Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Joe Zeff

Default no internet connection with Fedora16

On 01/10/2012 06:24 PM, John De Graw wrote:

Hello Fedora Community, I just installed Fedora 16 and although I am
using a wired connection, Firefox can't connect. I updated the program
and can add software just fine but web browser keeps giving me error
messages. What am I missing here? It was a fresh install with no other
OS on the computer. DoggoneBob.

Make sure it's not set to work in Offline Mode. My copy keeps resetting
that every time it restarts and so far I haven't gotten it to stop.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> Make sure it's not set to work in Offline Mode. *My copy keeps resetting
> that every time it restarts and so far I haven't gotten it to stop.

Browse to "about:config" and set "network.manage-offline-status" to "false".

IIRC this happens when you use the network service instead of
NetworkManager. Firefox queries NetworkManager for the offline
status, and thinks you're offline when it's not in use. Setting that
option prevents Firefox from doing this.

-T.C.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Alchemist

Hello John, maybe you can describe a more little bit? Perhaps there is
a problem with your network configuration, nor Firefox. Do you managed
your wired connction settings using Network-Manager?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Joe Zeff

Browse to"about:config" and set "network.manage-offline-status" to "false".

IIRC this happens when you use the network service instead of
NetworkManager. Firefox queries NetworkManager for the offline
status, and thinks you're offline when it's not in use. Setting that
option prevents Firefox from doing this.

Thank you; I'd even tried asking the Mozilla site and didn't find this.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Timothy Murphy

T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

>> Make sure it's not set to work in Offline Mode. My copy keeps resetting
>> that every time it restarts and so far I haven't gotten it to stop.
>
> Browse to "about:config" and set "network.manage-offline-status" to
> "false".
>
> IIRC this happens when you use the network service instead of
> NetworkManager. Firefox queries NetworkManager for the offline
> status, and thinks you're offline when it's not in use. Setting that
> option prevents Firefox from doing this.

Thanks v. much for that.

But why does Firefox do this?
It shows a surprising lack of common sense.

I put it on a par with NetworkManager's habit of editing /etc/resolv.conf
and removing the nameservers mentioned there if it cannot see them.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:36:56PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>
> >> Make sure it's not set to work in Offline Mode. My copy keeps resetting
> >> that every time it restarts and so far I haven't gotten it to stop.
> >
> > Browse to "about:config" and set "network.manage-offline-status" to
> > "false".
> >
> > IIRC this happens when you use the network service instead of
> > NetworkManager. Firefox queries NetworkManager for the offline
> > status, and thinks you're offline when it's not in use. Setting that
> > option prevents Firefox from doing this.
>
> Thanks v. much for that.
>
> But why does Firefox do this?
> It shows a surprising lack of common sense.
>
> I put it on a par with NetworkManager's habit of editing /etc/resolv.conf
> and removing the nameservers mentioned there if it cannot see them.

Probably because NetworkManager has capabilities for setting static
wired connections, and for setting hands-off on DNS entries. The
Firefox maintainers have chosen to assume that most users are not
going to mess with the innards of networking scripts, and that letting
NM manage connections is the most prudent move if you have to make one
choice for everyone. People who like to mess with innards will
undoubtedly figure out how to change configurations. The number of
users who would be baffled by delays in browsing when their connection
drops likely far outnumbers those who would be stymied by Offline Mode
in this case.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Timothy Murphy

Paul W. Frields wrote:

>> > Browse to "about:config" and set "network.manage-offline-status" to
>> > "false".
>> >
>> > IIRC this happens when you use the network service instead of
>> > NetworkManager. Firefox queries NetworkManager for the offline
>> > status, and thinks you're offline when it's not in use. Setting that
>> > option prevents Firefox from doing this.
>>
>> Thanks v. much for that.
>>
>> But why does Firefox do this?
>> It shows a surprising lack of common sense.
>>
>> I put it on a par with NetworkManager's habit of editing /etc/resolv.conf
>> and removing the nameservers mentioned there if it cannot see them.
>
> Probably because NetworkManager has capabilities for setting static
> wired connections, and for setting hands-off on DNS entries. The
> Firefox maintainers have chosen to assume that most users are not
> going to mess with the innards of networking scripts, and that letting
> NM manage connections is the most prudent move if you have to make one
> choice for everyone. People who like to mess with innards will
> undoubtedly figure out how to change configurations. The number of
> users who would be baffled by delays in browsing when their connection
> drops likely far outnumbers those who would be stymied by Offline Mode
> in this case.

Why not just tell the user the connection has dropped,
if that is the situation?
You seem to be saying that the user is supposed to deduce this
from the fact that Firefox has changed to Offline mode.
That seems crazy to me.
Even IE has more sense than that.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 01:48:47PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> Thanks v. much for that.
> >>
> >> But why does Firefox do this?
> >> It shows a surprising lack of common sense.
> >>
> >> I put it on a par with NetworkManager's habit of editing /etc/resolv.conf
> >> and removing the nameservers mentioned there if it cannot see them.
> >
> > Probably because NetworkManager has capabilities for setting static
> > wired connections, and for setting hands-off on DNS entries. The
> > Firefox maintainers have chosen to assume that most users are not
> > going to mess with the innards of networking scripts, and that letting
> > NM manage connections is the most prudent move if you have to make one
> > choice for everyone. People who like to mess with innards will
> > undoubtedly figure out how to change configurations. The number of
> > users who would be baffled by delays in browsing when their connection
> > drops likely far outnumbers those who would be stymied by Offline Mode
> > in this case.
>
> Why not just tell the user the connection has dropped,
> if that is the situation?

Your OS does that already. I just dropped my wired connection a few
moments ago to test this was correct. Firefox doesn't know whether
it's on purpose or accident, so I imagine the developers didn't want
to make an incorrect assumption. After all, you can still browse
against your cache if needed, which is quite useful in a number of
cases.

> You seem to be saying that the user is supposed to deduce this
> from the fact that Firefox has changed to Offline mode.
> That seems crazy to me.
> Even IE has more sense than that.

Not what I'm suggesting. Just saying your OS already tells you your
connection has dropped, and Firefox is capable of reacting to that.
But this is a Firefox design question, it sounds like. I'm not a
Firefox developer so I can't speak for them.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On 11/01/12 2:32 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 07:06 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> Browse to"about:config" and set "network.manage-offline-status" to
>> "false".
>>
>> IIRC this happens when you use the network service instead of
>> NetworkManager. Firefox queries NetworkManager for the offline
>> status, and thinks you're offline when it's not in use. Setting that
>> option prevents Firefox from doing this.
>
> Thank you; I'd even tried asking the Mozilla site and didn't find this.

This has been discussed before on the list. Note that you also need to
configure NM to manage your interface, otherwise NM will report it as
offline even when it's online. It affects some programs, probably those
that depend on Gnome, but not others. I know it affects Evolution for
example.

poc

Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Joe Zeff