Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Jim Duda

Default gdm login busted

I recently upgraded from fc7 to fc8, about a week ago.

Today, my gdm login is busted. After I enter my user name and password,
gdm just hangs, and never starts up the desktop.

I have to boot the computer into init 3, login to a shell, then run startx.

I do know what I could have done to break this.

I no longer have a "login screen" configuration entry in
system->administration, if that means anything to anyone.

I uninstalled and reinstalled gdm, no luck.

Same issue with any login, including root.

Any ideas?

Jim

Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 16:43 -0400, Jim Duda wrote:
> I recently upgraded from fc7 to fc8, about a week ago.
>
> Today, my gdm login is busted. After I enter my user name and password,
> gdm just hangs, and never starts up the desktop.
>
> I have to boot the computer into init 3, login to a shell, then run startx.
>
> I do know what I could have done to break this.
>
> I no longer have a "login screen" configuration entry in
> system->administration, if that means anything to anyone.
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled gdm, no luck.
>
> Same issue with any login, including root.
>
> Any ideas?

Are you sure you're starting the right desktop (Gnome, KDE, ...)? gdm
and kdm can both start any of the desktop environments and your default
may be incorrectly set.

poc

Old 03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
David Timms

Jim Duda wrote:

I recently upgraded from fc7 to fc8, about a week ago.

Today, my gdm login is busted. After I enter my user name and password,
gdm just hangs, and never starts up the desktop.

I have to boot the computer into init 3, login to a shell, then run startx.

I do know what I could have done to break this.

----/-----
Cause I don't ;-)

What day did it last work normally ?
review /var/log/yum.log {and others if the logs have rolled over} for
around that date to see if any unexpected updates were made.

Do you normally reboot every day ?

Do you have an up2date kernel 2.6.24... ?

That icon might now be called System|Administration|login window
{/usr/bin/gdmsetup}.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 PM
"Jim Duda"

I figured out what was happening.
My home directory is NFS mounted to another server machine.
During the last day when gdm logins worked, I apparently installed NetworkControl-gnome.
I'm not sure why, I don't have wireless on this machine. Just futzing around with the new fc8 toy.
For whatever reason, NetworkControl-gnome was causing my eth0 to drop, losing my NFS connection and the home mount.
When I attempted to login with the home mount missing, gdm appeared to freeze.
I removed NetworkControl-gnome and my problem has been resolved.
Jim