Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Chris Hobson

Default CUPS printers and HP 5600 printer

I have an HP 5600 printer that worked just fine with my Fedora box until
I changed the black cartridge with a new HP one. On my windows machine,
I got messages about aligning the print cartridge, and everything worked
fine after that. However, using CUPS on my (much preferred) Fedora box,
the printout is always less than good quality, and the system complains
that the printer is low on ink (which it isn't, since its a new
cartridge and only used a few times so far)

The printout quality is a slightly slight shade of blue / black, rather
than the impressive deep black I get on that (horrible) Windows machine.

It seems to be due to the CUPS printer as my wife gets the same thing
and she has a Ubuntu machine

Thanks!

Chris

Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Rick Stevens

Chris Hobson wrote:
I have an HP 5600 printer that worked just fine with my Fedora box until
I changed the black cartridge with a new HP one. On my windows machine,
I got messages about aligning the print cartridge, and everything worked
fine after that. However, using CUPS on my (much preferred) Fedora box,
the printout is always less than good quality, and the system complains
that the printer is low on ink (which it isn't, since its a new
cartridge and only used a few times so far)

The printout quality is a slightly slight shade of blue / black, rather
than the impressive deep black I get on that (horrible) Windows machine.

It seems to be due to the CUPS printer as my wife gets the same thing
and she has a Ubuntu machine

Make sure you have the hplip RPM installed and run hp-align and hp-info.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
- -
- IGNORE that man behind the keyboard! -
- - The Wizard of OS -

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Tim Waugh

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 14:44 -0600, Chris Hobson wrote:
> I have an HP 5600 printer that worked just fine with my Fedora box until
> I changed the black cartridge with a new HP one. On my windows machine,
> I got messages about aligning the print cartridge, and everything worked
> fine after that. However, using CUPS on my (much preferred) Fedora box,
> the printout is always less than good quality, and the system complains
> that the printer is low on ink (which it isn't, since its a new
> cartridge and only used a few times so far)
>
> The printout quality is a slightly slight shade of blue / black, rather
> than the impressive deep black I get on that (horrible) Windows machine.
>
> It seems to be due to the CUPS printer as my wife gets the same thing
> and she has a Ubuntu machine

Double-check the cartridge part number. It seems that HPLIP is quite
picky about having the correct cartridge part number, and to complicate
matters HP printers and cartridges seem to vary across the world, so
that a cartridge bought overseas is not necessarily going to work right
(when HPLIP is driving the printer).

Does this help?

Tim.
*/