Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Charles Sullivan

Default FC6 mount ntfs-3g problem.

How can I mount a USB external drive (SimpleTech 320 GB) as a normal
user?

If as a normal user I run 'mount /[mount_point]', there's no error message
but the device is not mounted. As root the same command mounts the
device and I am thereafter able to read and write to it as a normal user.

Here's what I've got. What else do I need to do?

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.22.14-72.fc6 (brewbuilder@hs20-bc1-6.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-13)) #1 SMP Wed Nov 21 15:12:59 EST 2007

$ rpm -q ntfs-3g fuse
ntfs-3g-1.1104-1.fc6
fuse-2.7.0-6.fc6

$ ls -l /bin/ntfs-3g
-rwsrwxrwx 1 root root 39052 Nov 8 13:59 /bin/ntfs-3g

In /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1 /simple ntfs-3g noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0

$ ls -dl /simple
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Apr 1 23:18 /simple

$ ls -l /dev/sd*
brw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 8, 0 Apr 1 23:58 /dev/sda
brw-rw-rw- 1 cwsulliv disk 8, 1 Apr 2 00:10 /dev/sda1

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

--
Charles Sullivan <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com>

Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Ian Malone

Charles Sullivan wrote:

How can I mount a USB external drive (SimpleTech 320 GB) as a normal
user?

If as a normal user I run 'mount /[mount_point]', there's no error message
but the device is not mounted. As root the same command mounts the
device and I am thereafter able to read and write to it as a normal user.

Here's what I've got. What else do I need to do?

Try the ntfs-config package. This will give you an 'NTFS configuration
tool' (in applications|system tools in FC6), which should make setting
this up easier. There is one possible problem with your fstab, but I'm
not convinced that's what's wrong.

$ ls -l /bin/ntfs-3g
-rwsrwxrwx 1 root root 39052 Nov 8 13:59 /bin/ntfs-3g

I'd note that here, and below, this file should not be world writeable
(the only things in /bin that should be are links).

In /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1 /simple ntfs-3g noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0

I can't see anything obviously wrong with these options. Except that
there's no uid specified. The following is what I've got:

/dev/sda1 /media/FreeAgent ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0

I've had a go at setting the users option and see the same behaviour as
you on FC6 (silent failure to mount). I don't know if this is fixed in
later versions.

$ ls -dl /simple
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Apr 1 23:18 /simple

Is this what it looks like with the device mounted or without? The
mount point directory does not actually need these permissions, as they
are over-ridden by the mounted filesystem.

$ ls -l /dev/sd*
brw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 8, 0 Apr 1 23:58 /dev/sda
brw-rw-rw- 1 cwsulliv disk 8, 1 Apr 2 00:10 /dev/sda1

Again, these are too permissive, should be 'brw-r-----', have you
changed them?

--
imalone

Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
"max bianco"

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Charles Sullivan <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> How can I mount a USB external drive (SimpleTech 320 GB) as a normal
> user?
>
> If as a normal user I run 'mount /[mount_point]', there's no error message
> but the device is not mounted. As root the same command mounts the
> device and I am thereafter able to read and write to it as a normal user.

Thats because by default only root can use the mount command. So the
question is which group can you add yourself too that has that
permission? or is it simply a matter of the command not being in the
users path? I am running F8 not FC6 so others can maybe provide better
that.

Max

Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:16 -0400, max bianco wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Charles Sullivan <cwsulliv@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > How can I mount a USB external drive (SimpleTech 320 GB) as a normal
> > user?
> >
> > If as a normal user I run 'mount /[mount_point]', there's no error message
> > but the device is not mounted. As root the same command mounts the
> > device and I am thereafter able to read and write to it as a normal user.
> >
> Thats because by default only root can use the mount command. So the
> question is which group can you add yourself too that has that
> permission? or is it simply a matter of the command not being in the
> users path? I am running F8 not FC6 so others can maybe provide better
> that.

If it was just a permissions problem, 'mount' would give an error
message. Likewise if it wasn't in the user's path (it's possible though
unlikely that $PATH gets him a different version of 'mount'; using
'/bin/mount' would get round that).

poc

Old 04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
TNWestTex

Charles Sullivan-2 wrote:

> How can I mount a USB external drive (SimpleTech 320 GB) as a normal
> user?
>
> If as a normal user I run 'mount /[mount_point]', there's no error message
> but the device is not mounted. As root the same command mounts the
> device and I am thereafter able to read and write to it as a normal user.
>
> Here's what I've got. What else do I need to do?
>
> $ cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.22.14-72.fc6 (brewbuilder@hs20-bc1-6.build.redhat.com)
> (gcc version 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-13)) #1 SMP Wed Nov 21 15:12:59
> EST 2007
>
> $ rpm -q ntfs-3g fuse
> ntfs-3g-1.1104-1.fc6
> fuse-2.7.0-6.fc6
>
> $ ls -l /bin/ntfs-3g
> -rwsrwxrwx 1 root root 39052 Nov 8 13:59 /bin/ntfs-3g
>
> In /etc/fstab:
> /dev/sda1 /simple ntfs-3g noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0
>
> $ ls -dl /simple
> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Apr 1 23:18 /simple
>
> $ ls -l /dev/sd*
> brw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 8, 0 Apr 1 23:58 /dev/sda
> brw-rw-rw- 1 cwsulliv disk 8, 1 Apr 2 00:10 /dev/sda1

An earlier thread gave this note. With setup in /etc/fstab
mount by normal user is not recommended.
If you insist on that, here are the steps:

1. # chmod a+rw /dev/hda1
2. # echo user_allow_other >> /etc/fuse.conf
3. # chmod +s /bin/ntfs-3g
4. $ ntfs-3g -o dmask=022,fmask=111 /dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k

http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged
http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged

While it is on my list of todos I haven't actually tried this yet. Also it
may require more recent versions of ntfs-3g than you have for fc6.

Robert McBroom

Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
TNWestTex

-----