Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Default CORBA errors on GNOME login

Running GNOME in fully updated F8 on a dual-core x86_64. When I log in,
several apps or applets produce pop-up error boxes with the following
text:

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
information for <applet>. Some of your configuration settings
may not work properly.

Clicking the "details" button produces one to several occurrences of the
message:

Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
IDLmg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

This started a while back, and it would occur on the first login after
boot, but subsequent logins would work fine. More recently, it's
started happening on every login. The applets that produce the error
vary, but they include

- Power Manager
- gnome-terminal
- Evolution's calendar/alarm app
- nm-applet

and others.

Anybody have a clue what's going on? Which component should I BZ?

TIA.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Les

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 15:36 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Running GNOME in fully updated F8 on a dual-core x86_64. When I log in,
> several apps or applets produce pop-up error boxes with the following
> text:
>
> An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
> information for <applet>. Some of your configuration settings
> may not work properly.
>
> Clicking the "details" button produces one to several occurrences of the
> message:
>
> Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
> IDLmg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
>
> This started a while back, and it would occur on the first login after
> boot, but subsequent logins would work fine. More recently, it's
> started happening on every login. The applets that produce the error
> vary, but they include
>
> - Power Manager
> - gnome-terminal
> - Evolution's calendar/alarm app
> - nm-applet
>
> and others.
>
> Anybody have a clue what's going on? Which component should I BZ?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> Matthew Saltzman
Have you attempted to create a new user to see if a new account
experiences the same issue? In my experience,
such failures are the result of a memory flaw, either hardware or a
program that is overwriting system memory some how due to a bad
malloc/free frame. It need not be any of the programs you are currently
running, because such an error only manifests when the affected system
routine or memory is accessed again.

Regards,
Les H