-   -   Linux, Vista dual boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/62032-linux-vista-dual-boot.html)

Jim 03-30-2008 10:57 PM

Linux, Vista dual boot

Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what
filesystem type does Vista use ??

Ian Malone 03-30-2008 11:16 PM

Linux, Vista dual boot

Jim wrote:
Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what
filesystem type does Vista use ??

Vista uses NTFS of some description. I have a Vista/F8 dual boot which
uses a shared NTFS partition for data quite happily.

--
imalone

"Mike Burger" 03-30-2008 11:54 PM

Linux, Vista dual boot

Last I checked, NTFS support in the Linux kernel was, basically, read
only...how do you share the data partition so easily?

> Jim wrote:
>> Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what
>> filesystem type does Vista use ??
>>

> Vista uses NTFS of some description. I have a Vista/F8 dual boot which
> uses a shared NTFS partition for data quite happily.
>
> --
> imalone

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Craig White 03-31-2008 12:01 AM

Linux, Vista dual boot

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 19:54 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
> Last I checked, NTFS support in the Linux kernel was, basically, read
> only...how do you share the data partition so easily?
>
> > Jim wrote:
> >> Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what
> >> filesystem type does Vista use ??
> >>

> > Vista uses NTFS of some description. I have a Vista/F8 dual boot which
> > uses a shared NTFS partition for data quite happily.
----
apparently the ntfs-3g package works extremely well in read/write mode
so older admonitions about read only on ntfs partitions might be
outdated.

Craig

Ian Malone 03-31-2008 12:05 AM

Linux, Vista dual boot

Mike Burger wrote:

Jim wrote:

Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what
filesystem type does Vista use ??

(Ian Malone:)

Vista uses NTFS of some description. I have a Vista/F8 dual boot which
uses a shared NTFS partition for data quite happily.

> Last I checked, NTFS support in the Linux kernel was, basically, read
> only...how do you share the data partition so easily?

Kernel NTFS is read-only (as far as I know), but the user-space NTFS
support using FUSE does do read-write (I've got this on a F6/XP machine
too[1]). It should be noted, I suppose, that this is a single user
laptop and I'm not doing anything funny with ACLs.

[1] Haven't had the time to upgrade to F8.

--
imalone

"Michael D. Setzer II" 03-31-2008 12:24 AM

Linux, Vista dual boot