Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Paolo Galtieri

Default Further annoyances with F16

I installed gnome-tweak-tool so I could fix mouse behavior.* When I select Applications->Accessories->Advanced Settings and then choose Desktop it shows the following:

Have file manager handle the desktop** ** off

Computer Icon visible on desktop********* ** on
Home icon visible on desktop************** * * on
Network Servers icon visible on desktop** off
Trash icon visible on desktop*************** ** on
Show mounted volumes on the desktop**** on

I logout and login again and nothing shows up on the desktop.* Even if I drag an application from the menu to the desktop it doesn't show up.* I can drag an application from the menu to the top panel but only there.* In F14 I could choose either the panel or the desktop.

So is there a way to get stuff to show up on the desktop?

Also in F14 after I select which user id I want to login as I can
choose which windowing environment I want, e.g. I can select Gnome, KDE
etc.* This no longer seems to be an option.** Does this option exist in F16?* If so how do I set it up?

Regarding languages there is an issue.* I configured the language to be Italian.* However, the only thing that is displayed in Italian is the date and the text that is displayed when you mouse over the date.* All the menus and other text is still in English.* For example the top menu items are still Applications and Places, and if you mouse over these items the text still shows up in English.* Also there is no easy way to go back to English.* In F14 there is a panel that shows up at the bottom of the login screen that allows me to select a language prior to logging in.* This option does not exist in F16.* As it stands now I have to go into Applications->Other->Language, enter the root password, then select the language.* Why do I need to enter the root password to change the language for my user id?

Paolo

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/08/2012 09:48 AM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> Also in F14 after I select which user id I want to login as I can
> choose which windowing environment I want, e.g. I can select Gnome,
> KDE etc. This no longer seems to be an option. Does this option
> exist in F16? If so how do I set it up?

It exits here. Assuming you are running gdm. When you click on the
user to login as the password dialog pops up and just below the space
for password entry is a the word "Session". Click there are the choices
appear.

I'm not a GNOME user but still use gdm on my main system.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Paolo Galtieri

Also in F14 after I select which user id I want to login as I can
choose which windowing environment I want, e.g. I can select Gnome,
KDE etc. This no longer seems to be an option. Does this option
exist in F16? If so how do I set it up?

It exits here. Assuming you are running gdm. When you click on the
user to login as the password dialog pops up and just below the space
for password entry is a the word "Session". Click there are the choices
appear.

I'm not a GNOME user but still use gdm on my main system.

I'm running gdm and the session option showed up after I installed Xfce,
i.e. it only shows up if you have more than one session installed.
However language option or keyboard option don't show up.

Paolo

Old 01-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/08/2012 11:57 AM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I'm running gdm and the session option showed up after I installed
> Xfce, i.e. it only shows up if you have more than one session
> installed. However language option or keyboard option don't show up.

It makes sense that the option only presents itself if you have another
"Desktop" installed.

As for the selection of language at login.... That, sadly, was removed
a while ago. :-( It is a PITA for me since instead of doing/testing
stuff with one user I need to use multiple users.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Shibi

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed gnome-tweak-tool so I could fix mouse behavior.* When I select
> Applications->Accessories->Advanced Settings and then choose Desktop it
> shows the following:
>
> Have file manager handle the desktop** ** off
> Computer Icon visible on desktop********* ** on
> Home icon visible on desktop************** * * on
> Network Servers icon visible on desktop** off
> Trash icon visible on desktop*************** ** on
> Show mounted volumes on the desktop**** on
>

> I logout and login again and nothing shows up on the desktop.* Even if I
> drag an application from the menu to the desktop it doesn't show up.* I can
> drag an application from the menu to the top panel but only there.* In F14 I
> could choose either the panel or the desktop.
>
> So is there a way to get stuff to show up on the desktop?

Turn "Have file manager handle the desktop" on
then everything is gonna be alright. and there's no need to login
logout in gnome3

> Paolo

Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh

Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 18:48 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I installed gnome-tweak-tool so I could fix mouse behavior. When I
> select Applications->Accessories->Advanced Settings and then choose
> Desktop it shows the following:
>
> Have file manager handle the desktop off
> Computer Icon visible on desktop on
> Home icon visible on desktop on
> Network Servers icon visible on desktop off
> Trash icon visible on desktop on
> Show mounted volumes on the desktop on
>

> I logout and login again and nothing shows up on the desktop. Even if
> I drag an application from the menu to the desktop it doesn't show up.
> I can drag an application from the menu to the top panel but only
> there. In F14 I could choose either the panel or the desktop.
>
> So is there a way to get stuff to show up on the desktop?
That is strange. I did exactly what you did and all those things showed
up on my desktop. Except I turned: Have file manager handle your
desktop-> on

Old 01-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Paolo Galtieri

On 01/08/12 07:45, Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]

Apparently the "Have file manager handle your desktop" is required to
have the icons show up. As soon as I enabled that option the icons
showed up.

Paolo