Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Dan Thurman

Default FireFox: How to set font-size for F/F menu?

I have looked into Edit/Preference and for the life
of me, I am unable to determine why my menu-fonts are
so tiny, like a size 6 or something. I cannot even
read it.

Seems that my Firefox is not taking the system font
size although the system-colors are fine.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:47 AM
"Antti J. Huhtala"

ma, 2008-03-31 kello 19:39 -0700, Dan Thurman kirjoitti:
> I have looked into Edit/Preference and for the life
> of me, I am unable to determine why my menu-fonts are
> so tiny, like a size 6 or something. I cannot even
> read it.
>
> Seems that my Firefox is not taking the system font
> size although the system-colors are fine.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?
>
> Thanks!

Try pressing the Ctrl key of your keyboard and simultaneously scrolling
the wheel of your mouse if it has got one.

Antti

Old 04-01-2008, 03:06 AM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

Dan Thurman spake thusly:

> I have looked into Edit/Preference and for the life of me, I am unable
> to determine why my menu-fonts are so tiny, like a size 6 or something.
> I cannot even read it.

That's really odd. I typically have the opposite problem. The fonts on
the menus are much larger than those in other apps.

> Seems that my Firefox is not taking the system font size although the
> system-colors are fine.

Firefox never does by default. It has something to do with XUL which is
what what Mozilla uses for it's applications.

> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?

I just did a Google search and came up with this:

Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
I've never used an OS I didn't (dis)like.
I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Dan Thurman

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 20:06 -0700, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> Dan Thurman spake thusly:
>
> > I have looked into Edit/Preference and for the life of me,
> > I am unable to determine why my menu-fonts are so tiny, like a
> > size 6 or something. I cannot even read it.
>
> That's really odd. I typically have the opposite problem. The
> fonts on the menus are much larger than those in other apps.
>
> > Seems that my Firefox is not taking the system font size
> > although the system-colors are fine.
>
> Firefox never does by default. It has something to do with XUL
> which is what what Mozilla uses for it's applications.
>

> > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?
>
> I just did a Google search and came up with this:
>
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44527

The above link helped. I had to create a userChrome.css
file as all the other suggestions were harder to find
and root-out. Deleting the ~mozilla/firefox did not
work, changing via kcontrol does not change settings
under Gnome, and rolling up sleeves and going on an
easter-egg hunt via ~/.gtkrc* was not too appealing
since there are no specifics offered.

Anyway, thanks!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
"Antti J. Huhtala"

ti, 2008-04-01 kello 09:51 -0600, Aaron Konstam kirjoitti:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> > ma, 2008-03-31 kello 19:39 -0700, Dan Thurman kirjoitti:
> > > I have looked into Edit/Preference and for the life
> > > of me, I am unable to determine why my menu-fonts are
> > > so tiny, like a size 6 or something. I cannot even
> > > read it.
> > >
> > > Seems that my Firefox is not taking the system font
> > > size although the system-colors are fine.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > Try pressing the Ctrl key of your keyboard and simultaneously scrolling
> > the wheel of your mouse if it has got one.
> >
> > Antti
> >

> That changes the size of the font in the display as does ctrl + but does
> nothing to the menu fonts. So does Preferences->Content

Yes, I realized Dan was talking about *menu* fonts and not page fonts
right after pressing the "Send" button. It was 05:47 local and I should
have been in bed for hours.
> I would go to: about:config There are lots of font configurations there.
> Maybe one will be relevant.
It may be more involved than that. No doubt menu font sizes can be
altered *somewhere*...

Antti

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 06:23:06PM +0300, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:

> ti, 2008-04-01 kello 09:51 -0600, Aaron Konstam kirjoitti:

> > > Try pressing the Ctrl key of your keyboard and simultaneously scrolling
> > > the wheel of your mouse if it has got one.
> > >
> > > Antti
> > >

> > That changes the size of the font in the display as does ctrl + but does
> > nothing to the menu fonts. So does Preferences->Content
> >
> Yes, I realized Dan was talking about *menu* fonts and not page fonts
> right after pressing the "Send" button. It was 05:47 local and I should
> have been in bed for hours.
> > I would go to: about:config There are lots of font configurations there.
> > Maybe one will be relevant.
> It may be more involved than that. No doubt menu font sizes can be
> altered *somewhere*...

There are two places that will affect the menu (and other fonts which
are part of the program rather than of the web pages being
displayed):-

The 'skin' being used, I *think* you may be able to change the
font sizes used in the chrome directory under .mozilla.

The desktop being used may set font sizes and firefox probably
tries to inherit these.

--
Chris Green

Old 04-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Aaron Konstam

Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

Dan Thurman spake thusly:

>> > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?
>>
>> I just did a Google search and came up with this:
>>
>> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44527
>
> The above link helped. I had to create a userChrome.css file as all the
> other suggestions were harder to find and root-out. Deleting the
> ~mozilla/firefox did not work, changing via kcontrol does not change
> settings under Gnome, and rolling up sleeves and going on an easter-egg
> hunt via ~/.gtkrc* was not too appealing since there are no specifics
> offered.
>
> Anyway, thanks!

You might check here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+Support+Home+Page

And if that doesn't help, you might try asking for help in one (or both)
of these places.:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

They have both provided good help for me in the past.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Dan Thurman wrote:

I have looked into Edit/Preference and for the life
of me, I am unable to determine why my menu-fonts are
so tiny, like a size 6 or something. I cannot even
read it.

Seems that my Firefox is not taking the system font
size although the system-colors are fine.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?

Do you use GNOME or KDE?

Firefox is affected by GNOME font settings
(gnome-control-center, Appearance, Fonts)

I use KDE and for some reason I need to go
into the
(gnome-control-center, Appearance, Fonts, Details)
panel and set the DPI to 96.
Interestingly, xdpyinfo correctly reports my
screen as 145 dpi and KDE apps look good without
forcing the DPI in the KDE fonts panel.

If you use KDE, you should also try to have this
running in a terminal:
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
otherwise, the settings will be ignored.

When experimenting with this stuff, be careful
because the refresh is not always automatic;
it can become really confusing.

Best regards.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
"Antti J. Huhtala"

ti, 2008-04-01 kello 16:39 +0100, Chris G kirjoitti:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 06:23:06PM +0300, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> >
> > ti, 2008-04-01 kello 09:51 -0600, Aaron Konstam kirjoitti:

> > > That changes the size of the font in the display as does ctrl + but does
> > > nothing to the menu fonts. So does Preferences->Content
> > >
> > Yes, I realized Dan was talking about *menu* fonts and not page fonts
> > right after pressing the "Send" button. It was 05:47 local and I should
> > have been in bed for hours.
> > > I would go to: about:config There are lots of font configurations there.
> > > Maybe one will be relevant.
> > It may be more involved than that. No doubt menu font sizes can be
> > altered *somewhere*...
> >
> There are two places that will affect the menu (and other fonts which
> are part of the program rather than of the web pages being
> displayed):-
>
> The 'skin' being used, I *think* you may be able to change the
> font sizes used in the chrome directory under .mozilla.
>
> The desktop being used may set font sizes and firefox probably
> tries to inherit these.

Thanks, Chris. Every interested party should test this in their earliest
opportunity...
> --
> Chris Green

Antti