Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Joe Zeff

Default no internet connection with Fedora16

On 01/11/2012 06:26 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

Firefox doesn't know whether
it's on purpose or accident

...and doesn't need to. Dropped is dropped. And, if the user's trying
to browse, he/she probably isn't aware of what's happened and should be
told.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Joe Zeff

This has been discussed before on the list. Note that you also need to
configure NM to manage your interface, otherwise NM will report it as
offline even when it's online.

My desktop doesn't use NM, and for a very good reason: it nuked my DNS
numbers every time I rebooted until I permanently disabled it. I've not
had a single issue of that kind since I went back to using network.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On 11/01/12 2:16 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 06:43 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> This has been discussed before on the list. Note that you also need to
>> configure NM to manage your interface, otherwise NM will report it as
>> offline even when it's online.
>
> My desktop doesn't use NM, and for a very good reason: it nuked my DNS
> numbers every time I rebooted until I permanently disabled it. I've not
> had a single issue of that kind since I went back to using network.

And I've never had an issue with NM since I started using it, though to
judge from the list traffic, other people have. Go figure.

poc

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Joe Zeff

And I've never had an issue with NM since I started using it, though to
judge from the list traffic, other people have. Go figure.

My laptop uses NM because network doesn't handle WiFi gracefully. The
only problem I've ever had with it is having it list large numbers of
WiFi access points that don't exist where I am simply because the last
time I used WiFi it found them. I'd much rather that it didn't keep
data on any hotspots from one boot to another or, at least, none that
you haven't connected to.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Timothy Murphy

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> And I've never had an issue with NM since I started using it, though to
> judge from the list traffic, other people have. Go figure.

In my experience NM works about 95%, or even 99%, of the time;
but when there is a problem it is extremely difficult
(or perhaps I should say, I find it extremely difficult)
to work out what is wrong.

As an example, I was in Italy last week and there was an electrical storm.
The internet went down, and I got a little window on my Fedora/KDE laptop,
saying (IIRC) "Secrets", with the word Password: followed by a space.
But the window would not accept any input.
When I closed the window it just came up again.
As I didn't realise the internet had gone down,
it just appeared to me that the laptop had suffered a fit.

Personally, I think NM tries to do too much;
I would much prefer an application that just dealt with WiFi.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 AM
John De Graw

I have the computer wired to a hub which is wired to the router.* Three other computers (wireless & wired) are going through the same router and having no difficulties.* When I run the "ifconfig" command in terminal it says it is up and connected.* When I ran the "ethtool em1" command I got the "cannot get 'wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted' ".* Netstat command results show connection also.* I can "ping" any website I want to with positive results. I just can't get a connection through Firefox or any other web browser I can download.* DoggoneBob. *