Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Chris G

Default copying files with notes

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:19:15AM -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I've been using the "notes" feature a lot with files (activated via the
> right mouse button on any icon.) Yet when I backup files I have tagged
> in this way (actually using scp) I lose the notes! Where are these
> "notes" stored? Is there some way of backing them up along with the
> files? Thanks for the help! --Jerry

It's most likely they're in a hidden file in the directory where the
files are I would guess.

--
Chris Green

Old 04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 08:19 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:

> I've been using the "notes" feature a lot with files (activated via the

> right mouse button on any icon.) Yet when I backup files I have tagged

> in this way (actually using scp) I lose the notes! Where are these

> "notes" stored? Is there some way of backing them up along with the

> files? Thanks for the help! --Jerry

Is this 'notes' thing a feature of your desktop? If so, what desktop are

you using? This is not a general Linux (or Fedora) feature.

Its present in Gnome at least on F8 and f7 too if i remember right. Right click on a file and select properties and there is a notes tab.

Max

Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Gerhard Magnus

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 10:55 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 08:19 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I've been using the "notes" feature a lot with files (activated via the
> > right mouse button on any icon.) Yet when I backup files I have tagged
> > in this way (actually using scp) I lose the notes! Where are these
> > "notes" stored? Is there some way of backing them up along with the
> > files? Thanks for the help! --Jerry
>
> Is this 'notes' thing a feature of your desktop? If so, what desktop are
> you using? This is not a general Linux (or Fedora) feature.
>
> poc

I'm using gnome. I thought there might be hidden files containing these
notes. But least one directory that has a lot of files I've tagged in
this way doesn't contain any hidden files at all.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Gerhard Magnus <magnus@agora.rdrop.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 10:55 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 08:19 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > > I've been using the "notes" feature a lot with files (activated via the
> > > right mouse button on any icon.) Yet when I backup files I have tagged
> > > in this way (actually using scp) I lose the notes! Where are these
> > > "notes" stored? Is there some way of backing them up along with the
> > > files? Thanks for the help! --Jerry
> >
> > Is this 'notes' thing a feature of your desktop? If so, what desktop are
> > you using? This is not a general Linux (or Fedora) feature.
> >
> > poc
> >
> I'm using gnome. I thought there might be hidden files containing these
> notes. But least one directory that has a lot of files I've tagged in
> this way doesn't contain any hidden files at all.

You might look into where or how the file properties are stored, this
may give you a clue as to where all the notes have gone or might be
found.

Max

Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:41 PM, max bianco <maximilianbianco@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Gerhard Magnus <magnus@agora.rdrop.com> wrote:

> > > Is this 'notes' thing a feature of your desktop? If so, what desktop are
> > > you using? This is not a general Linux (or Fedora) feature.
> > >
> > > poc
> > >
> > I'm using gnome. I thought there might be hidden files containing these
> > notes. But least one directory that has a lot of files I've tagged in
> > this way doesn't contain any hidden files at all.
> >

> You might look into where or how the file properties are stored, this
> may give you a clue as to where all the notes have gone or might be
> found.
>
> Max

This may be relevant :

http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/mail-archive/msg05882.html

A quick scan reveals that it may be the file metadata that you are
after and that it is not always carried over when copying files with
certain programs/utilities.

One suggestion is to tar the files(zip them up) and then copy them,
this may preserve the metadata you need. Good Luck.

Max

Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Phil Meyer

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

I've been using the "notes" feature a lot with files (activated via the
right mouse button on any icon.) Yet when I backup files I have tagged
in this way (actually using scp) I lose the notes! Where are these
"notes" stored? Is there some way of backing them up along with the
files? Thanks for the help! --Jerry

This is a function of nautilus, and so the data in the notes are stored
in the nautilus database. ie: ~/.nautilus/metafiles

specifically: file:%2F%2F%2Fparent_directory%2Fdirectory.xml

Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 12:07 -0400, max bianco wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 08:19 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I've been using the "notes" feature a lot with files
> (activated via the
> > right mouse button on any icon.) Yet when I backup files I
> have tagged
> > in this way (actually using scp) I lose the notes! Where are
> these
> > "notes" stored? Is there some way of backing them up along
> with the
> > files? Thanks for the help! --Jerry
>

> Is this 'notes' thing a feature of your desktop? If so, what
> desktop are
> you using? This is not a general Linux (or Fedora) feature.
>
> Its present in Gnome at least on F8 and f7 too if i remember right.
> Right click on a file and select properties and there is a notes tab.
>
> Max
That is interesting. I wonder why I never (and others obviously as well)
have noticed this feature before. Seems very useful.