Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Fennix

Default OT?: Now mysteriously have a hostname defined

I noticed today in my terminal window I now have a host name of
"bogon".* I had never set a hostname for my Fedora8 home system.* I can
see from my logwatch and cron system mails that the delivery to this
host name started March 25th but none of my mails shows anything that
seems relevant to what has set this hostname.* Oddly on the 26th the
system mails were addresses again to localhost.localdomain but again
reverted on the 27th to being addresses to bogon.* I have checked the
man pages on the hostname command to locate where the name is defined.*
Have checked the files /etc/host, /etc/hosts.conf, /etc/hostname (does
not exist), /etc/nsswitch.conf, ... but this name does not show in any
of the files I have looked at so far.* Any ideas where to look
further?* I am now wondering whether my system has been compromised
somehow...* Googleing the word bogon shows me the meaning of of bogon
which does not seem helpful in this case.

Checking /var/log/messages-20080330 shows the use of this hostname with a reboot I had done on the 24th.* Still cannot see where or how this was set.

fennix

Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 05:44 +0800, Fennix wrote:
> I noticed today in my terminal window I now have a host name of
> "bogon". I had never set a hostname for my Fedora8 home system. I
> can see from my logwatch and cron system mails that the delivery to
> this host name started March 25th but none of my mails shows anything
> that seems relevant to what has set this hostname. Oddly on the 26th
> the system mails were addresses again to localhost.localdomain but
> again reverted on the 27th to being addresses to bogon. I have
> checked the man pages on the hostname command to locate where the name
> is defined. Have checked the
> files /etc/host, /etc/hosts.conf, /etc/hostname (does not
> exist), /etc/nsswitch.conf, ... but this name does not show in any of
> the files I have looked at so far. Any ideas where to look further?
> I am now wondering whether my system has been compromised somehow...
> Googleing the word bogon shows me the meaning of of bogon which does
> not seem helpful in this case.
>
> Checking /var/log/messages-20080330 shows the use of this hostname
> with a reboot I had done on the 24th. Still cannot see where or how
> this was set.
>
> fennix
Normally the name is set in the /etc/sysconfig/network file.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Fennix

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 05:44 +0800, Fennix wrote:

> I noticed today in my terminal window I now have a host name of

> "bogon". *I had never set a hostname for my Fedora8 home system. *I

> can see from my logwatch and cron system mails that the delivery to

> this host name started March 25th but none of my mails shows anything

> that seems relevant to what has set this hostname. *Oddly on the 26th

> the system mails were addresses again to localhost.localdomain but

> again reverted on the 27th to being addresses to bogon. *I have

> checked the man pages on the hostname command to locate where the name

> is defined. *Have checked the

> files /etc/host, /etc/hosts.conf, /etc/hostname (does not

> exist), /etc/nsswitch.conf, ... but this name does not show in any of

> the files I have looked at so far. *Any ideas where to look further?

> I am now wondering whether my system has been compromised somehow...

> Googleing the word bogon shows me the meaning of of bogon which does

> not seem helpful in this case.

> Checking /var/log/messages-20080330 shows the use of this hostname

> with a reboot I had done on the 24th. *Still cannot see where or how

> this was set.

> fennix

Normally the name is set in the /etc/sysconfig/network file.

"Your butt is mine." -- Michael Jackson, Bad

Thank you for your suggestion.* There the name is defined as localhost.localdomain (as I expected).* There was a message that this comes from avahi and perhaps it is better to stop this program.* I will be trying this.

Fennix