Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 AM
"Y Uanlux"

Default Fedora 8 i386 or X86_64 for duo core 2 laptop

Hi,
I tried to install Fedora 8 on* a new laptop with duo core 2. Could someone point me to pros and cons of i386 vs x86_64 kernel? if this was discussed on this list, please point me to? I have suspended this mail list for a peirod of time.

thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 AM
"Y Uanlux"

Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 AM
"Alastair Neil"

Unless you have a specific need for a large address space, go with
i386. The x86_64 is going to inflate memory usage both in disk usage
and for running applications. SUN produced a version of UltraSPARC 8
that had the processor extensions of release 9 but was 32 bit, because
of customer demand and the fact that (at least in SPARC) 64 bit
pointer were more expensive to use than 32 bit ones so there was a
performance penalty.