Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Jonathan Allen

Default Where is xinetd in F8 ?

Hi All,

What seems to have happened to xinetd in F8 ? I have migrated a server
from FC2 to F8 and most things went over fine, but we have one particular
dedicated socket service that I can't get working. It used to have its
"config" file in /etc/xinetd.d and worked just fine, but I can't find
xinetd on F8 - what is the equivalent ?

Jonathan

Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What seems to have happened to xinetd in F8 ? I have migrated a server
> from FC2 to F8 and most things went over fine, but we have one particular
> dedicated socket service that I can't get working. It used to have its
> "config" file in /etc/xinetd.d and worked just fine, but I can't find
> xinetd on F8 - what is the equivalent ?
>
> Jonathan

Xinetd isn't installed by default unless you bring in a service that
requires it (like telnet-server).

All you need to do is (as root) is:

yum install xinetd

and it will appear in its usual place.

--
Wolfe

Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
"Mauriat M"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Jonathan Allen
<jonathan@barumtrading.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What seems to have happened to xinetd in F8 ? I have migrated a server
> from FC2 to F8 and most things went over fine, but we have one particular
> dedicated socket service that I can't get working. It used to have its
> "config" file in /etc/xinetd.d and worked just fine, but I can't find
> xinetd on F8 - what is the equivalent ?

Does yum not find it?
# yum install xinetd

-Mauriat

Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Rex Dieter

Jonathan Allen wrote:

> What seems to have happened to xinetd in F8 ?

It's just not installed by default (anymore). If you want/need it, install
it,
yum install xinetd

-- Rex

-- Rex

Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Jonathan Allen

Rex & Mauriat,

> > What seems to have happened to xinetd in F8 ?
>
> [xinetd]'s just not installed by default (anymore). If you want/need it,
> install it:
> yum install xinetd

Thanks, I have done that and started it. How do I get it to automatically
run from any reboot?

Jonathan

Old 03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 15:57 +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Rex & Mauriat,
>
> > > What seems to have happened to xinetd in F8 ?
> >
> > [xinetd]'s just not installed by default (anymore). If you want/need it,
> > install it:
> > yum install xinetd
>
> Thanks, I have done that and started it. How do I get it to automatically
> run from any reboot?
---
chkconfig xinetd on

Craig