Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
William Perkins

Default Desktop zoom not working for Fedora-8

There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
Fedora-7.

This is show stopper for us. Our vision impaired users are screaming bloody
murder about not being able to use this feature with Fedora-8. We have
had to install Fedora-7 in place of Fedora-8 on those systems, and we will
have to do this Fedora-7 install on all of our servers in order to have
all systems using the same distribution version of Linux.

We understand a change to the Xorg software was made to the Fedora-8
version to accommodate users of multiple displays. This change apparently
broke the Zoom feature and on the Fedora-8 distribution the Zoom feature
was disabled. Apparently there is a patch to the X windows server that
can be used to re-enable the Zoom feature, but there appears to be no
information available that documents how you get this patch and implement
the feature.

We will be testing Fedora-9 when it is released to see if the Zoom feature
has been fixed. Otherwise, we will continue to use Fedora-7 as long as we
can until an alternative software distribution can be found, Our having
to use Fedora-7 over Fedora-8 puts a real crimp in our development effort.

Bill

----
William M. Perkins E-mail - wmp@grnwood.net
The Greenwood UNIX Systems Administration
Reston, Virginia (Solaris, Linux, HP-UX)

Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Alan Cox

> We will be testing Fedora-9 when it is released to see if the Zoom feature
> has been fixed. Otherwise, we will continue to use Fedora-7 as long as we
> can until an alternative software distribution can be found, Our having
> to use Fedora-7 over Fedora-8 puts a real crimp in our development effort.

More information would be useful - eg which card is affected - and for
that matter what does xrandr show ?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 AM
"William M. Perkins"

On 2008.03.31 18:39, Alan Cox wrote:
> > We will be testing Fedora-9 when it is released to see if the Zoom
> feature
> > has been fixed. Otherwise, we will continue to use Fedora-7 as
> long
> as we
> > can until an alternative software distribution can be found, Our
> having
> > to use Fedora-7 over Fedora-8 puts a real crimp in our development
> effort.
>
> More information would be useful - eg which card is affected - and
> for
> that matter what does xrandr show ?

Okay... I have one example of a laptop that has had problems but is
currently running Fedora-8: An IBM A31p Thinkpad. I have two more of
these laptops that had Fedora-8 installed on them that have now been
reverted to Fedora-7 because of the Zoom problem. The other systems
currently running Fedora-8 are server systems that are not running X
Windows. There are some workstations in remote locations running
either Fedora-8, Fedora-7 or some version of Ubuntu that are not aware
of the problem or are not using the feature.

The Zoom feature tries to work with this laptop but fails to return to
the original virtual desktop size and does not allow the mouse to push
the borders of windows that are smaller than the virtual window. X has
to be restarted to restore the original largest desktop.

Video card used in the IBM A31p Thinkpad:

lspci -v
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 LX
[Mobility FireGL 7800 M7] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: IBM Unknown device 0518
Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66MHz, medium
devsel, latency 66, IRQ 11
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
Memory at d0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at d0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
Kernel modules: radeonfb

# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 175, current 1600 x 1200, maximum 1600 x 1200
default connected 1600x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1600x1200 85.0* 75.0 70.0 65.0 60.0
1400x1050 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
1280x960 85.0 60.0
1152x864 75.0 100.0 85.0 70.0 60.0
1024x768 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0 87.0
800x600 85.0 75.0 72.0 60.0 56.0 70.0
65.0
640x480 85.0 75.0 73.0 67.0 60.0
1280x1024 85.0 75.0 60.0
1440x900 60.0
1360x768 60.0
1280x800 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
1280x768 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
1280x720 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
1152x768 55.0
960x720 60.0
928x696 60.0
896x672 75.0 60.0
960x600 85.0 75.0 73.0 70.0 60.0
832x624 75.0
960x540 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
840x525 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
700x525 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
640x512 85.0 75.0 60.0
720x450 60.0
720x400 88.0 70.0 85.0
680x384 60.0
640x400 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
576x432 100.0 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
640x384 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
640x360 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0
640x350 85.0
576x384 55.0
512x384 85.0 75.0 70.0 60.0 87.0
416x312 75.0
400x300 85.0 75.0 72.0 60.0 56.0
320x240 85.0 75.0 73.0 60.0
360x200 85.0
320x200 85.0
320x175 85.0

And since the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file I am using is small:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Cheers!

--
William M. Perkins, KJ4ASH UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
The Greenwood ARES AEC Henrico County, VA

Old 04-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Les

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 20:22 -0400, William M. Perkins wrote:
> [...]
> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Videocard0"
> Driver "radeon"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Videocard0"
> DefaultDepth 24
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 24
> Modes "1600x1200" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
> "800x600" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>

> Cheers!
>
> --
> William M. Perkins, KJ4ASH UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
> The Greenwood ARES AEC Henrico County, VA

I have Fedora 7 here and 8 on two other machines and I didn't even know
about the zoom. I wish I had. But it doesn't work here either. Is
there something that has to be set to enable it? Is it just called
desktop zoom or how should I google it? Glaucoma here makes reading web
pages and finding Icons difficult sometimes, along with some
applications I need to run.

Regards,
Les H

Old 04-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 18:23 -0700, Les wrote:

> I have Fedora 7 here and 8 on two other machines and I didn't even know
> about the zoom. I wish I had. But it doesn't work here either. Is
> there something that has to be set to enable it? Is it just called
> desktop zoom or how should I google it? Glaucoma here makes reading web
> pages and finding Icons difficult sometimes, along with some
> applications I need to run.

Les, I'm still running FC7 and I just use left-ctrl + left-alt + numpad
plus-key OR numpad-minus-key to change resolutions, up or down. You do
have to have those resolutions defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "metamodes" "1280x1024 +0+0; 1280x960 +0+0; 1280x800+0+0; 1280x720 +0+0;
1152x864 +0+0; 1152x768 +0+0; 1024x768 +0+0; 800x600 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Not sure what flat-panels do though. I'm still running a Large boss-hawg
multisync, which handles resolution changes on the fly like a charm. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 18:23 -0700, Les wrote:
> I have Fedora 7 here and 8 on two other machines and I didn't even
> know about the zoom. I wish I had. But it doesn't work here either.
> Is there something that has to be set to enable it? Is it just called
> desktop zoom or how should I google it? Glaucoma here makes reading
> web pages and finding Icons difficult sometimes, along with some
> applications I need to run.

If you use compiz (desktop effects), there's an option to use it to zoom
parts of the screen. There's a Gnome Compiz preferences tool which
makes setting options for it much easier.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 18:23 -0400, William Perkins wrote:
> There is a feature on X windows when used in Fedora-7 that allowed
> you to zoom the desktop in and out using ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus.
> This feature does not work with the Fedora-8 version of X windows. This
> feture does not even work with the same xorg.conf file that was used with
> Fedora-7.
>
> This is show stopper for us. Our vision impaired users are screaming bloody
> murder about not being able to use this feature with Fedora-8. We have
> had to install Fedora-7 in place of Fedora-8 on those systems, and we will
> have to do this Fedora-7 install on all of our servers in order to have
> all systems using the same distribution version of Linux.
>
> We understand a change to the Xorg software was made to the Fedora-8
> version to accommodate users of multiple displays. This change apparently
> broke the Zoom feature and on the Fedora-8 distribution the Zoom feature
> was disabled. Apparently there is a patch to the X windows server that
> can be used to re-enable the Zoom feature, but there appears to be no
> information available that documents how you get this patch and implement
> the feature.
>
> We will be testing Fedora-9 when it is released to see if the Zoom feature
> has been fixed. Otherwise, we will continue to use Fedora-7 as long as we
> can until an alternative software distribution can be found, Our having
> to use Fedora-7 over Fedora-8 puts a real crimp in our development effort.
>
> Bill

Thhere is something srang going on. ctrl-+ and ctrl - will magnify and
shrink a window. Are you talaking about this or are you referring to the
capabilities you get from: System->Personal->Associative Technologies?