-   -   Punch Cards. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/62845-punch-cards.html)

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 04-02-2008 02:56 PM

Punch Cards.

Craig White wrote:

and as for everyone going on about punch cards...perhaps in 20 more
years, it will be considered ancient history but now, there are way too
many of us still around that remember them to make them an interesting
story.

Craig

I can remember writing a BASIC program that let you type in, and
edit code, and would them write it to mag tape. I would then take
the tape down to the IBM 360 and you it as input data for a program
that would then output them to the high speed card punch. The only
problem was that the high speed punch would not print on the top of
the card, so it was harder to know what the card said. Now if only
they would have had the high speed punch on the same system as the
terminals...

Mikkel

Craig White 04-02-2008 03:08 PM

Punch Cards.

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:56 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> >
> > and as for everyone going on about punch cards...perhaps in 20 more
> > years, it will be considered ancient history but now, there are way too
> > many of us still around that remember them to make them an interesting
> > story.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> I can remember writing a BASIC program that let you type in, and
> edit code, and would them write it to mag tape. I would then take
> the tape down to the IBM 360 and you it as input data for a program
> that would then output them to the high speed card punch. The only
> problem was that the high speed punch would not print on the top of
> the card, so it was harder to know what the card said. Now if only
> they would have had the high speed punch on the same system as the
> terminals...
----
the grand old days of sneaker net.

amazing the things that we used to do that in those days were considered
to be innovative/clever. Thankfully, there's been a little more
convergence of technology since then.

Craig

Frank Cox 04-02-2008 03:20 PM

Punch Cards.

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:56:54 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> I can remember writing a BASIC program that let you type in, and
> edit code, and would them write it to mag tape.

Someone mentioned flow charts. I'm pretty sure I still have my flow chart
diagramming stencil in a drawer if I got ambitious enough to go looking for it.
It's a plastic ruler with cut-outs for all of the different shapes (boxes,
curves, etc.) that you put on a flow chart diagram which you can trace off of
the ruler instead of having to draw them by hand. I never was much of an
artist....