Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Danny Strube (danny)

Default where can i find the default keyrings???

hi everybody,
every time when I want to check my emails with evolution,
than 1. it asks me the normal password that I entered, and 2. it asks me for the default keyring password, but i don't know that default keyring password.
what can I do and where can i make/change the keyring passwords?
please need your help.
danny :-)

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=253718&topic_id=54719&forum= 24#forumpost253718
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame dannystrube@shaw.ca.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
"max bianco"

every time when I want to check my emails with evolution,

than 1. it asks me the normal password that I entered, and 2. it asks me for the default keyring password, but i don't know that default keyring password.

what can I do and where can i make/change the keyring passwords?

please need your help.

danny :-)

*

Make sure you have the keyring manager installed. It can be found under System>Preferences>System>Keyring Manager(on F8) from here you should be able to delete the keyring if you want . I had a similar issue recently and i had to delete the old keyring. Once you delete the old keyring it should basically start over for you. Ask for a new password and collect the passwords for different applications as you use them etc... I found it fairly self explanatory

Max

Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Bradley Pursley

<mailto:no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org>> wrote:

[...]

You still didn't answer the original question: "Where are the keyring
files?"

Bradley

Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Bradley Pursley
<pursley001@comcast.net> wrote:
> max bianco wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM, max bianco <maximilianbianco@gmail.com
> <mailto:maximilianbianco@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Danny Strube (danny)
> > <no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org
> >
> > <mailto:no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org>> wrote:
> >
> > hi everybody,
> > every time when I want to check my emails with evolution,
> > than 1. it asks me the normal password that I entered, and 2.
> > it asks me for the default keyring password, but i don't know
> > that default keyring password.
> > what can I do and where can i make/change the keyring passwords?
> > please need your help.
> > danny :-)
> >

> > Make sure you have the keyring manager installed. It can be found under
> System>Preferences>System>Keyring Manager(on F8) from here you should be
> able to delete the keyring if you want . I had a similar issue recently and
> i had to delete the old keyring. Once you delete the old keyring it should
> basically start over for you. Ask for a new password and collect the
> passwords for different applications as you use them etc... I found it
> fairly self explanatory
> >
> > Max
> >
> You still didn't answer the original question: "Where are the keyring
> files?"

Your not paying attention. The original post asked where changes could
be made and I answered that question. Keyring manager is where a
legitimate user makes his/her changes. If your foolish enough to
forget all your passwords and depend on the keyring manager to
remember them all for you, well that's another issue all together. In
either case if evolution asks for the email password and you provide
it then it will work without needing to consult the keyring manager.
It sounds to me like someone is phishing.....

Max

Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Bradley Pursley

You still didn't answer the original question: "Where are the keyring
files?"

Your not paying attention. The original post asked where changes could
be made and I answered that question. Keyring manager is where a
legitimate user makes his/her changes. If your foolish enough to
forget all your passwords and depend on the keyring manager to
remember them all for you, well that's another issue all together. In
either case if evolution asks for the email password and you provide
it then it will work without needing to consult the keyring manager.
It sounds to me like someone is phishing.....

Max

Your response was rude and very presuming and I take offense to it.

Here is why I need to know where the files are:

1) I am the sole administrator for both machines that I have.
2) I am the sole person who set them up and configured them but never
set up any "keyring" passwords.
3) The system started prompting me for the default keyring password,
which was never set up, to save the network key for a wireless connection.
4) No password ever used on the system works for the so-called "default
keyring password".
5) As such, I believe that the keyring file is corrupted and needs to
be deleted and recreated, which means I need to know where they are.

Bradley

Old 04-29-2008, 04:31 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Bradley Pursley
<pursley001@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > You still didn't answer the original question: "Where are the keyring
> > > files?"
> > >

> > Your not paying attention. The original post asked where changes could
> > be made and I answered that question. Keyring manager is where a
> > legitimate user makes his/her changes. If your foolish enough to
> > forget all your passwords and depend on the keyring manager to
> > remember them all for you, well that's another issue all together. In
> > either case if evolution asks for the email password and you provide
> > it then it will work without needing to consult the keyring manager.
> > It sounds to me like someone is phishing.....
> >
> > Max
> >

> Your response was rude and very presuming and I take offense to it.
> Here is why I need to know where the files are:
>
> 1) I am the sole administrator for both machines that I have.
> 2) I am the sole person who set them up and configured them but never set
> up any "keyring" passwords.
> 3) The system started prompting me for the default keyring password, which
> was never set up, to save the network key for a wireless connection.
> 4) No password ever used on the system works for the so-called "default
> keyring password".
> 5) As such, I believe that the keyring file is corrupted and needs to be
> deleted and recreated, which means I need to know where they are.

You can take offense if you like, if you have the keyring manager
installed, it is a simple matter to delete the keyrings, if you have
even bothered to try, but it doesn't sound like it. Editing corrupted
files by hand, assuming they will even open is not likely to work,
IMHO. However google may enlighten you like it did me as to their
location if you take the time to use it that is. In addition you are
not the author of the original post as near as I can tell.

Max

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Bradley Pursley

max bianco wrote:

[...]

(I'm going to ignore any further personal attacks)

Okay, I'll lay it out for you just so you'll stop making those false
assumptions and yes, I was not the original author but was hoping for an
answer to my problem.

The keyring manager will not work, nor any other program that uses the
keyrings, because it requires a password, which I don't have, for a
"default" keyring. This all started when I started using Network
Manager to connect via a wireless network and it started asking for a
password so that it could save the network key required to connect.
Since I don't have they keyring password it won't save the network key
and now prompts for it, along with the keyring password, every time you
log into the system. Mind you, this is not a critical problem but is a
major nuisance since the network key is a secured 25 digit hexidecimal
number.

Now, my options appear to be to change a setting unknown to me, delete
the files and recreate them or find some utility to "fix" the files.
Granted, I am not against having to use some kind of option to
re-install the software and overwrite the configuration files since
nothing has been permanently saved.

Bradley

Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM

>From: Bradley Pursley <pursley001@comcast.net>
>Date: 2008/04/29 Tue PM 12:14:36 CDT
>To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: where can i find the default keyrings???

>max bianco wrote:

>>> Your response was rude and very presuming and I take offense to it.
>>> Here is why I need to know where the files are:
>>>
>>> 1) I am the sole administrator for both machines that I have.
>>> 2) I am the sole person who set them up and configured them but never set
>>> up any "keyring" passwords.
>>> 3) The system started prompting me for the default keyring password, which
>>> was never set up, to save the network key for a wireless connection.
>>> 4) No password ever used on the system works for the so-called "default
>>> keyring password".
>>> 5) As such, I believe that the keyring file is corrupted and needs to be
>>> deleted and recreated, which means I need to know where they are.
>>>

>> You can take offense if you like, if you have the keyring manager
>> installed, it is a simple matter to delete the keyrings, if you have
>> even bothered to try, but it doesn't sound like it. Editing corrupted
>> files by hand, assuming they will even open is not likely to work,
>> IMHO. However google may enlighten you like it did me as to their
>> location if you take the time to use it that is. In addition you are
>> not the author of the original post as near as I can tell.
>>
>> Max
>(I'm going to ignore any further personal attacks)
>
>Okay, I'll lay it out for you just so you'll stop making those false
>assumptions and yes, I was not the original author but was hoping for an
>answer to my problem.
>
>The keyring manager will not work, nor any other program that uses the
>keyrings, because it requires a password, which I don't have, for a
>"default" keyring. This all started when I started using Network
>Manager to connect via a wireless network and it started asking for a
>password so that it could save the network key required to connect.
>Since I don't have they keyring password it won't save the network key
>and now prompts for it, along with the keyring password, every time you
>log into the system. Mind you, this is not a critical problem but is a
>major nuisance since the network key is a secured 25 digit hexidecimal
>number.
>
>Now, my options appear to be to change a setting unknown to me, delete
>the files and recreate them or find some utility to "fix" the files.
>Granted, I am not against having to use some kind of option to
>re-install the software and overwrite the configuration files since
>nothing has been permanently saved.
>
>Bradley

Okay, children. Tame it down or you both get a time out!

Delete /home/YOUR NAME/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring

Gnome/network manager will recreate the default.keyring with correct permisssions next time you connect. Enter the same password as you login password and I believe it will not prompt you in the future.

~~R

Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Les

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 12:14 -0500, Bradley Pursley wrote:
> Granted, I am not against having to use some kind of option to
Did you just try your admin password?

Regards,
Les H