Old 03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
don vogt

Default NetworkManager is driving me crazy

I was just about to send in a message with pretty much
this title, so I thought I might as well jump in here.
I just finished installing fc8 from the livecd. I was
using fc7, which I "yum upgraded" from fc4 to fc5 to
fc6 to fc7 with minimal problems. I have been using
Linux since slackware .8 (I believe. It came on 25 or
so floppies that I downloaded over a 1200 baud modem)
and I don't ever remember being so frustrated.
I have NetworkManager running at start-up and
NetworkManager-Dispatcher also. Why? I don't know. I
am connected through a DSL modem and eth0, and dhcp
which I previously managed with "system config
network" for a couple of years without problems. I
have no wireless.
My initial problem was that eth0 was not activated on
start-up, NetworkManager was starting eth0 and then
taking it down, according to /var/log/messages.
According to what I read about NetworkManager, it's
first task is to keep wired connections up. I tried I
tried to RTFM and found no useful information, I tried
google, and found no useful information I tried the FC
wiki, and found no useful information.
I tried to see the NetworkManager-info that the docs
mentioned and found out I don't have that. Finally, by
doing a "rpm -ql NetworkManager I found some "nm"
scripts to get it configured. I still had problems so
I tried to "yum remove NetworkManager and dispatcher"
and it, for dependency, removed pidgin, which I want
to message with my daughter. I used pidgin in fc7
without NetworkManager very easily. So I tried "yum
install pidgin. Lo and behold it also installed
NetworkManager.
Now I have NetworkManager installed and running.
As a paranoid procedure, I usually disable eth0 when
I am not using the computer for a while and then turn
it on when I come back. Now, when I turn it on I get a
segfault in system-config-network
"Determining IP information for eth0 ..
/network-functions line 313 segnentation fault iplink
set dev $/up> dev/null 2&1"

Sorry if I shouldn't have used this title. I just
needed to vent a little (a lot?) I am not quite sure
what to do next, remove NetworkManager (Gosh, I get
tired of typing that) somehow without removing pidgin,

get a new IM program? ( I hate to do that because
configuring pidgin was problematic for me.) Set
Network Manager to not run as a service, turn off the
modem when I leave?
I am probably doing something dumb, it tends to come
with age, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 09:26 -0700, don vogt wrote:
> [...]
> I still had problems so
> I tried to "yum remove NetworkManager and dispatcher"
> and it, for dependency, removed pidgin, which I want
> to message with my daughter. I used pidgin in fc7
> without NetworkManager very easily. So I tried "yum
> install pidgin. Lo and behold it also installed
> NetworkManager.
>
> Sorry if I shouldn't have used this title. I just
> needed to vent a little (a lot?) I am not quite sure
> what to do next, remove NetworkManager (Gosh, I get
> tired of typing that) somehow without removing pidgin,
>
> get a new IM program? ( I hate to do that because
> configuring pidgin was problematic for me.) Set
> Network Manager to not run as a service, turn off the
> modem when I leave?
> I am probably doing something dumb, it tends to come
> with age, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Pidgin needs something in libnm_glib.so.0, which is provided by
NetworkManager-glib. This doesn't sound like such a great thing, but
evolution also has that requirement.

If it bothers you, file a Bugzilla entry suggesting that the relevant
functions be broken out of NetworkManager-glib.

You should be able to remove other NetworkManager packages without
removing NetworkManager-glib. You should also be able to just shut it
off (/sbin/service NetworkManager stop; /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager
stop; same for NetworkManagerDispatcher--the first stops it running now,
the second prevents it from starting on boot).

I don't really understand yum's view of dependencies. The logic of
removing a package and everything it depends on, and everything that
depends on those packages, etc., escapes me.[1] Use rpm to remove
packages if you don't want yum to run amok deleting other stuff.

[1] I could understand removing a package and everything it depends on
that doesn't, in turn, have something else depending on it. But this
way, it seems like removing almost anything can end up ripping most of a
functioning system out by the roots.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 09:26 -0700, don vogt wrote:
> I was just about to send in a message with pretty much
> this title, so I thought I might as well jump in here.
> I just finished installing fc8 from the livecd. I was
> using fc7, which I "yum upgraded" from fc4 to fc5 to
> fc6 to fc7 with minimal problems. I have been using
> Linux since slackware .8 (I believe. It came on 25 or
> so floppies that I downloaded over a 1200 baud modem)
> and I don't ever remember being so frustrated.
> I have NetworkManager running at start-up and
> NetworkManager-Dispatcher also. Why? I don't know. I
> am connected through a DSL modem and eth0, and dhcp
> which I previously managed with "system config
> network" for a couple of years without problems. I
> have no wireless.
> My initial problem was that eth0 was not activated on
> start-up, NetworkManager was starting eth0 and then
> taking it down, according to /var/log/messages.
> According to what I read about NetworkManager, it's
> first task is to keep wired connections up. I tried I
> tried to RTFM and found no useful information, I tried
> google, and found no useful information I tried the FC
> wiki, and found no useful information.
> I tried to see the NetworkManager-info that the docs
> mentioned and found out I don't have that. Finally, by
> doing a "rpm -ql NetworkManager I found some "nm"
> scripts to get it configured. I still had problems so
> I tried to "yum remove NetworkManager and dispatcher"
> and it, for dependency, removed pidgin, which I want
> to message with my daughter. I used pidgin in fc7
> without NetworkManager very easily. So I tried "yum
> install pidgin. Lo and behold it also installed
> NetworkManager.
> Now I have NetworkManager installed and running.
> As a paranoid procedure, I usually disable eth0 when
> I am not using the computer for a while and then turn
> it on when I come back. Now, when I turn it on I get a
> segfault in system-config-network
> "Determining IP information for eth0 ..
> /network-functions line 313 segnentation fault iplink
> set dev $/up> dev/null 2&1"
>
> Sorry if I shouldn't have used this title. I just
> needed to vent a little (a lot?) I am not quite sure
> what to do next, remove NetworkManager (Gosh, I get
> tired of typing that) somehow without removing pidgin,
>
> get a new IM program? ( I hate to do that because
> configuring pidgin was problematic for me.) Set
> Network Manager to not run as a service, turn off the
> modem when I leave?
> I am probably doing something dumb, it tends to come
> with age, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

If you have no wireless forget about NM and just run network.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:14 PM
don vogt

Matthew Saltzman said

[...]

Thanks I will fool with removing that.

Craig said:

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off
chkconfig network on
service NetworkManager stop
service network restart

at this point, system-config-network will work just
like it always has.

NetworkManager is useful when you are using wireless
or just dhcp but
'network' service works fine with dhcp too.

Craig

Thanks. I did those commands and it seems to be
working fine. That is the way I ran in fc7. I guess a
"yum upgrade" would have avoided the whole thing. I
still have the fc7 partition so, when I am comfortable
in fc8, I may run the upgrade to compare the
differences.
Thanks.