Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Fedora User

Default HDMI Frustration

The first time that I plugged my laptop into my HD TV, KDE (I guess it
was KDE) provided a pop-up to configure the second monitor. It
correctly identified it at 1920 x 1080. For some reason, my primary
monitor also adapted to the TV setting and great portions of my desktop
were off the margins. I could not get the sound to work.

Last night I tried again. The good news is that I got HDMI digital
sound to work. However, I could only configure the TV to 1024 x 768.
Upon doing so my laptop screen adapted and my desktop was all scrunched
together.

This brings up two questions:

1. Why do the setting of a second monitor affect the settings of my
primary monitor and;

2. What is preventing me from setting my second monitor to its native
resolution of 1920x1080 (something that I successfully did in the past)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Temlakos

[...]

I notice that myself: a second monitor overrides the settings of the
primary. When I go out to make a presentation, my laptop adapts
itself to the resolution and aspect ratio of the projector that I
plug in to the auxiliary monitor jack. This helps, so that I know
that I'm going to fill whatever "screen" they give me to fill.

Now then: it sounds as though your second-monitor routine is
assuming, incorrectly, that your second monitor is a
standard-definition television set. You want to configure it as a high-definition

television set. Correct?

My experience is not all that great, but I have to tell you: I never
was able to alter the second-monitor setting.

Terry A. Hurlbut

Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Jim

[...]

my vga computer connection to a 42" Sony Bravia has resolution 1360x768
Check the TV user manual to see what resolution it allows.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Fedora User

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:21:09 -0500
Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:

> my vga computer connection to a 42" Sony Bravia has resolution
> 1360x768 Check the TV user manual to see what resolution it allows.

TV supports 1080p which is 1920x1080 AND I realized that resolution the
first time I plugged in my laptop.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Ian Pilcher

man(1) xrandr

Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Fedora User

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:33:11 -0600
Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@gmail.com> wrote:

> man(1) xrandr

Toooooo simple. I'll give it a try and thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Fedora User <fedoradch@gmail.com> wrote:
> The first time that I plugged my laptop into my HD TV, KDE (I guess it
> was KDE) provided a pop-up to configure the second monitor. It
> correctly identified it at 1920 x 1080. For some reason, my primary
> monitor also adapted to the TV setting and great portions of my desktop
> were off the margins. I could not get the sound to work.
>
> Last night I tried again. The good news is that I got HDMI digital
> sound to work. However, I could only configure the TV to 1024 x 768.
> Upon doing so my laptop screen adapted and my desktop was all scrunched
> together.
>
> This brings up two questions:
>
> 1. Why do the setting of a second monitor affect the settings of my
> primary monitor and;
>
> 2. What is preventing me from setting my second monitor to its native
> resolution of 1920x1080 (something that I successfully did in the past)?

Your display is configured to be "cloned" to the newly attached
display, which means they should display the same thing. Of course,
the two displays have wildly different resolutions so that results in
weird behavior like you're seeing.

You need to configure your display to instead "extend" your desktop,
that is, when you move a window or your mouse off to the right, it
will move to the next monitor, instead of both attempting to display
the same thing. To do so, open KDE's System Settings module, go to
Display and Monitor and Size and Orientation. Set your "primary
monitor" to the one you want the KDE panel to appear on, then adjust
the "position" dropdown of the other monitor to be
"above"/"below"/otherwise adjacent to the primary monitor. You might
also want to check the resolution settings while you're there.

> Any help would be appreciated.

-T.C.