Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Paolo De Michele

Default Loading smbd.

On 01/08/2012 02:13 PM, Lucélio Gomes de Freitas wrote:

Hi,

Ref: 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64

What is the right way of always loading SMBD at startup.

Thanks,

hi Lucélio,

the correct command is: chkconfig smb on

this allows you to start at boot the samba daemon

Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Lucélio Gomes de Freitas

Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Brian Hanks

Hi,

Ref: 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64

What is the right way of always loading SMBD at startup.

Thanks,

hi Lucélio,

the correct command is: chkconfig smb on
this allows you to start at boot the samba daemon

Actually, since the reference is to Fedora 16, you'll need to use
systemctl instead of chkconfig.* You might also want to start nmb
depending upon your usage.* A combined set of commands to enable and
start both services would look like this:

systemctl enable smb.service nmb.service

systemctl start smb.service nmb.service

A great reference can be found at the following link:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet

Regards,

Brian

Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 AM
jdow

What is the right way of always loading SMBD at startup.

Thanks,

hi Lucélio,

the correct command is: chkconfig smb on
this allows you to start at boot the samba daemon

Actually, since the reference is to Fedora 16, you'll need to use systemctl
instead of chkconfig. You might also want to start nmb depending upon your
usage. A combined set of commands to enable and start both services would look
like this:

systemctl enable smb.service nmb.service
systemctl start smb.service nmb.service

A great reference can be found at the following link:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet

Ah, I see systemd is a definite downgrade from SysVinit. The syntax is more
arcane and verbose. So it figures the Fedora geeks would love it. <sigh>

Thanks for the link.

{+_+}

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Rich Boyce

On 08/01/12 11:00, Paolo De Michele wrote:

> On 01/08/2012 02:13 PM, Lucélio Gomes de Freitas wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ref: 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64
>>
>> What is the right way of always loading SMBD at startup.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> hi Lucélio,
>
> the correct command is: chkconfig smb on
> this allows you to start at boot the samba daemon

For Fedora 16, it's actually

systemctl enable smb.service

Because Fedora 16 uses systemd, not sysvinit.

Rich