Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 AM
"Robert Rabinoff"

Default Getting Fedora installed

Dear
list,
*
I have a greying
homebrew PC, Athlon 1200Mz chip, 30 Gb + 120 Gb HD's, some
more-or-less
generic network
card, and a Microtek 710S monitor and a DVD drive.* I have 256Mb RAM, and
the
installer insists on
setting up a swap file right away.* When I go to install
Fedora
off the DVD
everything is fine, the graphics look great (the screen resolution appears to be
1024x768),
the packages
apparently install OK, everything is fine until I click the
Reboot button.*
*
The machine then
reboots, loads Fedora and gets to a screen that has some extremely low
resolution,
and what appears to
be the following list of setup tasks:
*
Welcome
License
Info
Firewall
SELinux
Date and
Time
Hardware
Profile
Create
User.
*
The font is immense
-- most of the items go off the right hand side of the
screen.
*
There's a caret to
the left, and hitting Enter moves it from one line to the next -- until it gets
to Hardware
Profile.* At
that point it hangs.* Hitting the reset button just repeats the
process.* It appears that it's
not recognizing the
monitor although as I mentioned, the installer had no problem with it at
all.* I'm going
to give it one more
go this evening, hooking the monitor in directly rather than thru the KVM
switch.
*
Anybody have any
ideas?* Possible hardware compatibility issues?* I've asked around
locally but nobody
seems to have any
solutions.
*
Thanks very
much,
Bob

Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 00:32 -0600, Robert Rabinoff wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a greying homebrew PC, Athlon 1200Mz chip, 30 Gb + 120 Gb HD's,
> some more-or-less
> generic network card, and a Microtek 710S monitor and a DVD drive. I
> have 256Mb RAM, and the
> installer insists on setting up a swap file right away. When I go to
> install Fedora
> off the DVD everything is fine, the graphics look great (the screen
> resolution appears to be 1024x768),
> the packages apparently install OK, everything is fine until I click
> the Reboot button.
>
> The machine then reboots, loads Fedora and gets to a screen that has
> some extremely low resolution,
> and what appears to be the following list of setup tasks:
>
> Welcome
> License Info
> Firewall
> SELinux
> Date and Time
> Hardware Profile
> Create User.
>
> The font is immense -- most of the items go off the right hand side of
> the screen.
>
> There's a caret to the left, and hitting Enter moves it from one line
> to the next -- until it gets to Hardware
> Profile. At that point it hangs. Hitting the reset button just
> repeats the process. It appears that it's
> not recognizing the monitor although as I mentioned, the installer had
> no problem with it at all. I'm going
> to give it one more go this evening, hooking the monitor in directly
> rather than thru the KVM switch.
>
> Anybody have any ideas? Possible hardware compatibility issues? I've
> asked around locally but nobody
> seems to have any solutions.
----
sounds like it's in 640 x 480 mode and it's not properly diagnosing
either your monitor or your video card....my guess, the video card and
that hooking it directly to the screen instead of the KVM won't change
things.

Next time, instead of re-installing, try this...

<Control><Alt><F1> # to get a virtual console
Login as root
type 'init 3'
type 'system-config-display --reconfig'
see if you can manually set the video card and the monitor (the monitor
perhaps to generic WHICHEVER and something like 1024x768 or whatever is
appropriate for your display)
Save it
type 'startx' to test it
type 'system-config-display --reconfig' until you get something that
works
type 'shutdown now -r' to reboot and the 'first boot' should run in a
mode that's usable.

Craig