Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Linux, Vista dual boot

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 19:54 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
> Last I checked, NTFS support in the Linux kernel was, basically, read
> only...how do you share the data partition so easily?

The abboive uis not true. Just install ntfs-3g and a ntfs file system
can be mounted-read write.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Ian Malone

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 19:54 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:

Last I checked, NTFS support in the Linux kernel was, basically, read
only...how do you share the data partition so easily?

The abboive uis not true. Just install ntfs-3g and a ntfs file system
can be mounted-read write.

Well it is true: ntfs-3g is a user space file-system, not a kernel one.
It's a minor point, but someone looking for kernel support could
easily conclude there's no ntfs read-write.

Aside: it's amazing how quickly ntfs-3g has become accepted, after years
of slow kernel development. Ultimately it was built using knowledge
acquired by the kernel project; but it's also a FUSE success story, as
the developers had always suggested that achieving enough stability to
go in the kernel was too high a hurdle.

--
imalone

Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Jim Cornette

Tim wrote:

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 21:07 -0800, Fred Erickson wrote:

I have a notebook that dual boots Fedora 8 and Vista. Both the
partitions that Fedora and Vista use are primary. The Vista Windows
Explorer and My Computer can not see the Linux partition.

My fairly new laptop came with Vista, and I added Fedora to it, and
Ubuntu. My Vista doesn't notice the Linux partitions in the Windows
Explorer file browser, either.

I wonder if the original poster's problem might be down to the partition
types being set as a Windows type, but reformatted into a Linux type. I
would expect Windows to see that as a partition to be further worked on.

My partition types are set to the same type as they're actually
formatted as.

I have seen the partitions that were on LVMs show in Windows. The
standard type linux partitions do not show on systems that I have noticed.

Jim
--
What the gods would destroy they first submit to an IEEE standards
committee.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
TNWestTex

Ian Malone-2 wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>> Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what
>> filesystem type does Vista use ??
>>

> Vista uses NTFS of some description. I have a Vista/F8 dual boot which
> uses a shared NTFS partition for data quite happily.
>
> --
> imalone

VISTA ntfs has some quirks. The os makes hidden restore points for itself
that earlier versions of ntfs know nothing about. Sharing a data partition
gives no problems but simply mounting the system partition can dereference
those restore points. Happens from dual boot to XP as well. You can move
the VISTA partition with gparted to set up a grub boot partition and resize
it as long as you have the system DVD. Google for details.

Robert McBroom