Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Andras Simon

Default adios flash, watch youtube videos in html5

2012/2/1, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com>:

> Find a video without ads.... Like this one....
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mP39wS_FxQ
>
> Then right click in the video and you'll notice it is not using flash...

It is, here. I guess it's conditional on the capabilities of your browser.

Andras

Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Darlene Wallach

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/2/1, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@dslextreme.com>:
>> try this:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kFC6KSNVc&webm=1
>>
>> It plays in my Firefox browser
>
> It's Flash here.
>
> Andras
> --

OOPS! I spoke too soon. You are correct. I apologize - I should have
checked by right clicking in the video to verify it was html5.

Thank you for your feedback.

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Ed Greshko

On 02/01/2012 09:34 AM, Andras Simon wrote:
> 2012/2/1, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com>:
>
>> Find a video without ads.... Like this one....
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mP39wS_FxQ
>>
>> Then right click in the video and you'll notice it is not using flash...
> It is, here. I guess it's conditional on the capabilities of your browser.

Strange....

Both Chrome 16.0.912.77 and Firefox 9.0.1 show it in html5 here....

Double check to make sure you've opted in? You do have to opt in...

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis

Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Tom Horsley

So if you have to opt in to this, what have I been watching
videos with on my phone? It is android 2.2, and doesn't have
flash, yet youtube has been working fine.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Ed Greshko

On 02/01/2012 09:49 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> So if you have to opt in to this, what have I been watching
> videos with on my phone? It is android 2.2, and doesn't have
> flash, yet youtube has been working fine.

Maybe this statement in the original post applies to you?

Some users of supported browsers are automatically entered in to the trial.

Maybe this "trail" only applies to desktop browsers?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Ed Greshko

On 02/01/2012 09:54 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 09:49 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> So if you have to opt in to this, what have I been watching
>> videos with on my phone? It is android 2.2, and doesn't have
>> flash, yet youtube has been working fine.
> Maybe this statement in the original post applies to you?
>
> Some users of supported browsers are automatically entered in to the trial.
>
> Maybe this "trail" only applies to desktop browsers?

FWIW, I just went to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mP39wS_FxQ on a FF
browser on a Fedora 16 system without flash installed. The browser very
briefly displays "plugin not found" and then switches to html5 while
telling me that if I want to I should install flash.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Andras Simon

2012/2/1, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com>:
> On 02/01/2012 09:34 AM, Andras Simon wrote:
>> 2012/2/1, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com>:
>>
>>> Find a video without ads.... Like this one....
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mP39wS_FxQ
>>>
>>> Then right click in the video and you'll notice it is not using flash...
>> It is, here. I guess it's conditional on the capabilities of your browser.
>>

> Strange....
>
> Both Chrome 16.0.912.77 and Firefox 9.0.1 show it in html5 here....
>
> Double check to make sure you've opted in? You do have to opt in...

I did now, and voilą! It's html5!

Thanks!

Andras

Old 02-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 31 January 2012 20:17:15 Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 19:14 -0600, Dave Ulrick wrote:
> > I successfully played two YouTube videos via HTML5 using Firefox 9.0.1.
> > They both played through all the way with no noticable glitches but I
> > did
> > notice that full-screen mode made the video take over only the whole of
> > the Firefox browser window rather than the entire screen.
>
> For what it's worth, support for getting true full-screen was just added
> as a major feature of Firefox 10 (released today). In a few days, that
> will filter out to updates-testing, I'm sure.

True fullscreen works, but in two steps --- first click on the button to make
the video "fullscreen" inside the firefox window, and then press F11 to
activate the fullscreen mode in firefox. Just tested on firefox 9.0.1 (F16
stable).

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Steven Stern

On 01/31/2012 06:20 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Itamar Reis Peixoto writes:
>
>> adios flash, watch youtube videos in html5
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> It would be nice, if it actually worked. Does not work for me. None of
> the webm-encoded videos, that come up in the search, will start playing.

Works for me using Chrome on F16.i686

--
-- Steve

Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Peter Gordon

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 20:49 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> So if you have to opt in to this, what have I been watching
> videos with on my phone? It is android 2.2, and doesn't have
> flash, yet youtube has been working fine.

IIRC, Android has its own built-in YouTube app which handles things
instead of a Flash plugin, but only for the YouTube site.

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter@thecodergeek.com>
Who am I? :: http://thecodergeek.com/about-me