-   -   ups with nut and hal (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/62336-ups-nut-hal.html)

"Amadeus W.M." 04-01-2008 12:13 AM

ups with nut and hal

Does anyone have nut with hal working for a ups connected to a usb port?

I'm trying to get mine to work, and the docs say gnome-power-manager
should pop-up and let me see and do things, but nothing happened.

lsusb sees the ups on a usb port, but that's all I can say. I believe no
driver is being loaded for the ups, so probably hal (or maybe udev) is
not doing what should be doing. I'll be happy to provide any necessary
information to figure this out. I'd appreciate any clue from anyone who
has this thing working under hal.

Thanks!

Bruno Wolff III 04-01-2008 10:26 AM

ups with nut and hal

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 00:13:33 +0000,
"Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84@verizon.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have nut with hal working for a ups connected to a usb port?
>
> I'm trying to get mine to work, and the docs say gnome-power-manager
> should pop-up and let me see and do things, but nothing happened.
>
> lsusb sees the ups on a usb port, but that's all I can say. I believe no
> driver is being loaded for the ups, so probably hal (or maybe udev) is
> not doing what should be doing. I'll be happy to provide any necessary
> information to figure this out. I'd appreciate any clue from anyone who
> has this thing working under hal.

I have a ups with a usb connection and am using nut to monitor it. I haven't
tested that it shuts down properly since rawhide switched to upstart, but
it did work previously.

I don't use gnome-power-manager though. I hand edited the config files
and use the 'ups' service to watch it. usbhid-ups is the driver for
most usb ups's in rawhide. Before that it was newhidups.

"Amadeus W.M." 04-02-2008 01:29 AM

ups with nut and hal

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 05:26:05 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 00:13:33 +0000,
> "Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone have nut with hal working for a ups connected to a usb
>> port?
>>
>> I'm trying to get mine to work, and the docs say gnome-power-manager
>> should pop-up and let me see and do things, but nothing happened.
>>
>> lsusb sees the ups on a usb port, but that's all I can say. I believe
>> no driver is being loaded for the ups, so probably hal (or maybe udev)
>> is not doing what should be doing. I'll be happy to provide any
>> necessary information to figure this out. I'd appreciate any clue from
>> anyone who has this thing working under hal.
>
> I have a ups with a usb connection and am using nut to monitor it. I
> haven't tested that it shuts down properly since rawhide switched to
> upstart, but it did work previously.
>
> I don't use gnome-power-manager though. I hand edited the config files
> and use the 'ups' service to watch it. usbhid-ups is the driver for most
> usb ups's in rawhide. Before that it was newhidups.

Thanks, I know all this. Nut is supposed to work with hal, automatically,
for usb ups's, with no manual configuration, and I only wanted to know if
it's really working and how can I test if mine is.

Bruno Wolff III 04-05-2008 05:33 PM

ups with nut and hal

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:29:28 +0000,
"Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84@verizon.net> wrote:

> Thanks, I know all this. Nut is supposed to work with hal, automatically,
> for usb ups's, with no manual configuration, and I only wanted to know if
> it's really working and how can I test if mine is.

Well a miminal test might be to run upsc to see if you can get the ups
status.
If you really want to test the system, you can pull the power and see if
you get on battery status messages displayed. The default is to send a
warning that should show up in any terminal windows you have open.
If you want to test that shutdown works correctly, you probably want to
change the battery threshold as deep cycling the batteries is not good
for them and you don't really want to do that just for tests.
If you do this please post back here how it works. It wouldn't surprise
me if this no longer works correctly with the switch to upstart. I eventually
will get around to testing this, but it isn't high on my list of things to do.

Bill Davidsen 04-07-2008 05:18 PM

ups with nut and hal

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

Does anyone have nut with hal working for a ups connected to a usb port?

I'm trying to get mine to work, and the docs say gnome-power-manager
should pop-up and let me see and do things, but nothing happened.

lsusb sees the ups on a usb port, but that's all I can say. I believe no
driver is being loaded for the ups, so probably hal (or maybe udev) is
not doing what should be doing. I'll be happy to provide any necessary
information to figure this out. I'd appreciate any clue from anyone who
has this thing working under hal.

I run GNOME, and all I did was plug in the cable. I have a power icon on
the bar, and I can configure what it does. So trouble-free that I'm
about to reinstall my firewall from Slackware to take advantage of the
pain-free "just works" capability.

I would love to monitor several UPS from a single machine, but I don't
really have time to test.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>