Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Jeffrey Ross

Default ifcfg-em1 ?

I was in the process of working on a F16 system (upgraded from a F15
system) and had moved it to a new network temporarily and had adjusted
the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 file from the console prior
to shutting down the system so that it would be all set with the new
address, gateway etc when it was restarted.

upon completion of the work I modified the ifcfg-em1 with the new/final
IP address information prior to the shutdown. I was doing this across a
network (ssh) session and as soon as I saved the file I lost all
connectivity to the machine. I logged into the console and found no IP
address information on the em1 interface, didn't think too much of it
since it needed to be restarted anyway and moved it to it final network
location.

After it was in place I noticed that I needed to correct the entries for
DNS to point to itself since it is running a nameserver, no other
changes were made to the file except to adjust "DNS1=..." saved the file
and again I loose network connectivity with no IP information on the em1
interface.

Question is, what is monitoring this file that causes a loss of
connectivity like this? I am looking to simply have a static entry on
the interface and my simple ifcfg-em1 file is as follows:

Thanks,Jeff

DEVICE=em1
HWADDR=00:E0:81:34:85:C2
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
#
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
IPADDR=192.168.10.34
PREFIX=28
DOMAIN=domain.org
NAME="System em1"
IPV6INIT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
GATEWAY=192.168.10.33
DNS1=192.168.10.34
MTU=1500
PEERDNS=yes

Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/09/2012 10:41 AM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> I was in the process of working on a F16 system (upgraded from a F15
> system) and had moved it to a new network temporarily and had adjusted
> the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 file from the console
> prior to shutting down the system so that it would be all set with the
> new address, gateway etc when it was restarted.
>
> upon completion of the work I modified the ifcfg-em1 with the
> new/final IP address information prior to the shutdown. I was doing
> this across a network (ssh) session and as soon as I saved the file I
> lost all connectivity to the machine. I logged into the console and
> found no IP address information on the em1 interface, didn't think too
> much of it since it needed to be restarted anyway and moved it to it
> final network location.
>
> After it was in place I noticed that I needed to correct the entries
> for DNS to point to itself since it is running a nameserver, no other
> changes were made to the file except to adjust "DNS1=..." saved the
> file and again I loose network connectivity with no IP information on
> the em1 interface.
>
> Question is, what is monitoring this file that causes a loss of
> connectivity like this? I am looking to simply have a static entry on
> the interface and my simple ifcfg-em1 file is as follows:
>
> Thanks,Jeff
>
> DEVICE=em1
> HWADDR=00:E0:81:34:85:C2
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> #
> BOOTPROTO=none
> NETMASK=255.255.255.240
> IPADDR=192.168.10.34
> PREFIX=28
> DOMAIN=domain.org
> NAME="System em1"
> IPV6INIT=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> GATEWAY=192.168.10.33
> DNS1=192.168.10.34
> MTU=1500
> PEERDNS=yes

You have NM_CONTROLLED=no. So, assuming you are not using Network
Manager, have you disabled NetworkManager.service and enabled
network.service?

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Jeffrey Ross

[...]

That very well may have been it, I just issued the following:

[root@host etc]# chkconfig network on
[root@host etc]# chkconfig NetworkManager off
Note: Forwarding request to 'systemctl disable NetworkManager.service'.
rm '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service'
rm '/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service'
[root@host etc]# service NetworkManager stop
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
[root@host etc]#
[root@host etc]#
[root@host etc]# service network start
Starting network (via systemctl): [ OK ]
[root@host etc]#

since I don't feel like taking ride over to the datacenter I'm going to
leave the ifcfg-em1 file alone until I have time to test it.

Thanks!
Jeff