Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Default converting base64 emails back to text

greetings,

now that fedora project has started sending emails as;

is there a way to convert emails back to text so that local searching of
emails can be done?

searching on "Subject:" seldom provides a means to find what a post is
actually about.

tia.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Ed Greshko

On 01/10/2012 06:06 AM, g wrote:
> greetings,
>
> now that fedora project has started sending emails as;

> is there a way to convert emails back to text so that local searching of
> emails can be done?
>
> searching on "Subject:" seldom provides a means to find what a post is
> actually about.

You may have to do some splitting of the message to separate the encoded
parts... But the encoded parts can always be un-encoded using something
like the perl MIME::Base64 module. That module is not part of the
distro, but could be gotten from CPAN.

I've not looked at what they do since I've not had a need, but you can
also investigate these that do come with as part of the distro.

perl-Email-MIME
perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper
perl-Email-MIME-ContentType
perl-Email-MIME-Encodings

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 AM
John Wendel

now that fedora project has started sending emails as;

is there a way to convert emails back to text so that local searching of
emails can be done?

searching on "Subject:" seldom provides a means to find what a post is
actually about.

You may have to do some splitting of the message to separate the encoded
parts... But the encoded parts can always be un-encoded using something
like the perl MIME::Base64 module. That module is not part of the
distro, but could be gotten from CPAN.

I've not looked at what they do since I've not had a need, but you can
also investigate these that do come with as part of the distro.

perl-Email-MIME
perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper
perl-Email-MIME-ContentType
perl-Email-MIME-Encodings

"man base64" should get you going. It's a little easier than the perl stuff.

John

Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/10/2012 12:54 PM, John Wendel wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 03:14 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 01/10/2012 06:06 AM, g wrote:
>>> greetings,
>>>
>>> now that fedora project has started sending emails as;

>>> is there a way to convert emails back to text so that local
>>> searching of
>>> emails can be done?
>>>
>>> searching on "Subject:" seldom provides a means to find what a post is
>>> actually about.
>> You may have to do some splitting of the message to separate the encoded
>> parts... But the encoded parts can always be un-encoded using something
>> like the perl MIME::Base64 module. That module is not part of the
>> distro, but could be gotten from CPAN.
>>
>> I've not looked at what they do since I've not had a need, but you can
>> also investigate these that do come with as part of the distro.
>>
>> perl-Email-MIME
>> perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper
>> perl-Email-MIME-ContentType
>> perl-Email-MIME-Encodings
>>

> "man base64" should get you going. It's a little easier than the perl
> stuff.

It may be easier, where easier is a relative term, but it may not be as
flexible in the overall scheme. I get the feeling the OP may want to
re-assemble the messages into email format such that 2 copies of the
message need not exist. Without doing more work, something like
perl-Email-MIME would facilitate that or maybe even
perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper?

It sounds like a fun project and then an interesting procmail recipe
experiment.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 AM

On 01/10/2012 05:26 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 12:54 PM, John Wendel wrote:
<>

>> "man base64" should get you going. It's a little easier than the perl
>> stuff.
-=-

i had already checked 'man base64' and from what i read, it will not
do what i would like.

i am wanting a 'preprocessor' that will restore text as mail comes in
so that emails will have text that can be searched instead of base64
encoding.

> perl-Email-MIME would facilitate that or maybe even
> perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper?
-=-

i can not remark on this as i do not have them installed to see what
they do.

i was hoping for something that would process the base64 emails as they
come in before they hit email client.

from trying to google what i want, there where too many hits due to
google's limited ability to sort as needed to find what i want.

all in all, it looks like when i get to f16 and have problems, because
of limitations to search just on "Subject:", and we all know about how
poor that is, i will be doing a lot of posting to solve problems when
i run into them.

> It sounds like a fun project and then an interesting procmail recipe
> experiment.
-=-

i had hoped that 'procmail' would be an easy way to gain my desires,
but from what i have read in 'procmail*' pages, i do not believe i
will be able to use it.

so, consider this post as warning of future post. 8-D

i thank you both for your replies.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 AM

On 01/10/2012 05:26 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 12:54 PM, John Wendel wrote:
<>

>> "man base64" should get you going. It's a little easier than the perl
>> stuff.
-=-

i had already checked 'man base64' and from what i read, it will not
do what i would like.

i am wanting a 'preprocessor' that will restore text as mail comes in
so that emails will have text that can be searched instead of base64
encoding.

> perl-Email-MIME would facilitate that or maybe even
> perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper?
-=-

i can not remark on this as i do not have them installed to see what
they do.

i was hoping for something that would process the base64 emails as they
come in before they hit email client.

from trying to google what i want, there where too many hits due to
google's limited ability to sort as needed to find what i want.

all in all, it looks like when i get to f16 and have problems, because
of limitations to search just on "Subject:", and we all know about how
poor that is, i will be doing a lot of posting to solve problems when
i run into them.

> It sounds like a fun project and then an interesting procmail recipe
> experiment.
-=-

Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/10/2012 02:07 PM, g wrote:
> so, consider this post as warning of future post. 8-D

I'm pretty sure I know what you want....

You want a pre-processor to take incoming emails that are in encoded in
base64 and un-encode it before storage in the mailbox.

I don't know of any utility that currently exists that does that. Which
is why I suggested you may, probably, will have to write your own
utility/pre-processor. My reference to procmail was not to say that
"procmail" itself had any capabilities in that area but that it would be
the natural vehicle to call the pre-processor if you are running the
mail server. How the pre-processor would be dependent on how you access
email.

I've not searched for any existing utility since I keep all of my emails
on an imap server and text based searches from email clients work just
fine as the un-encoding is done behind the scenes and I've never found
the need to directly search my messagestore with external tools.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Tim

On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 22:06 +0000, g wrote:
> now that fedora project has started sending emails as;

> is there a way to convert emails back to text so that local searching
> of emails can be done?

You could pipe your mail through a local mailserver, one that transcodes
on the way through. Various mail/list servers do that, and you can do
just the same thing, but picking the output encoding that you want used.

I have to say, though, that I haven't noticed it sending mails in that
encoding. I do look at message sources, from time to time, and base64
has been a bit of a rarity.

Is it this server doing it? Often, one the mail headers will mention a
transcoding, and you can see which one did it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 AM

On 01/10/2012 06:30 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 02:07 PM, g wrote:
>> so, consider this post as warning of future post. 8-D
>
> I'm pretty sure I know what you want....
>
> You want a pre-processor to take incoming emails that are in encoded in
> base64 and un-encode it before storage in the mailbox.
-=-

correct.

> I don't know of any utility that currently exists that does that. Which
> is why I suggested you may, probably, will have to write your own
> utility/pre-processor. My reference to procmail was not to say that
> "procmail" itself had any capabilities in that area but that it would be
> the natural vehicle to call the pre-processor if you are running the
> mail server. How the pre-processor would be dependent on how you access
> email.
-=-

i understand you suggestion of using "procmail". i played with it back
in 90's, to convert waste of html. it was not a successful adventure, so
i gave up on it.

now, amount of 'sugar' gained for 'dimes' spent, just does not justify
relearning operation of 'procmail' and trial and error to get it right.

what i believe i will do is check procmail.org to see if there may be
something already working. tho, with my luck, i doubt that i will find
what i want.

if not, i will try google one more time with some new search params, tho
i doubt that will help, considering what all i tried for over an hour
before i gave up and posted to list.

> I've not searched for any existing utility since I keep all of my emails
> on an imap server and text based searches from email clients work just
> fine as the un-encoding is done behind the scenes and I've never found
> the need to directly search my messagestore with external tools.
-=-

having your own mail server running is an advantage that i have not seen
great need for, considering what all i would have to go thru to set it
up and then maintain it.

as for running web searches, google is just an out and out waste because
even when using 'advanced mode', it is still lacking in ability to
refine search params to narrow hits.

if i had time and finances, i would create a web search site that worked
strictly with algebraic and boolean expressions.

it is looking more and more like i will be posting with questions
when i can not find what i am looking for in "Subject:".

there are many other 'irons in fire' that have a higher priority.

i do thank you for your time in replying.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 AM

On 01/10/2012 01:13 PM, Tim wrote:
<>

> You could pipe your mail through a local mailserver, one that transcodes
> on the way through. Various mail/list servers do that, and you can do
> just the same thing, but picking the output encoding that you want used.
-=-

would you happen to know of a server that has ability built in, instead of
having to build up operation, as Ed suggest?

> I have to say, though, that I haven't noticed it sending mails in that
> encoding. I do look at message sources, from time to time, and base64
> has been a bit of a rarity.
-=-

it may be that my searches of late are hitting post that happen to all be
sent in 'base64'. in past 2 months, i have run 'body' searches for threads
that i know contained what i was looking for, but results where zero.

i was looking for a thread last week that i had tagged, but i did not
recall exactly what "Subject:" was. i then looked thru tagged threads
and found what i wanted. when i looked at sources, they where all in
'base64'.

> Is it this server doing it? Often, one the mail headers will mention a
> transcoding, and you can see which one did it.
-=-

could be, and a good question.

to answer, what does this search tell you;

3101 fedoraproject from 12/01/2011 to 01/12/2012 0319 utc
2812 fedoraproject + Content-Transfer-Encoding base64
289 various type

of which;

183 fedoraproject + This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message

106 which could be anything.

unfortunately, i could not invert search to see how 106 where sent.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.