Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default Fedora Core 8 and dvd::rip from freshrpm's problem

After a clean install of fc8, a full yum update, I then add freshrpms and install dvdrip. I then setup a project, rip the dvd, but the preview fails. I have searched their forum and found some issues but it seems non apply, there is no actual error other then that the file isn't created?

Anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 AM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

Joseph L. Casale spake thusly:

> After a clean install of fc8, a full yum update, I then add freshrpms
> and install dvdrip. I then setup a project, rip the dvd, but the preview
> fails. I have searched their forum and found some issues but it seems
> non apply, there is no actual error other then that the file isn't
> created?

Uninstall it and then Use the livna repo[1] instead of Freshrpms.

If you still have problems, file a bug report with them.[2]

[1] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

[2] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/Bugzilla

--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com

Old 04-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 03:13 +0000, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> Joseph L. Casale spake thusly:
>
> > After a clean install of fc8, a full yum update, I then add freshrpms
> > and install dvdrip. I then setup a project, rip the dvd, but the preview
> > fails. I have searched their forum and found some issues but it seems
> > non apply, there is no actual error other then that the file isn't
> > created?
>
> Uninstall it and then Use the livna repo[1] instead of Freshrpms.
>
> If you still have problems, file a bug report with them.[2]
>
> [1] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
>
> [2] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/Bugzilla

My experience has been the opposite. For the longest time Xine went
bananas playing back .flv files until I switched everything over to
Freshrpms. Then, everything worked. I dunno, everyones' mileage will
vary! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

Ric Moore spake thusly:

>> Uninstall it and then Use the livna repo[1] instead of Freshrpms.
>>
>> If you still have problems, file a bug report with them.[2]
>>
>> [1] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
>>
>> [2] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/Bugzilla
>
> My experience has been the opposite. For the longest time Xine went
> bananas playing back .flv files until I switched everything over to
> Freshrpms. Then, everything worked. I dunno, everyones' mileage will
> vary! Ric

Several years ago, I used all of rpmforge instead of livna because they
had a better package selection.

livna has improved greatly since that time (as has Fedora itself).

Just for the heck of it, I gave RPMForge a try again recently (with F8)
and ran into some problems.

freshrpms is part of RPMforge and using it by itself these days doesn't
give you much choice in the way of packages. One would be better off
with the full-blown rpnmforge.

But as you said, ymmv.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 01:45 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 03:13 +0000, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> > Joseph L. Casale spake thusly:
> >
> > > After a clean install of fc8, a full yum update, I then add freshrpms
> > > and install dvdrip. I then setup a project, rip the dvd, but the preview
> > > fails. I have searched their forum and found some issues but it seems
> > > non apply, there is no actual error other then that the file isn't
> > > created?
> >
> > Uninstall it and then Use the livna repo[1] instead of Freshrpms.
> >
> > If you still have problems, file a bug report with them.[2]
> >
> > [1] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
> >
> > [2] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/Bugzilla
>
> My experience has been the opposite. For the longest time Xine went
> bananas playing back .flv files until I switched everything over to
> Freshrpms. Then, everything worked. I dunno, everyones' mileage will
> vary! Ric

There is a problem with totem and xine on the installed Fedora. The
Livna versions work as do the freshrpms I suspect. I always need to
install totem-xine form livna to get totem to work.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"

Aaron Konstam spake thusly:

> There is a problem with totem and xine on the installed Fedora. The
> Livna versions work as do the freshrpms I suspect. I always need to
> install totem-xine form livna to get totem to work. --

I watched a DVD a few days ago with Fedora's totem-xine and had no
trouble at all. But then, I'm also running Fedora 9.