Old 03-31-2008, 06:14 AM
"charles f. zeitler"

Default gorged harddrive

i've been pruning my "downloads" disk,
rather drastically, and not making a dent.

today some more, less drastic but still
hefty, same result.

revisited du- checked it twice - three
times- yup, it reports one directory at
800+ gb- on a 400gb disk!

fsck (forced) failed to report any problems,
there don't seem to be any symlinks,
and the sub-direcory sizes are sane...

any ideas welcome, and appreciated.

charles zeitler

: Do What Thou Wilt :

: Shall Be :

: The Whole of The Law :

--Aleister Crowley--

Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Ed Greshko

charles f. zeitler wrote:

i've been pruning my "downloads" disk,
rather drastically, and not making a dent.

today some more, less drastic but still
hefty, same result.

revisited du- checked it twice - three
times- yup, it reports one directory at
800+ gb- on a 400gb disk!

fsck (forced) failed to report any problems,
there don't seem to be any symlinks,
and the sub-direcory sizes are sane...

any ideas welcome, and appreciated.

Instead of telling people what you are seeing it would be better to show the
actual commands and output.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 AM
Nicholas Robinson

Surely your hard drive is only doing what it wilt.

Why complain then?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
"charles f. zeitler"

--- Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

> charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > i've been pruning my "downloads" disk,
> > rather drastically, and not making a dent.
> >
> > today some more, less drastic but still
> > hefty, same result.
> >
> > revisited du- checked it twice - three
> > times- yup, it reports one directory at
> > 800+ gb- on a 400gb disk!
> >
> > fsck (forced) failed to report any problems,
> > there don't seem to be any symlinks,
> > and the sub-direcory sizes are sane...
> >
> > any ideas welcome, and appreciated.
>
> Instead of telling people what you are seeing it would be better to show the
> actual commands and output.

good point.

[fedora_8@Nyarlethotep ~]$ df
/dev/sda8 13250836 11459264 1107608 92% /
/dev/sda9 1898468 825572 974904 46% /tmp
/dev/sda11 270882768 259964688 5414052 98% /home
/dev/sda10 1898468 1156484 643992 65% /var
/dev/sdc1 480719056 370452080 105383136 78% /home/fedora_8/music_vids
/dev/sda2 101105 17986 77898 19% /boot
tmpfs 1037552 248 1037304 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1 384578164 330445976 34596748 91% /home/fedora_8/torrents_isos

/dev/sdb1 is the drive under discussion.

[fedora_8@Nyarlethotep ~]$ du -sb t*s/*
34256010522 torrents_isos/backup
883393808812 torrents_isos/data
58352749159 torrents_isos/finished
75197043648 torrents_isos/finnished
18222558607 torrents_isos/isos
4781438 torrents_isos/logs
16384 torrents_isos/lost+found
4096 torrents_isos/lost_meta
193903286 torrents_isos/meta
1402434610 torrents_isos/new
75585799469 torrents_isos/porn
4096 torrents_isos/rar
1318803 torrents_isos/shas
4096 torrents_isos/tmp
97996487 torrents_isos/total_meta.tar.bz2
4096 torrents_isos/zip

somethings wrong with t*s/data ....

charles zeitler

: Do What Thou Wilt :

: Shall Be :

: The Whole of The Law :

--Aleister Crowley--

Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
"charles f. zeitler"

--- Nicholas Robinson <npr@bottlehall.co.uk> wrote:

> Surely your hard drive is only doing what it wilt.
>
> Why complain then?

somethings not doing its 'true' will,
and i'd like to fix it.

charles zeitler

: Do What Thou Wilt :

: Shall Be :

: The Whole of The Law :

--Aleister Crowley--

Old 03-31-2008, 11:17 PM
"Ashley M. Kirchner"

charles f. zeitler wrote:

883393808812 torrents_isos/data

somethings wrong with t*s/data ....

This is very indicative of an open file handle not having been
closed properly, and even after removing the physical file, the drive
structure still believes it's there.

In my case, that was a syslog issue where I deleted a file, but its
handle remained open. Restarting syslog took care of it.

In your case, I would suggest restarting whatever process it is that
writes to those files on that drive, and failing that, restart the
computer and force a file check on that drive.

--
H | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:37 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 17:17 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > 883393808812 torrents_isos/data
> >
> > somethings wrong with t*s/data ....
> >
> This is very indicative of an open file handle not having been
> closed properly, and even after removing the physical file, the drive
> structure still believes it's there.

That's because it is still there. Linux has no builtin operation for
explicitly removing files, just for unlinking their names. When the last
reference is gone, it obligingly frees the space because there's no
longer any way to access the data. A reference means either an on-disk
structure (a directory entry) or an in-process file handle.

> In my case, that was a syslog issue where I deleted a file, but its
> handle remained open. Restarting syslog took care of it.

You unlinked the name (using 'rm'). The space was reclaimed by the
system when the syslog process terminated.

> In your case, I would suggest restarting whatever process it is that
> writes to those files on that drive, and failing that, restart the
> computer and force a file check on that drive.

This doesn't explain why the 'du' output for torrents_isos/data gives a
result larger than the size of the filesystem. A run of fsck should take
care of it.

poc

Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Ed Greshko

charles f. zeitler wrote:

[...]

OK.... I believe I know what the problem is. The torrents_isos/porn
directory makes things seem larger than what they really are....

No, just kidding.....

I believe you may have a bunch of non-completed torrent downloads. When you
start a torrent download the client will reserve the space and it will be
reflected in the output of "du" but *not* in the output of "df". Thus with
"du" you can have a situation where it "thinks" more disk space is being
used than it actually is. FWIW, this is normal.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 AM
"charles f. zeitler"

--- "Ashley M. Kirchner" <ashley@pcraft.com> wrote:

> charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > 883393808812 torrents_isos/data
> >
> > somethings wrong with t*s/data ....
> >
> This is very indicative of an open file handle not having been
> closed properly, and even after removing the physical file, the drive
> structure still believes it's there.
>
> In my case, that was a syslog issue where I deleted a file, but its
> handle remained open. Restarting syslog took care of it.
>
> In your case, I would suggest restarting whatever process it is that
> writes to those files on that drive, and failing that, restart the
> computer and force a file check on that drive.

thanks for the reply.

i have already tried re-booting & fsck'ing...
might have to resort to more drastic measures...

charles zeitler

: Do What Thou Wilt :

: Shall Be :

: The Whole of The Law :

--Aleister Crowley--

Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 AM
"charles f. zeitler"

--- Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 17:17 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> > charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > > 883393808812 torrents_isos/data
> > >
> > > somethings wrong with t*s/data ....
> > >
> > This is very indicative of an open file handle not having been
> > closed properly, and even after removing the physical file, the drive
> > structure still believes it's there.
>
> That's because it is still there. Linux has no builtin operation for
> explicitly removing files, just for unlinking their names. When the last
> reference is gone, it obligingly frees the space because there's no
> longer any way to access the data. A reference means either an on-disk
> structure (a directory entry) or an in-process file handle.
>
> > In my case, that was a syslog issue where I deleted a file, but its
> > handle remained open. Restarting syslog took care of it.
>
> You unlinked the name (using 'rm'). The space was reclaimed by the
> system when the syslog process terminated.
>
> > In your case, I would suggest restarting whatever process it is that
> > writes to those files on that drive, and failing that, restart the
> > computer and force a file check on that drive.
>
> This doesn't explain why the 'du' output for torrents_isos/data gives a
> result larger than the size of the filesystem. A run of fsck should take
> care of it.
>
> poc

you'd think it would, eh?

oh well. i'd like to track it down, but i need the free space,
so i'll probably:
1) insert a spare drive
2) copy that dir over
3) delete original dir