
problem that it couldn't possibly be. It makes you wonder whether these
people believe their own rubbish, are incompetent, or think that you're
stupid.

Or just want to get out of warranty... there was an article (Slashdot IIRC)
about HP voiding warranty on laptops converted to Linux, even though they
sell similar models with Linux installed. Never checked it out, don't care,
but I assume it's true.

I have heard similar stories. Recently I bought my better half a new
laptop. I went around to the usual stores and point blank told them
that Windows would last long enough for one boot just to make sure the
thing was working before I wiped the harddrive and flashed the bios.
They told me they wouldn't honor any warranty on the hardware if the
original OS was not there. Needless to say they didn't get the sale. I
called Dell and told them that since their Linux offerings were so
weak I was going to get an XP laptop and wipe it off to install Linux.
They told me they would honor the hardware warranty regardless of the
OS. Sold. Now she's happy and so am I.

Is there any success in getting Dell to sell hardware without the OS?
They don't sell the linux systems anywhere but the US.

They wouldn't sell me one with no OS but they are willing to support the
hardware which in my book is just as good and no less than they should
do anyway.
I think in the future they may offer blank hardware but they'd find
someway to keep charging just as much so it really doesn't matter. I'd
like to see Dell offer RedHat on a desktop , there are plenty of small
businesses that would quickly jump on to save a few bucks, even with the
cost of support(which they wouldn't need for more than a year or two)
they'd save big on applications, the day is coming I think but not soon
enough for my taste.

Max

Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Da Rock

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 20:42 -0400, max wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:
> >>>
> >> Or just want to get out of warranty... there was an article (Slashdot
> >> IIRC) about HP voiding warranty on laptops converted to Linux, even
> >> though they sell similar models with Linux installed. Never checked it
> >> out, don't care, but I assume it's true.
> >
> > No, they don't sell them at all with linux- except maybe on their server
> > line. And yes, they refuse to fix them unless Windows is installed. Got
> > 2 laptops myself and have this problem everytime I ring up- it wont boot
> > at all- must be the wrong OS installed because POST fails...
> >

> I can't believe a company like HP would lay that nonsense down as policy.
> Absolutely insane. Funny thing is my current workstation was headed for
> the trash heap. Supposedly a hardware problem. It would blue screen
> within a twenty minutes of getting to the XP desktop. Reinstalling
> windows and updating all the drivers didn't work. Gotta be a hardware
> problem but lo and behold I loaded F7 , since upgraded to F8, and she's
> purring like a kitten ever since, been runnin for months, gotta be a
> year or so by now. I fully expect it will live to upgrade to F9 and
> probably 10. There have been a couple of other PC's come across my bench
> like that too.
>
> Max

Probably memory or similar. If you start getting issues in Windows soon
you'll see probs in *nix.

Before the POST issue mine was overheating- must be *nix! They tried to
tell me that the bios and drivers had to be updated to fix the problem.
Meanwhile the drivers hadn't been updated since well before I installed
*nix. I copied the page with all the driver updates plus the install
date of my *nix system and took it to Fair Trading. Needless to say I
won.

Next issue is I bought HP extended warranty - pick and return - and the
service agent tells me that unless I box up the unit properly for a
courier their not legally responsible! I've told them time and again
that once I call and the unit leaves my hands in any way that it no
longer is my responsibility- its theirs. But still they get agro if I
tell them I can't find a box to put it in. I'd LOVE to see them in court
trying to hold that up...

Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Da Rock

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 21:03 -0400, max wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:

> >> I have heard similar stories. Recently I bought my better half a new
> >> laptop. I went around to the usual stores and point blank told them
> >> that Windows would last long enough for one boot just to make sure the
> >> thing was working before I wiped the harddrive and flashed the bios.
> >> They told me they wouldn't honor any warranty on the hardware if the
> >> original OS was not there. Needless to say they didn't get the sale. I
> >> called Dell and told them that since their Linux offerings were so
> >> weak I was going to get an XP laptop and wipe it off to install Linux.
> >> They told me they would honor the hardware warranty regardless of the
> >> OS. Sold. Now she's happy and so am I.
> >
> > Is there any success in getting Dell to sell hardware without the OS?
> > They don't sell the linux systems anywhere but the US.
> >

> They wouldn't sell me one with no OS but they are willing to support the
> hardware which in my book is just as good and no less than they should
> do anyway.
> I think in the future they may offer blank hardware but they'd find
> someway to keep charging just as much so it really doesn't matter. I'd
> like to see Dell offer RedHat on a desktop , there are plenty of small
> businesses that would quickly jump on to save a few bucks, even with the
> cost of support(which they wouldn't need for more than a year or two)
> they'd save big on applications, the day is coming I think but not soon
> enough for my taste.
>
> Max

Indeed. Considering now M$ is no longer offering OEM which means costs
will go up...

On the blank hardware front- anyone know where to get notebook mb's? I
can find screens and chassis, but no mb. I asked AMD but they avoided
the question, and I don't really want intel. But at this point I'm
beyond caring.

If I can achieve this then I'll support blank hardware- any buyers here?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 AM
max

Da Rock wrote:

[...]

I don't know about that, still going after so many months and I didn't
change any of the hardware. I don't expect it will hold up forever but
by all rights it shouldn't even have worked at all. I've found a few
"dead" PC's that will spring back to life with a shot of Linux. Don't
get me wrong , I 'm not saying its the cure all but it seems that Linux
treats the hardware better than doze does. I 've had people tell me as
much but things like that are hard to prove and I don't think I'd
believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. Anyway its perfectly possible
that it was something else entirely......

Before the POST issue mine was overheating- must be *nix! They tried to
tell me that the bios and drivers had to be updated to fix the problem.
Meanwhile the drivers hadn't been updated since well before I installed
*nix. I copied the page with all the driver updates plus the install
date of my *nix system and took it to Fair Trading. Needless to say I
won.

This kind of ignorance is hard to comprehend but then I have to remind
myself that the majority of people using computers today aren't even
aware that something besides M$ exists. That is hard to believe but its
true. I've had more than one PC "tech" tell me that cleaning up viruses
and spyware is their bread and butter, they won't give it up. Frankly I
think that's disgusting, leeching hard working people just because they
don't know any better. Its the way of the world but you know what? It
will collapse under its own rotten stinking weight eventually. Then
people will be forced to learn and a great many will be forced to hide
once people find out how they've been taken. My father is fond of
telling me, " You can only hide your turds in the snow till spring time."

Max

Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 AM
max

Da Rock wrote:

[...]

As far as I know there isn't a generic laptop. All of them are
proprietary in one way or another, doesn't mean you can't find the
boards but good luck getting them to fit into anything but the original
manufacturer's case.

Max

Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Da Rock

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 23:10 -0400, max wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:

> >> They wouldn't sell me one with no OS but they are willing to support the
> >> hardware which in my book is just as good and no less than they should
> >> do anyway.
> >> I think in the future they may offer blank hardware but they'd find
> >> someway to keep charging just as much so it really doesn't matter. I'd
> >> like to see Dell offer RedHat on a desktop , there are plenty of small
> >> businesses that would quickly jump on to save a few bucks, even with the
> >> cost of support(which they wouldn't need for more than a year or two)
> >> they'd save big on applications, the day is coming I think but not soon
> >> enough for my taste.
> >>
> >> Max
> >>

> > Indeed. Considering now M$ is no longer offering OEM which means costs
> > will go up...
> >
> > On the blank hardware front- anyone know where to get notebook mb's? I
> > can find screens and chassis, but no mb. I asked AMD but they avoided
> > the question, and I don't really want intel. But at this point I'm
> > beyond caring.
> >
> As far as I know there isn't a generic laptop. All of them are
> proprietary in one way or another, doesn't mean you can't find the
> boards but good luck getting them to fit into anything but the original
> manufacturer's case.

You used to be able to get them- I knew a computer tech who used to
build them himself. Can't find them now, though...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
max

Da Rock wrote:

[...]

I have been able to find boards but they are usually very expensive. No
standard form factor so they can charge whatever they like.

Max